Home Level 2 Charger Issues

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I just read through the whole thread. The thread has got long, and I think my summary would help:
  • It's pretty clear at this point that Mach E seems picky about the AC power source. In other words, it refuses to charge in certain houses (or very likely, streets/blocks).
  • The pickiness is mild. It charges fine in most places.
  • It is still not clear whether all Mach Es are picky or just a few are. In other words, we don't know whether it's a design issue, or that some parts are out of spec. To figure this out, you'd need at least two Mach Es at the same location, when at least one of them refuses to charge.
Side note:
  • Some comment talked about swapping out the 14-50 with hard wire. I'm quite certain that doing so would be fruitless. When people referred to "outlet" in most of this thread, they're referring to the power source, not just the outlet.
Sponsored

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I think that would certainly be something to check... and conversely if you found a charger (like at the dealer) that did work to see if it was lower.
For the rest of this comment, I assume @CHeil402 is correct that 127V is rare.

Since it's rare, you'd likely find that the dealer's power source voltage is lower. Therefore, when you do find that, it doesn't give in any additional information, and you shouldn't draw any conclusion from that.

Now, it would be interesting if you can find another place (not too close to your home, to avoid correlated parameters) with 127V or higher voltage, and see if Mach E accepts the charge. But that would be hard because 127V is rare.

Edgardk

First Name
Edgard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti QX80, Ford Escape hybrid, MME Premium 4x
Country flag
I will be taking my chargers and car to my shop where I have a 240 outlet and seeing if it charges there. I will also take measurements. This will be on Monday.
Good morning,
After resetting everything yesterday, (master reset and FordPass), I plugged in the ford charger to the 14-50, didn't work, the ChargePoint, didn't work, my battery was at 30%, I decided to just charge at 110v overnight, this morning I could see on the FordPass my home as a location, I adjusted the preferred time to "Any time" with no specific range (24 hour) instead of "when plugged in". then, in the following sequence, I removed the 110v, turned on the car, then plugged in the ChargePoint Home, puch the charging button (in the middle of the circle light) and bingo, it is charging. I am not going to test anything else for now as I need some charging first. Voltage here is 256v. At least for now we can say it is not a wiring issue, maybe it is software glitch? Will keep you updated.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Blue Grabber, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I am now at a ChargePoint+ charging station about 5 blocks from my house and it is charging fine. I have also confirmed that at my home, I do have it set to charge at anytime. Hopefully it’s just a software issue (now my CarPlay is acting up). Not sure how these issues get sent to Ford so they know because the Ford service departments at the dealerships are useless.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Voltage here is 256v
Higher than normal voltage is certainly looking like a possible culprit. If that's proven to be the problem, I guess it will be up to Ford as to whether or not they would be willing to expand the tolerance.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
For the rest of this comment, I assume @CHeil402 is correct that 127V is rare.

Since it's rare, you'd likely find that the dealer's power source voltage is lower. Therefore, when you do find that, it doesn't give in any additional information, and you shouldn't draw any conclusion from that.

Now, it would be interesting if you can find another place (not too close to your home, to avoid correlated parameters) with 127V or higher voltage, and see if Mach E accepts the charge. But that would be hard because 127V is rare.
The fact that both people having this issue have high voltages (>250 V) and it didn't work at a neighbor likely on the same transformer to me is very strong correlation and it agrees with the symptoms of working with the 120 V outlet as even a high voltage there is well within the chargers specs. I'm guessing the onboard Ford charger is a tighter voltage range than Tesla's.

Unfortunately, aside from only charging at 120 V, the only solution is working with your local utility. However, even if I got my car to charge I would still do that as that high of a voltage can damage other sensitive electronics in your house and burn out lightbulbs faster.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
I've never got it to work at 240v with either the Ford charger or the Juice Box here or at my next door neighbors house. But his Tesla will charge just fine here or at his house with my 2 chargers.
That would point to some sort of sensitivity the car is having with the power supply. It really has nothing to do with the EVSE as that is just passing the power on...the actual charger is in the car.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Higher than normal voltage is certainly looking like a possible culprit. If that's proven to be the problem, I guess it will be up to Ford as to whether or not they would be willing to expand the tolerance.
Unfortunately, aside from only charging at 120 V, the only solution is working with your local utility. However, even if I got my car to charge I would still do that as that high of a voltage can damage other sensitive electronics in your house and burn out lightbulbs faster.
Ford has to rectify this, one way or another, if the high voltage hypothesis is correct. I don't think they have a choice. It's a blocking issue for some owners and it happens all the time (or most of the time) and there's no workaround (short of buying a new house), unlike other issues (LVB, PaaK, screen whine, wind noise). Additionally, other manufacturer's product work just fine. Technically Ford could argue that they did nothing wrong but practically they have to provide a fix.

(I'm not affected by this. My Mach E charges reliably in my home at 240V 32A with the mobile charger.)

Last edited:

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Ford has to rectify this, one way or another, if the high voltage hypothesis is correct. I don't think they have a choice. It's a blocking issue for some owners and it happens all the time (or most of the time) and there's no workaround (short of buying a new house), unlike other issues (LVB, PaaK, screen whine, wind noise). Additionally, other manufacturer's product work just fine. Technically Ford could argue that they did nothing wrong but practically they have to provide a fix.

(I'm not affected by this. My Mach E charges reliably in my home at 240V 32A with the mobile charger.)
Yeah. You guys should bring it to the attention of your dealers that your voltage is higher than normal and the car is not charging...it is something that will come up and Ford should be able to adjust it. They probably set the defaults at +/- 5% voltage which is what the power company is supposed to be delivering.

If you are at outside of that 5% you should also complain to your power company as devices will be using more power and your bills could be higher than they should be.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag

Unfortunately, if it ends up being a hardware limitation Ford might not be able to change it and instead point the finger at the utility... Which again, either way I would do. 7.5% above nominal is too high.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
I am now at a ChargePoint+ charging station about 5 blocks from my house and it is charging fine. I have also confirmed that at my home, I do have it set to charge at anytime. Hopefully it’s just a software issue (now my CarPlay is acting up). Not sure how these issues get sent to Ford so they know because the Ford service departments at the dealerships are useless.
I'm sure Ford engineers are monitoring this forum, so it is very likely they are working on this issues with 240V charging at home. Of course, how can we be sure that a fix is being worked on?

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
What is the voltage you are getting across the 2 hots on your 14-50 plug?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Please do report to Ford service at your dealership and have them report to Ford....OASIS indicates any Mach E issues to be reported to Ford. And as a back up use the help feature on their website and report through that as well. Ford is competing with Tesla , so may be they will come up with a fix to stay on par.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Blue Grabber, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Son of a witch, I just plugged in at home on the 240V and now it’s charging. So obviously since it’s intermittent there is something amiss. By the way, still love the car! Not that it matters, but I must get 5-10 people a day either taking pictures while I am driving or asking me about the car when I park.