Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My only guess is that it's a frequency that's near the edge of human detection, hopefully in a range that is beyond the vast majority of the population. There are apps you can download on your smartphone that measure sound frequencies...you could try that and see where it lands. If that sound is present on all cars, my guess is that dogs will really pick up on it.

After listening to the videos above, I hear it too. I test drove a MME last week and didn't hear that sound.
Sponsored

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Did you see a roadshow car or do another test drive? Did you hear it another mach e?
I saw one very early last year at the Washington Auto show, but couldn't get inside it, so no other experience in a Mach-E yet.

That sounds very noticeable. If at least one MME owner confirms that theirs doesn’t make that sound, I would bring it in to the dealer.
I'll be contacting the dealer tomorrow to let them know. They will obviously have no idea/experience yet though.

Any chance your dealer has another Mach-E on the property yet? If their other Mach-Es don't make that noise, have them replace the screen? I definitely couldn't live with that.
I was their first Mach-E, they have some others coming as well. Hopefully we can test those to see.

Ouch! I hear it loud(!) and clear. Definitely annoying and not normal / acceptable.
Yea, it's rather annoying unfortunately.

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up. I would not buy it if that sound was there. You are not paying for a constant irritating noise which will likely never go away. I hear the cabin is very quite or almost sound proof from double pane glass hence the noise will be even more annoying..

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up. I would not buy it if that sound was there. You are not paying for a constant irritating noise which will likely never go away. I hear the cabin is very quite or almost sound proof from double pane glass hence the noise will be even more annoying..
Yeap - the cabin is incredibly quiet, which does make the noise even that much more audible.

Hoping it'll eventually be an easier fix, though I know I'll be in for a long road to figuring it out.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That is not a normal noise. Please keep me posted what the dealer says, I will see what I can do to help

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Yeap - the cabin is incredibly quiet, which does make the noise even that much more audible.

Hoping it'll eventually be an easier fix, though I know I'll be in for a long road to figuring it out.
[/QUOTE
If you don’t have enough miles put on, I would consider returning it to dealer or sending it back to the company for a replacement as you will have constant sense of it’s presence and make the experience less desirable for the rest of the cars life.

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Thanks - will do!
If you don’t have enough miles put on, I would consider returning it to dealer or sending it back to the company for a replacement as you will have constant sense of it’s presence and make the experience less desirable for the rest of the cars life.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I'm curious about a recording as well.

I hear things like whine from old-school CRT monitors that most people don't hear - at least I used to; they aren't around much any more and we all lose hearing as we age. Since I generally will have something on - radio, podcast, etc. - I suspect this would be limited to "first getting in" but it would still annoy me, I fear.
I forgot I used to regularly point out those noises back in the CRT days. I'd walk into a room and instantly hear it even though the person thought it was off. Now i have a constant ringing in my ears -- probably from years and years of working in loud server rooms.

Hopefully this isn't too noticeable or maybe it is a one off thing.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
After waiting 14 months for it? Not likely. If other MMEs don’t have the sound, then it’s fixable.

MJMachForum

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Blue Flex, 2021 Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Coming from the 10” display, it sounds like the back light. I sat ina demo unit and that sound was not present when the car was on.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I would love to know the hours and steps required to replace the display. Not that I ever want to do that but is could be interesting. Hope is not as bad as climate control vacuum reservoir check valve on an E350, that sucker required the removal of entire dashboard.

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
After waiting 14 months for it? Not likely. If other MMEs don’t have the sound, then it’s fixable.
Consider hassling with the service tech who may not even hear it and convincing them about its existence. To them it is not a major issue once the car is sold.
I had a squeaky noise in my prius from one of the front axel which was annoying but hard to replicate at the dealership. After few trips they acknowledged it but refused to fix as it was nothing major and I have now learnt to leave with it.
You didnot pay 50+K to live with a annoying sound which can give you real headaches.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Consider hassling with the service tech who may not even hear it and convincing them about its existence. To them it is not a major issue once the car is sold.
It‘s probably worth seeing if that happens before immediately deciding the car should be returned. Especially when a replacement would not be readily available.

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Coming from the 10” display, it sounds like the back light. I sat ina demo unit and that sound was not present when the car was on.
I'm led to believe it's the backlight of that screen as well. Did some further "testing" and here's the results....

Texted the video to my salesperson today. He confirmed that he can hear it from the video and will get with the sales manager and service manager Monday to discuss.

If anyone has connections with Ford's EV team/service it might help. This will all be new territory for my dealership for sure...
Sponsored

Last edited: