High-pitched "Electrical Whine"

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I took my Mach-E out for a drive yesterday and I could not focus on much other than the screen whine. I was driving 70 MPH with the radio on, and I could hear that buzz over it all. The volume level I'd have to turn the speakers up to to cover it up would be damaging I suspect.

I guess I will just have to get used to it around town, and bring some hearing protectors with me on road trips so when I sit in the car I can sit in silence without getting a headache from the buzz.
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
How many cars have been reported on the forum to have this screen buzz ?
I do think it’s something that affects all Mach-Es, and it’s an issue or not an issue for people depending on how sensitive they are to sounds like this and whether they can physically hear it. I say this because no one has been able to post a video without this sound. A couple of people who thought their Mach-E did not have it did, in fact, have it when they posted a video and others watched/listened to the video.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I do think it’s something that affects all Mach-Es, and it’s an issue or not an issue for people depending on how sensitive they are to sounds like this and whether they can physically hear it. I say this because no one has been able to post a video without this sound. A couple of people who thought their Mach-E did not have it did, in fact, have it when they posted a video and others watched/listened to the video.
Okay, maybe a little if I listen closely (Damn you! if I start to notice it now). There seems to be a minimum at about 80% on mine.

• Sad
Reactions: ARK

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Just back from a ride. Fan off, I can just hear it at 100% brightness if I put my ear at about the steering wheel. Cannot hear it in sitting position. I probably just got lucky with lower amplitude. Short of tinnitus at a much higher tone, my hearing is very good.

For those bothered by a louder driver's display whine, try running at 80% or 90% brightness and see if you get any relief. Could be a quirk of mine, but my driver's display sound/whine is definitely attenuated at 80% if not gone.

Last edited:

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I hear absolutely nothing from my little screen. What I do hear, is an unpleasant fake exterior noise that seems to be for people around the car. With the windows open, it is really annoying. The backup sound is fine. The annoying outside sound goes away in park gear. I wish they had picked another sound or better yet no sound.

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
I can hear my screen buzz even in the passenger seat. And if I put it at 90% brightness it is the worst sound from all brightness for me. I tried another mme at my dealer and it has the exact same buzz as mine. I will have to try more mme to see if it all sounds the same.

• Sad

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I hear absolutely nothing from my little screen. What I do hear, is an unpleasant fake exterior noise that seems to be for people around the car. With the windows open, it is really annoying. The backup sound is fine. The annoying outside sound goes away in park gear. I wish they had picked another sound or better yet no sound.
There should be nothing stopping owners that find it annoying from unplugging the speaker.

No noise from the factory is not a option on new EVs.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I can hear my screen buzz even in the passenger seat. And if I put it at 90% brightness it is the worst sound from all brightness for me. I tried another mme at my dealer and it has the exact same buzz as mine. I will have to try more mme to see if it all sounds the same.
I'm curious both the age of those owners that find it and the age of the test drivers at Ford, since hearing is sensitive to age. I don't understand how Ford didn't catch it.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
All of the EVs and PHEVs I've had over the years make their own really weird noises, including inverters, converters, motor sounds, gear sounds, not to mention pumps, heat pumps, etc. Some of the sounds are kind of warm and comforting to me.

But, there must be something particularly bad about this specific display noise because it is affecting and annoying so many people (almost universally it seems). Ford sure missed on this one. I wonder why this particular noise is so annoying, almost as bad as finger nails on an old chalk board?

Last edited:

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
All of the EVs and PHEVs I've had over the years make their own really weird noises, including inverters, converters, motor sounds, not to mention pumps, heat pumps, etc. Some of the sounds are kind of warm and comforting to me.

But, there must be something particularly bad about this specific display noise because it is affecting and annoying so many people (almost universal it seems). Ford sure missed on this one.
The inverter whirr of EVs or even the hum of a coolant pump, etc. are all fine to me.

This screen makes the electrical noise equivalent of nails on a chalkboard though.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
There should be nothing stopping owners that find it annoying from unplugging the speaker.
Except maybe the risk of going to jail if a pedestrian is hit after intentionally disabling a legally required safety measure.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I'm curious both the age of those owners that find it and the age of the test drivers at Ford, since hearing is sensitive to age. I don't understand how Ford didn't catch it.
Its possible that the prototypes the testers tested came from different batches versus the large batches made for production units - just an assumption. Its not atypical for supplier to provide really sorted and tripled checked early batches that they know are for testing and may not apply same level of control on production units. Just an assumption or identifying one variable. or there may be interference from other electrical components that makes some screens hum louder than others

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I would think you're at risk of that after hitting a pedestrian period. But who's to say the replacement tires you use didn't contribute to your not stopping in time? Or that the aftermarket color you wrapped it wasn't as high-contrast? Where is the liability line drawn on after-sales mods?
Using certain tires or colors aren’t required by law.