How long before Tesla will have to change?

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Not really - FCA had to buy a ton of them because they didn't make (enough) BEVs of their own to get below the CO2 threshold. Since merging with PSA they won't need to buy as many credits, and if they actually follow through on their announcements the subbrands will all have enough EVs of their own to meet the requirements.
So, they will sell their carbon credits to other industries… like electricity generation, steel manufacturing, travel, etc.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
A lot of my sentiments against Tesla have already been spoken about so I won't rehash my distaste for them, but one thing I do want to mention is the non-EV-drivers culture needs to change before Tesla gets less of a foothold too. I work with a group of... shall we say, less than progressive individuals and they all know (and tell me I'm making a huge mistake) that I'm buying an EV. I've told several of them multiple times that I'm getting a Ford. It's called the Mach E. Given them all the specifics and still, whenever I talk to them about cars, they'll ask things like "When does your Tesla come in?" or someone says, "Oh yeah, you're getting that Tesla, right?". No, I'm not getting a damn Tesla, but just because I said EV, they assume it just has to be a Tesla.

I know word is getting out via advertising and news, etc, but Tesla's culture influence is pretty deep when related to EV. That needs to change too.

Side note: Another "problem"... go on the online used car shopping sites like Carvana, etc and search for a Tesla. Damn near every one says "purchase pending". That demand is still very strong. There's a big hill to climb, I'm just excited to be doing my part. (Also, its curious why there are so many low mileage examples on the used car sites. It's almost like the owners couldn't wait to get rid of them. )?

• Haha
Reactions: ARK

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
So, they will sell their carbon credits to other industries… like electricity generation, steel manufacturing, travel, etc.
not the way it works tesla carbon credits are based on ZEVs credit-based. They have to produce something that is in the same carbon credit field as the buyer. Also each year more and more credits are not allowed to get companies to move forward.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Flashy isn’t what made Tesla “cool”, famous people buying them is what made Tesla “cool”. Once famous people move on to whatever they move on to, that cool factor is gone. Until now, Tesla was the only real option for the wealthy virtue signalers, but now the options are opening up. I really feel like the Taycan is going to be that next “cool car” here in the US. Shoddy build quality is fine when it’s the only game in town, but when you have money, and there are options, you don’t go with the crappily built option. You leave that for the poor people.
No what sells a tesla point-blank when tesla showed a survey in 2019 is speed. Your guys buy it for the speed and 0 to 60 times. What is tesla's biggest push now with the model s? The first thing someone says about another BEV well not as fast. Why he went for the S3xy remember.

Unlimited amount of videos people saying and this is why I brought a Telsa than they hammer the pedal. Change that 0 to 60 times on model 3 to 6 seconds and model y to 7 seconds and watch how sales do.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And let's face it, autopilot isn't even close to a reason to buy a Tesla. $10k for a beta software with no end date? And how many other manufacturers like Ford are doing their own for a small fraction of the price?
Auto pilot is standard at no cost on the new vehicles. Full self driving is the $10,000 and is over-rated, over-hyped. AP does fine for most people that want both traffic aware cruise control and the car to steer itself on highways and higher speed rural roads. FSD includes buggy gimmicks such as summon, self parking, and full self driving in urban settings.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One thing people aren't thinking of is brand loyalty. There's probably a good portion of the members here that grew up on Ford products and that brand loyalty carried over to this generation, and it'll carry over to the next generation within the family. I don't see many Chevy Camaro and Corvette owners perusing and posting in this site.

With Tesla having a head start, there are numerous multiple Tesla households and that may continue with the next generation.

I don't believe Tesla is worried about other EVs at the moment. Before the part shortages, their backlog on the 3 and Y were 8-12 weeks, now extended to 11-17 weeks. Freemont and Shanghai can't build the cars fast enough.

The market share that should be worried are gas vehicles. Those are the ones that will be losing more market share than current EV manufacturers.

PSaulet

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw Amarok, Tesla M3, Caterham, Annulé Mach e
Country flag
The purpose of my post is not to say something other than what I said on the French side, namely that the MMe is a good vehicle, the marketing of which at least with us has been failed, as it seemed to me. be more Ford than Mustang, apart from the coming GT. That without having tried something else I would surely have been 100% convinced, but that after having tried and adopted a TM3 because the MMe was unavailable within the allotted time, at € 25,000 less I can ignore a so-called premium quality, I come from Audi and I am not more shocked than that, by congratulating myself on a superior efficiency and feedback. I do not know what will be the future of one or the other of the manufacturers, but if tomorrow Tesla is on the edge of the abyss, if my name is Stelantis, VAG or Renault I ask myself the question to buy to optimize and make my EV offer more reliable in the face of active competition. In that sense, I don't care about Tesla's future.
The rest is a matter of taste, the MMe will not be everyone's, neither the Ioniq5, nor the TM3, the offer is growing and that's good and the competition could bring us other advantageous solutions. and more affordable. To hope ....

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
A lot of my sentiments against Tesla have already been spoken about so I won't rehash my distaste for them, but one thing I do want to mention is the non-EV-drivers culture needs to change before Tesla gets less of a foothold too. I work with a group of... shall we say, less than progressive individuals and they all know (and tell me I'm making a huge mistake) that I'm buying an EV. I've told several of them multiple times that I'm getting a Ford. It's called the Mach E. Given them all the specifics and still, whenever I talk to them about cars, they'll ask things like "When does your Tesla come in?" or someone says, "Oh yeah, you're getting that Tesla, right?". No, I'm not getting a damn Tesla, but just because I said EV, they assume it just has to be a Tesla.

I know word is getting out via advertising and news, etc, but Tesla's culture influence is pretty deep when related to EV. That needs to change too.

Side note: Another "problem"... go on the online used car shopping sites like Carvana, etc and search for a Tesla. Damn near every one says "purchase pending". That demand is still very strong. There's a big hill to climb, I'm just excited to be doing my part. (Also, its curious why there are so many low mileage examples on the used car sites. It's almost like the owners couldn't wait to get rid of them. )?
That’s exactly what I did. 3800 miles on my model 3. Carmax bought it from me for 5k more than I paid for it new. It IS a damn fun car to drive. I definitely miss it (while I wait for my Mach E). In my 20s I would have kept it. If they were still the only EV option I would have kept it. But if you go from a luxury brand to a Tesla, you will be disappointed.

I am really excited to drive the Audi Q4 next year too. And the BMW i4. So many good options coming.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
One thing people aren't thinking of is brand loyalty. There's probably a good portion of the members here that grew up on Ford products and that brand loyalty carried over to this generation, and it'll carry over to the next generation within the family. I don't see many Chevy Camaro and Corvette owners perusing and posting in this site.

With Tesla having a head start, there are numerous multiple Tesla households and that may continue with the next generation.

I don't believe Tesla is worried about other EVs at the moment. Before the part shortages, their backlog on the 3 and Y were 8-12 weeks, now extended to 11-17 weeks. Freemont and Shanghai can't build the cars fast enough.

The market share that should be worried are gas vehicles. Those are the ones that will be losing more market share than current EV manufacturers.
Agree, Ford obviously has a long standing brand loyalty, people get really bitter when people attack their favorite brand. Obviously Ford vs Chevy is one of the old rivals.

The EV market is rapidly evolving but I don't think Tesla is going anywhere anytime soon, but I do think this new competition will be good for them in the long run. Might force them to button up their quality control, introduce new features and try to stay on top

Reactions: ARK

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I think EVs and Tesla are getting more mainstream to the point now though where it's left the cult stage. My boss's wife just got a MY, I doubt she has any clue or cares who Elon Musk is

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Tesla is in good shape for the foreseeable future. But the Y needs a refresh. The 3, S, X, Roadster all have something going for them besides being a Tesla. The Y just screams compromise: “we extended the roofline of a 3 for the folks who want that CUV.” It just looks and feels dated and frumpy compared to the Mach E and several other small SUV EVs coming to market.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Flashy isn’t what made Tesla “cool”, famous people buying them is what made Tesla “cool”. Once famous people move on to whatever they move on to, that cool factor is gone. Until now, Tesla was the only real option for the wealthy virtue signalers, but now the options are opening up. I really feel like the Taycan is going to be that next “cool car” here in the US. Shoddy build quality is fine when it’s the only game in town, but when you have money, and there are options, you don’t go with the crappily built option. You leave that for the poor people.
Problem with the Taycan is it is very low key, looks a lot like the Panamera. I think the virtue signalers with that type of budget might flock more towards the Lucid Air or the Hummer EV. I think particularly the Hummer EV because it lets people be ironic about going from a Tesla to a vehicle associated with lots of pollution in the past.
Sponsored