edharris

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
A couple newbie questions about charging...

I understand that charging from a standard 120volt outlet is much much slower. My route to work is only ten miles round trip so I'm wondering if I could still get by with a standard outlet and daily overnight charging.

1. Would an overnight charge still yield about 20-30 miles over about 12 hours?

2. Does it cost more to charge with a 120 volt outlet than it does with a 240volt outlet since it takes more time? Or is the energy used still roughly the same to get to 100% battery?
Sponsored

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
120v or Level 1 charging is super slow.. I used it for a while till I could get my level 2 installed. You will get about 2ish miles give or take every hour of charging. So if you are only doing 20-30 miles a day it would be pretty close.

Power is charged by kWh so regardless of Level 1 or Level 2 the end result of delivering the power to the car will be the same. Only time where a faster charger can save you money is if you are on a time plan. For example, it only costs me $0.09 from the hours of 12-7am. So I want a faster charge so I can get to 90% in that 7hr window. If I were to charge outside of that window, then it would cost me more due to the rate increase.

TuxToaster

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue MME Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Generally speaking, yes -- the average is ~3mi added per hour. But how much power is consumed for you to travel 30 mi depends a bit on the route taken, driving style, etc. but a ~25mi trip I regularly take usually uses up around 6-10% and I can usually put that back into the battery in roughly 6-8 hours of charging.

2. Does it cost more to charge with a 120 volt outlet than it does with a 240volt outlet since it takes more time? Or is the energy used still roughly the same to get to 100% battery?
Someone else here can probably offer a better answer here, but the costs would generally be pretty similar since while it does take longer it's pulling less current. Though I believe 240V is generally more efficient but I don't know how much that would translate into cost savings.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

I understand that charging from a standard 120volt outlet is much much slower. My route to work is only ten miles round trip so I'm wondering if I could still get by with a standard outlet and daily overnight charging.

About 3 miles of range for each hour on the plug.
Cost is about the same as L2 charging.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag

I've been getting by on 120 since I got the car in June (too lazy to get an electrician). It consistently delivers just over 3 miles estimated range per hour plugged in. Mostly hasn't been a problem for me. One time I wasn't gonna get enough juice for a planned trip the next day, so I drove to an EA and charged to 80%. I will eventually get around to having L2 installed but it certainly hasn't been critical (no regular commute).

JamesInWeston

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered 8-25-21: 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E CalRt1
Occupation
Risk Management/Insurance
Country flag
Is everyone's 3-ish miles experience at 120v at 8 amps? Can the Mach-E be programmed to pull 12 amps at 120v? (like my Bolt?)

Bolt at 120v 8 amps = 3-ish miles. At 12 amps its 4-ish miles per hour of charging.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

Same as the others have said about speed of charging.

Cost would be about the same, unless you have time of use electric rates and you need to charge outside of those set hours (L2 would be advisable here to limit the charging time).

You don't want to charge to 100% daily and usually only charge to 100% if you're immediately leaving on a road trip. Daily charging recommendations are 80%-90% max to preserve the battery health.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I believe that the loss from the outlet to the vehicle is greater with 120 than with 240. Closer to 15% than 7%. Someone correct me that knows for sure.

I got around 2.8 miles per kWh.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Is everyone's 3-ish miles experience at 120v at 8 amps? Can the Mach-E be programmed to pull 12 amps at 120v? (like my Bolt?)

Bolt at 120v 8 amps = 3-ish miles. At 12 amps its 4-ish miles per hour of charging.
It should be 12A as well.
Watts are watts. A L1 EVSE at 12A delivers a certain amount of watts and the Focus Electric or your Bolt can travel about 4 miles on that amount of energy. The Mach-E travels about 3.3 miles on that same amount

The Lightning will be even worse. 2.2 miles of range per hour of L1 charge maybe? I have the chart somewhere.....I will try and find it.

RobFitzgerald167

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Grabber Blue
Country flag
It’s slow. I’m on a 120v charge right now, no 240 outlets available. Here’s my current charging stats (FE ex, northern IL… darned cold)
Ford Mustang Mach-E How slow is 120volt outlet? 0941648C-06D0-423A-8514-CA8A994866FA

ArthurH

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD EX; Rapid Red
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The difference in price can fluctuate quite a bit depending on your utilities' peak hours. For example, in our area during summer, peak hours of 5pm to 8pm is nearly triple the cost. You'll just have to plan around your time/rates, if that is a concern to you.

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
You can get by on the 120V and the occasional use of some type of faster charging. I would highly recommend getting some type of Level 2 charging where you regularly park. With your anticipated daily round trip and 120V charging you do not have any catch up room for the time when you decide to do some extra miles on a Sunday as an example doing holiday shopping. Let's say you drive 100 miles on a Sunday when you get to the following Friday you are still that 100 short since you have only recovered your daily commute. If you suggested that you had multiple days (work from home, retired etc) where you did not drive the car then I could probably get on board with only 120V charging.

Bill S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Prem ER eAWD, 18 Tesla M3, 64 Falcon Sprint
Country flag
If you can drop a 240V off of your electric panel it will get much much better. Your mobile charger will plug into to it with its 240v adapter and BOOM, your alive. Closer to the panel, the lower the install cost. Easy Peasy.

MargaritavilleNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT (Aug build week-Oct delivery)
Country flag
It’s slow. I’m on a 120v charge right now, no 240 outlets available. Here’s my current charging stats (FE ex, northern IL… darned cold)
Ford Mustang Mach-E How slow is 120volt outlet? 0941648C-06D0-423A-8514-CA8A994866FA
Yikes, I thought my 80% charge to 168 miles was bad....I guess it's going to get worse!