NormE

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Expecting delivery of my Mach E premium Aug2-8.
would love some input on home chargers on 100amp system.
Sponsored

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Quite a few threads on this topic. Personally I have a ChargePoint on my 100 amp service. Many of the home chargers have settings where you can adjust the current. I would suggest hiring an electrician if you are not knowledgeable on your electric load and what room, load wise, you have available. I had a 50 amp breaker installed that serves my EVSE. Could not go any higher than that.

OP
OP

NormE

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Quite a few threads on this topic. Personally I have a ChargePoint on my 100 amp service. Many of the home chargers have settings where you can adjust the current. I would suggest hiring an electrician if you are not knowledgeable on your electric load and what room, load wise, you have available. I had a 50 amp breaker installed that serves my EVSE. Could not go any higher than that.
Did you put a load manager in there.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Did you put a load manager in there.
I did not. I have a stove, well, dryer and now the EVSE. At most I may approach 100 amps if everything was on at the same time but rarely use the stove and I normally charge after we settle down for the night. So no issues for me. Also my electric rates are flat so no need to manage use.

TD1273

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F-350
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have Chargepoint Home Flex 14-50 that I purchased and installed as a hardwire setup with 60 amp breaker which in turn gives me about 10.94 KWH charge which works real well for me it takes about 5 to 5-1/2 hours to charge from 28% kwh to charge to 90% kwh

OP
OP

NormE

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I have Chargepoint Home Flex 14-50 that I purchased and installed as a hardwire setup with 60 amp breaker which in turn gives me about 10.94 KWH charge which works real well for me it takes about 5 to 5-1/2 hours to charge from 28% kwh to charge to 90% kwh
Thanks for the feedback.
‘did you use a load manager. Are you on a 100 amp,system.

TD1273

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F-350
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback.
‘did you use a load manager. Are you on a 100 amp,system.
NO ours is being feed off a 100 amp subpanel box in garage so I know what AMP is being used

nashbrydges

First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT performance
Country flag
I am also on a 100A panel and do not use a load manager. Electrician installed a 50A breaker, ran the cabling to the outside of my garage where I installed the Wallbox Pulsar Plus EVSE. I do not have a sub-panel installed. It is running off the main panel. Have not run into any issues with power.

OP
OP

NormE

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I am also on a 100A panel and do not use a load manager. Electrician installed a 50A breaker, ran the cabling to the outside of my garage where I installed the Wallbox Pulsar Plus EVSE. I do not have a sub-panel installed. It is running off the main panel. Have not run into any issues with power.
Thanks very much for the feedback.

slimothyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I have 100A service in my house as well but I went with a 40A breaker. For my purposes I don't need to charge at 40A (50A breaker). I had the electrician install an outdoor NEMA 14-50 plug (no garage) on the side of my house.

From what I was told, it "isn't recommended" to run a 220V 50A breaker on a 100A service panel, especially if you have a larger home with higher energy demands. Options would be to install a load manager or you would upgrade to a 200A service. He mentioned if I wanted to install the 50A breaker anyways, it couldn't be given a certification.

To those above with 100A service/50A breakers: Did you get an inspection certificate?

Currently using the included charger (32A) with the 220V/14-50 plug. No issues.

Electrician used heavy enough gauge that it can be used with a 50A breaker later if I wish.

dadisthewinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium
I'm ordering the Chargepoint with the 14-50 plug. Of all the ones I researched that one seems to be the best, although it's backordered on their canadian site for 3-4 weeks unfortunately. What I like about it is that I can just get a 14-50 plug installed in my garage and use the supplied ford mobile charger for the time being. I know I won't get the full 48A charging going this route, but 40A should be good enough for my needs but at least I have the option of hard wiring down the road. Most of the chargers I researched were either hard wired or plug, it's nice that chargepoint has an option for either.

Somewhat related: Any referral or discount offers for Canadians or forum members ordering a chargepoint charger?

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
The Grizzl-E also has the option to customize the amperage you want to use to charge, so if you wanted to lower to from 40A down to 32A, 24A or 16A, you could.

I have this charger and absolutely love it. Super durable with a nice, long cable.

OP
OP

NormE

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I'm ordering the Chargepoint with the 14-50 plug. Of all the ones I researched that one seems to be the best, although it's backordered on their canadian site for 3-4 weeks unfortunately. What I like about it is that I can just get a 14-50 plug installed in my garage and use the supplied ford mobile charger for the time being. I know I won't get the full 48A charging going this route, but 40A should be good enough for my needs but at least I have the option of hard wiring down the road. Most of the chargers I researched were either hard wired or plug, it's nice that chargepoint has an option for either.

Somewhat related: Any referral or discount offers for Canadians or forum members ordering a chargepoint charger?
If you have the ford Charger installed, why are looking for another.

dadisthewinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium
If you have the ford Charger installed, why are looking for another.
I don't have the Ford wall charger, I just have the included Ford mobile charger. It comes with a 14-50 plug, but is only good to charge up to 32A (If I'm not mistaken) so once I have the 14-50 plug installed I can use that mobile charger for now and then later plug in a Chargepoint wall charger and get 40A.
Sponsored