High Voltage Battery Junction Box (HVBJB)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I should make a minor correction. I was able to fast charge once, I tried it 3 days after getting the vehicle, was able to charge for 10 minutes. Immediately after getting back in, I got the powertrain malfunction / HV battery warning upon starting the car.

Every attempt following that session would fail to connect to the charger (EVgo, EA, Chargepoint - tried them all, didn't matter) OR it would result in a charge fault and red ring on the LED light inside the port door.

I took delivery in late October. Appears to be a late June/early July build.
That makes more sense. If I were to venture a guess......that charge session experienced something unexpected such as a voltage/current surge and something was welded together and now won't pass the weld check performed by the car at every start up. There are several safety checks and methods designed into the system to avoid those occurances but sometimes stuff happens anyway.

I hope they get you back on the road soon.
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
That makes more sense. If I were to venture a guess......that charge session experienced something unexpected such as a voltage/current surge and something was welded together and now won't pass the weld check performed by the car at every start up. There are several safety checks and methods designed into the system to avoid those occurances but sometimes stuff happens anyway.

I hope they get you back on the road soon.

DC contactor under high load, and high voltage, are difficult to disconnect if they are under load.... major huge arcs which can weld the contacts together if the disconnect gap is too small, disconnect is too slow, or there aren't magnetic 'blowouts' to prevent arcing.

When you are charging and you want to disconnect before charge is complete it is a very good idea to depress the thumb latch, wait a second for the relay to cut the load and open contactor, and THEN pull the plug....

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Those contactors are inside the batteries for a reason, so that the 400V DC is not exposed externally. The Chevy Bolt is exactly the same.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
DC contactor under high load, and high voltage, are difficult to disconnect if they are under load.... major huge arcs which can weld the contacts together if the disconnect gap is too small, disconnect is too slow, or there aren't magnetic 'blowouts' to prevent arcing.

When you are charging and you want to disconnect before charge is complete it is a very good idea to depress the thumb latch, wait a second for the relay to cut the load and open contactor, and THEN pull the plug....
There is a pin that locks the CCS connector to the port. The user can't pull that out even if they tried....unless there was a fault with that mechanism. Then in that case....then yes. Definately make sure the power flow has ceased prior to attempting to disconnect. I press every stop button I can find and make sure the display says it is okay to unplug.

Alaskan_silent_pony

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e premium AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
What is the longest your MME has been in the shop for? I'm currently at 36 days, with no end in sight.

Between covid at the dealership, and parts delays, this is absolutely insane.
After the HVBJB was completed, Ford engineering advised to replace a BECM as well.

I know it's already a lemon based on our state law, I just want my car back....!
I think I have everyone beat so far. Mine will be 90 days at the dealer this Monday with the same issues. They have a BECM and harness ordered to replace. Might just ask them to do the junction box too to be safe.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Heavy sigh - someone on my thread about the dozen errors I saw on my Mach E GT yesterday says his car had the exact same errors and he has subsequently been driving a Fusion while waiting two months (so far) for the HVBJB and BECM to come in.

Then I read here that the OP experienced his car's problems after first use of a DCFC. Guess what I did the day prior to experiencing the errors I saw yesterday.......? I don't yet have a 240V circuit at home, so I've been 120V trickle charging and then decided to take it to an EA spot not far from home when I couldn't find any open L2 chargers. :confused:

My car was delivered to the dealership Tuesday (3/8) and then delivered to me that night. The photo below was taken on Friday (3/11) just before my car was flat-bedded to the shop. Diagnosis will start Monday....... :(
Ford Mustang Mach-E High Voltage Battery Junction Box (HVBJB) IMG_3518

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
Then I read here that the OP experienced his car's problems after first use of a DCFC.
That is interesting, there has been speculation that these failures are sometimes due to HV contactors not functioning properly when needed to supply HV to the DCDC converter that powers LV systems. DCFC may have had something to do with that. Will be watching Carscanner like a hawk after I use DC.

Subsystems fail when powered by the LVB alone and are power starved.

Sorry for the troubles with your new car... it's a sweet ride.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks. We'll see. And the car was a sweet ride........for a day and a half.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks. We'll see. And the car was a sweet ride........for a day and a half.
I am happy and very relieved to say that after one of the longer weekends of my life, my car appears to be 100%. It seems the issues were software configuration, and not any failing parts. Ford is aware and worked with the dealership to resolve the matter. So (for now at least) the car is fine. It's back in our garage, sucking up electrons...

If you're interested in tech details which frankly are beyond my area of expertise, here is what they did:

Performed CMDTC self test with FDRS retrieved DTC'S B115E, B15E1, AND B15E2 from CMR module. Ran OASIS found SSM 50497 for concern. Cleared DTC'S, performed CMR on demand test, passed. Also retrieved DTC'S C0031, C0037 C003A, C0051 U0100, U0140, U0151, U023A U0293 from ABS module, U0401, U0415:27:2E: 2C from IPMA; U0415:85: 0A, U0415:00: 0A, U0415:00:08 from IPC. Cleared all CMDTC’S listed above. Performed on demand tests on ABS IMPA, IPC, all passed. Road tested and rechecked okay. Operating normally at this time.

If anyone knows what this means beyond, "They tested some stuff, found some configuration errors, then fixed them and verified everyone works now," I'd be happy to hear about it!

OP
OP

titan2220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD SR
Country flag
I am happy and very relieved to say that after one of the longer weekends of my life, my car appears to be 100%. It seems the issues were software configuration, and not any failing parts. Ford is aware and worked with the dealership to resolve the matter. So (for now at least) the car is fine. It's back in our garage, sucking up electrons...

If you're interested in tech details which frankly are beyond my area of expertise, here is what they did:

Performed CMDTC self test with FDRS retrieved DTC'S B115E, B15E1, AND B15E2 from CMR module. Ran OASIS found SSM 50497 for concern. Cleared DTC'S, performed CMR on demand test, passed. Also retrieved DTC'S C0031, C0037 C003A, C0051 U0100, U0140, U0151, U023A U0293 from ABS module, U0401, U0415:27:2E: 2C from IPMA; U0415:85: 0A, U0415:00: 0A, U0415:00:08 from IPC. Cleared all CMDTC’S listed above. Performed on demand tests on ABS IMPA, IPC, all passed. Road tested and rechecked okay. Operating normally at this time.

If anyone knows what this means beyond, "They tested some stuff, found some configuration errors, then fixed them and verified everyone works now," I'd be happy to hear about it!
Good to hear! Glad you have a dealership that is prompt as well.

I'm on 2 months without vehicle, and it's simply down to the dealer not performing the repairs at this point. Sigh

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So basically they put the steering wheel straight so the camera wasn't blocked, cleared all the codes, and that fixed it. They didn't actually make any changes here unless there's more than that somewhere. So always park with the steering wheel straight to avoid issues?

Last edited:

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
So basically they put the steering wheel straight so the camera wasn't blocked, cleared all the codes, and that fixed it. They didn't actually make any changes here unless there's more than that somewhere. So always park with the steering wheel straight to avoid issues?
This is very interesting. The first year Porsche Taycan had many 12v drain issues while charging and the Porsche was asking owners with bricked cars if the steering wheel was straight while they were charging their Taycans, implying that not being straight can cause an issue.

This is the Porsche questionnaire about 12v discharge issue (see question about steering wheel position)

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
This is very interesting. The first year Porsche Taycan had many 12v drain issues while charging and the Porsche was asking owners with bricked cars if the steering wheel was straight while they were charging their Taycans, implying that not being straight can cause an issue.

This is the Porsche questionnaire about 12v discharge issue (see question about steering wheel position)
I have heard of other MMEs that had problems due to being parked with the steering wheel askew. Makes me wonder what will happen if someone has to park on a hill with the wheels curbed. ??

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I have heard of other MMEs that had problems due to being parked with the steering wheel askew. Makes me wonder what will happen if someone has to park on a hill with the wheels curbed. ??
Living in hill San Francisco on a 25% grade (not a typo), my thoughts exactly! But in my case the car was in the garage and if the steering wheel was turned, it was only slightly. We'll see...........

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Good to hear! Glad you have a dealership that is prompt as well.

I'm on 2 months without vehicle, and it's simply down to the dealer not performing the repairs at this point. Sigh
I'm so very sorry. The first (closer and much larger/fancier) dealership I called has a don't-really-give-a-$#|+ attitude, but the second one will be getting all my future service business. (Or at least until David retires.)
Sponsored