How bad was my deal?

First Name
SportZnTouring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition (on Pre-Order), 2018 370z Nismo
Country flag
Waited 9 months for my Mach E (ordered it online in Sept 2020, to take delivery with local dealer). Car finally arrived yesterday, and salesman just called to arrange for a delivery time. During that call he casually mentioned there will be a $6,000 dealer add-on, despite the originally agreed-upon MSRP price. “We’re doing it with all the new models.” Then he said it might be closer to $3000. I went ballistic. Sheer greed, and really despicable to wait til the last moment to inform me. I called FORD and they confirmed that dealers have the right to do this, though they frown on it. I’m tempted to walk away, just on principal. Then someone else will come in off the street and pay the extra $6,000 for my long-awaited car. BUYER BEWARE!
That doesn't seem right. I'm guessing this is in the US? In the UK, if you place an order and the seller accepts it, that's a contract. If they try to change the terms of that contract – they are in breach of contract. Consumer laws here protect further against that kind of behaviour. I'd look into contract and consumer law in your state. I'm pretty sure that if they accepted the order, they are required to honour the contract that you and the dealer entered into when the order was placed (even if it was via the Ford website – because I'm pretty sure the dealers have to approve the sale before you get your order confirmation).

Good luck and let us all know what happens.
Sponsored

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
Good luck and let us all know what happens.
That's the US.

Lobbyists and dark money funneling to senators, etc. in Washington to make sure we keep an outdated dealer franchise model.

From screenshots, people have priced out the same vehicle at two dealers even on Ford's site and it can be two different costs. Even Ford helps with the f**kerage.

One thing that's made Lease Brokers, car dealers and everyone angry is the Volvo C40 online ordering system, and I'm loving it. You can put a deposit on it directly with Volvo and completely bypass the scum of the earth.

While not all dealership models are crappy in the US (Scion comes to mind, no haggling - but sadly now a defunct brand) the worst has gotta be the big 3, including Ford.

Ford knows the MME is selling well, and that you want one. My situation (missing out on tax rebate due to RCL + dealer saying 5500 down, making it 5599 + first month's payment) - a $699 difference isn't that bad compared to some crap going on.

Bunch hanging out left over at Beyer ford (premium editions with 20 inch rims give away the custom order) because they're charging thousands over MSRP now, causing people to cancel their orders. Why? Becuase they know they can pull that shit.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that...I negotiated my deal and waited 3 weeks for it, it wasn't a canceled order
Looks like you did not do too bad at all.
I wound up paying $5k over sticker to get mine a month ago. At first I was upset with myself for being so impatient, but this car is worth every penny I paid for it. The one I ordered in March and was told I’d get in 8 weeks is now scheduled to be built in September. I haven’t cancelled yet as I think my brother may want to buy that one. Anyone know if they are allowing deposits and orders to be transferred to someone else without adding a premium or is that something that is up to the dealership?
Well, assuming you and you brother have the same last name just tell them their was a clerical error on the first name when you go to close the deal.

Al your Pal

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
Country flag
Waited 9 months for my Mach E (ordered it online in Sept 2020, to take delivery with local dealer). Car finally arrived yesterday, and salesman just called to arrange for a delivery time. During that call he casually mentioned there will be a $6,000 dealer add-on, despite the originally agreed-upon MSRP price. “We’re doing it with all the new models.” Then he said it might be closer to $3000. I went ballistic. Sheer greed, and really despicable to wait til the last moment to inform me. I called FORD and they confirmed that dealers have the right to do this, though they frown on it. I’m tempted to walk away, just on principal. Then someone else will come in off the street and pay the extra $6,000 for my long-awaited car. BUYER BEWARE!
This happened to me. I got in touch with Mike Levine and he fixed it within two hours.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Can't say for sure. I showed up one evening and he said the dealer said he had one coming in 4 weeks, I negotiated the ADM down to $2k, which basically offset the CA rebate and then some...
Your car was an abandoned order.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I got lucky with mine. Sis works at Ford dealership, so I'm allowed to get her D-plan. The dealership agreed when I put my order in that I absolutely would still get the discount. They stayed true... picked it up yesterday. D-plan discount, plus incentives for using options financing. They're more interested in moving units, than being short sighted, and grabbing mark up money.?
Maybe that dealer, but dealers in general right now are definitely more concerned with mark up money lol. The invoice on the Mach e is literally MSRP, there is no holdback. Ford is trying to get it out there but dealers need to make cash off of it. Plus, it isn't like a normal car so you don't even get to count on the potential service visits in the future.

scubauke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e wanta be
Country flag
contact mike levine!

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR aka Scotty
Country flag
If you only paid 2k you're lucky. I had to (forgive me) pony up 2,500 in ADM to bring home Scotty. The infuriating part was the ADM was not disclosed when my salesperson told me he had one coming, they waited until I put a deposit down to drop that little bit of news....? Car did show up 3 weeks earlier than the tracker ETA so it could have been worse.

beckermanex

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Prem RWD
Occupation
Information Management
Country flag
What does your original order info say with regard to the price?

I thought any ADM was disclosed and factored into the price displayed during the online order process.

Look for the "Difference From Total MSRP."

If that's zero, show it to the dealer. That's the price they agreed to accept when you placed the order and gave them a deposit.

If it shows an ADM on that line, that, unfortunately, is the price you agreed to pay for the car when you placed the order.

Screenshot_20210710-125534_Chrome.png
I did this (having ordered a Mach-E last week and the dealer accepted the order just today) but the footnote for E23 above says "The amount shown is the difference between Total MSRP and Dealer Selling Price, excluding Dealer Installed Options" meaning they could still stack on glass, dent, "desert package", etc. at the time of delivery and modify the Dealer Selling Price, or that price listed there is the price of the car since they've accepted the order at that price?

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2017 Outback, 2010 Jetta
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
I did this (having ordered a Mach-E last week and the dealer accepted the order just today) but the footnote for E23 above says "The amount shown is the difference between Total MSRP and Dealer Selling Price, excluding Dealer Installed Options" meaning they could still stack on glass, dent, "desert package", etc. at the time of delivery and modify the Dealer Selling Price, or that price listed there is the price of the car since they've accepted the order at that price?
I think of those add-ons as separate. I think if you order the car, you should be able to instruct the dealer to install - or not install - any dealer installed options. Those are distinct from "Additional Dealer Markup." That line on the order confirmation, the "Difference from total MSRP," should reflect a dealers ADM . If that's zero, I don't think they should be able to add one later.

If you're buying off the lot, you have no such agreement for a specific (or $zero) ADM and if they have already installed add-ons, those would be something for you to try to negotiate.

PonyGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
DON’T walk away. That’s exactly what they want. Then they really could sell it with ADM.

After how long you waited for this, don’t give up so easily. Fight it out and I’ll bet you win. Social media, Ford execs, anything you can think of.
TOO LATE. They sold it to someone else before I could get in to take delivery—-even though my name was on the red SOLD sign hanging from the mirror. This has been a horrible nightmare. All I got was my $500 deposit back. I am heartbroken. NINE MONTHS of excitement—ruined.

yeomanse

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
2k over is a good deal for premium AWD ext, I paid 2500 for mine. I think the actual market price for this trim is about 3k over. Usually they come up with that 5k number to see what they can get to stick but if you show up ready to buy they usually will shave a couple of k off of it. 2 to 3 k is usually what us non orderers are willing to pony up for our skip the waiting privilege. There are a couple of outliers that will spend that 5k over which we frown upon here, even if you have the money to blow, at least negotiate a little bit to stop giving the dealers hope they can charge more.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
TOO LATE. They sold it to someone else before I could get in to take delivery—-even though my name was on the red SOLD sign hanging from the mirror. This has been a horrible nightmare. All I got was my $500 deposit back. I am heartbroken. NINE MONTHS of excitement—ruined.
Honestly I think you got lucky.

There are so many eclectic vehicles coming out right now all at the same time. If you're not in a rush you could look at all the other options and compare now. Even 3 months ago there weren't as much options.

fmcgirt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E
Country flag
Honestly I think you got lucky.

As I read some of these posts, I know we got lucky.

We bought 2 Mach-Es, one around the first of April and the second about two weeks ago. The first was after a demo drive (car not for sale) and we were on our way home when the salesperson called and said the truck just pulled in with a new Mach-E and were we interested in coming back to take a look. We did and wound up buying it for MSRP with nothing mentioned about any dealer add-on or any other hassle. This was at Chalmers Ford in Albuquerque.

The second was advertised online as part of the dealer new car inventory for several thousand above MSRP with a button to click for "Special Low Price" or something like that. So I clicked the button and had to enter my contact info to get the price in response. In response I got an invitation to come in and test drive the vehicle and discuss the price. I responded that all I was interested in was the bottom line price. After a couple of calls they finally said they would sell at MSRP.
So I showed up and it turned out the extra costs were in an add-on extra dealer profit sticker for nitrogen in the tires, paint treatment, anti-theft and maybe something else - all total about $2500 that I really needed according to them. I told them I wasn't interested in any of that and I would pay MSRP if they wanted to sell the vehicle. They finally agreed and we made the deal without any more hassle. This was at Rich Ford in Albuquerque.

After hearing some of the stories here that people have had to go through I can't really complain.

As for the vehicles, the first one was trouble free until last week when the drivers door would not lock with the door icon or unlock unless another door was locked/unlocked first. The second vehicle is still trouble free.

I personally think that the software QA is not adequate for these vehicles and is aging over time. I speak from 30 years of experience of writing low level software to interface with many types of hardware. Think dangling pointers, uninitialized variables and arrays, etc., and probably rushed engineers by marketing.

PonyGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
This happened to me. I got in touch with Mike Levine and he fixed it within two hours.
Too late. The next day, a Saturday, the salesman told me that they WILL sell it to me for MSRP, which was the agreed-upon contract price. The car was in their back lot with a SOLD tag with my name on it. On Tuesday when I was supposed to come in to take delivery, the sales manager informed me that my Mach E had already been sold on Sunday to someone else (with the markup, of course). This has got to be the scummiest, most unbelievable car transaction I’ve ever had. Or NOT had. The sadness and sense of betrayal cannot be put into words. It took all the wind out of my sails. NINE MONTHS I waited for that car.

7A4A01EB-4ED9-44CE-9A88-C204276212CE.jpeg
Sponsored