First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Blue Grabber, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Is your voltage any lower today?
Not sure. I don’t have a meter. Here is what the JuiceBox is pulling. This gives more info then the Ford Charger but both either work or not work (it hasn’t ever happened where one charges but not the other except if I go with the 110).
Ford Mustang Mach-E Home Level 2 Charger Issues 56E89649-A25B-4F6D-8420-A6FEC88DFC13
Ford Mustang Mach-E Home Level 2 Charger Issues 56E89649-A25B-4F6D-8420-A6FEC88DFC13
Sponsored

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Not sure. I don’t have a meter. Here is what the JuiceBox is pulling. This gives more info then the Ford Charger but both either work or not work (it hasn’t ever happened where one charges but not the other except if I go with the 110).
248 V is totally reasonable which is why it's probably working. Likely when it fluctuates high it won't work but when it fluctuates lower it does, hence the intermittent nature of it.

Edgardk

First Name
Edgard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti QX80, Ford Escape hybrid, MME Premium 4x
Country flag
The fact that both people having this issue have high voltages (>250 V) and it didn't work at a neighbor likely on the same transformer to me is very strong correlation and it agrees with the symptoms of working with the 120 V outlet as even a high voltage there is well within the chargers specs. I'm guessing the onboard Ford charger is a tighter voltage range than Tesla's.

Unfortunately, aside from only charging at 120 V, the only solution is working with your local utility. However, even if I got my car to charge I would still do that as that high of a voltage can damage other sensitive electronics in your house and burn out lightbulbs faster.
Higher than normal voltage is certainly looking like a possible culprit. If that's proven to be the problem, I guess it will be up to Ford as to whether or not they would be willing to expand the tolerance.
While charging the car with ChargePoint the voltage was always around 256v. The issue is not voltage.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
248 V is totally reasonable which is why it's probably working. Likely when it fluctuates high it won't work but when it fluctuates lower it does, hence the intermittent nature of it.
Wonder if I can’t just buy a meter at Home Depot. It would be nice to find one that can keep monitoring it. I know I can buy a home monitor that clips onto your main feed but not sure about a specific outlet. I would also think the EVSE would be able to handle any changes in the voltage.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Wonder if I can’t just buy a meter at Home Depot. It would be nice to find one that can keep monitoring it. I know I can buy a home monitor that clips onto your main feed but not sure about a specific outlet. I would also think the EVSE would be able to handle any changes in the voltage.
I don't know of one that plugs into a 14-50 and reads voltage. You can use a device called a kill-a-watt and plug it into one of your 120v outlets and multiply by 2.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
You can buy a digital multimeter (DMM) at home depot or Amazon that can measure voltage and frequency (and other things). But it won't log for you, you could just take samples.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Some comment talked about swapping out the 14-50 with hard wire. I'm quite certain that doing so would be fruitless. When people referred to "outlet" in most of this thread, they're referring to the power source, not just the outlet.
The more I think this through, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree too. I have another JuiceBox coming since I have the older gen unit but I don’t think that will help either. This is obviously a software issue or bug. When it does work, it’s like the internal charger isn’t waking up to accept the power. At least it’s working now so I’ll have a full charge. Also, thinking about what some have said about an issue with possibly a change in voltage or some changes with the current, if that was an issue I would see a charging fail at some point when it’s plugged in but that never happens. When it works, it works and doesn’t fail.

Edgardk

First Name
Edgard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good morning,
After resetting everything yesterday, (master reset and FordPass), I plugged in the ford charger to the 14-50, didn't work, the ChargePoint, didn't work, my battery was at 30%, I decided to just charge at 110v overnight, this morning I could see on the FordPass my home as a location, I adjusted the preferred time to "Any time" with no specific range (24 hour) instead of "when plugged in". then, in the following sequence, I removed the 110v, turned on the car, then plugged in the ChargePoint Home, puch the charging button (in the middle of the circle light) and bingo, it is charging. I am not going to test anything else for now as I need some charging first. Voltage here is 256v. At least for now we can say it is not a wiring issue, maybe it is software glitch? Will keep you updated.
Update:
the car got fully charged to 85% as I set it, went for a long drive to enjoy the car in the nice weather. got back home, kept the car on, plug in the ChargePoint, it started charging right away, I checked the voltage, it is still 256V. so the only difference I did is to keep the car on (running) when I plug it in.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting... I have thought about that too and have tried it multiple ways with the car on, car off and car just powered off and immediately connected. I am not finding any consistency other then it is inconsistent when I get it to charge.

Edgardk

First Name
Edgard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting... I have thought about that too and have tried it multiple ways with the car on, car off and car just powered off and immediately connected. I am not finding any consistency other then it is inconsistent when I get it to charge.
I’ll keep you updated.

tkompass

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford F150 2008 Audi A8L 2021
Occupation
Auto shop owner
Country flag
I still have not gotten mine to charge at home on either the Ford charger or my new Juice box charger. Went to a DC charging station nearby and charged it to 80% today so at least I can drive it. I tried all those things you guys talked about but still not working. :(

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I still have not gotten mine to charge at home on either the Ford charger or my new Juice box charger. Went to a DC charging station nearby and charged it to 80% today so at least I can drive it. I tried all those things you guys talked about but still not working. :(
What is the temperature outside where you live? Not sure temps may be to blame but just curious. Also, mine has now been on my home L2 chargeR for over 13 hours without any breaks in the charge (it’s been full since 10PM) so if there was a voltage issue in my house, I would think in the last 13 hours I would have seen it suddenly disconnect.

Because the car wasn’t charging Friday and Saturday morning, the dealer is still coming over this morning with another MME to test. My status for my vehicle is I get intermittent success at charging from my homes L2 EVSE and Ford Mobile Charger.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Home Level 2 Charger Issues BD64BD3A-DB21-47F9-80CB-F2297C75C588

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
While charging the car with ChargePoint the voltage was always around 256v. The issue is not voltage.
What is the temperature outside where you live? Not sure temps may be to blame but just curious. Also, mine has now been on my home L2 chargeR for over 13 hours without any breaks in the charge (it’s been full since 10PM) so if there was a voltage issue in my house, I would think in the last 13 hours I would have seen it suddenly disconnect.

Because the car wasn’t charging Friday and Saturday morning, the dealer is still coming over this morning with another MME to test. My status for my vehicle is I get intermittent success at charging from my homes L2 EVSE and Ford Mobile Charger.
BD64BD3A-DB21-47F9-80CB-F2297C75C588.png
This is very bizarre. Maybe it is sensing the voltage at the beginning of the charge process, and if it is out of their established range it wont even start charging - just a thought. This could be why some of you guys get it to charge on some occasions and not on others.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Alright everyone, I think I am 100% confident that the issue is solely with the car and NOTHING to do with a problem with my electric, EVSE or outlet. The dealer just left my house in another Mach-E. We pulled them side by side and mine wouldn’t charge and everyone time we plugged into the Mach-E he brought over it worked 100% of the time. They are going to starting talking to the Ford Field Engineer to start working with Ford’s Mach-E team. The issue is that these dealerships and Ford Field engineers are clueless on troubleshooting the cars. Ford has totally dropped the ball at effectively training their dealer network on servicing and troubleshooting this car. At least we are narrowing down the issue to my physical car. The other two Mach-E owners in this forum should assume the issue is with the car and not their homes electric or the 240V outlet.
I’ll keep everyone updated as this now is moving to strictly a Ford issue to fix. I am not concerned as I know one way or another Ford will make it right.
Sponsored