horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I've read through the owner's manual, and turned on rain sensing autowipers. But yet, when it starts to rain, they don't come on automatically. Do you have to have the wipers turned from the steering column on for this to work?
Sponsored

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
You have to make sure the wiper lever is on the first tick up. It has a resting position that pulling, and holding it down you can control the wipers when you let go, it will go back to the resting position or off. Clicking the lever up once will engage rain sensing and they will only operate when enough rain or moisture covers the sensors.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Yep. Set the wiper stalk to what would otherwise be intermittent wipers. With rain sensing turned on, they will now do their thing. Also, the dial in the stalk will adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensing like it would otherwise adjust the frequency of the intermittent.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Anybody else have an issue with the rain sensing wipers being triggered without rain? It doesn’t happen often enough that it’s worth troubleshooting, but mine will suddenly trigger while driving under a blue sky. The weirdest one is 3 or 4 times now both the front and rear wipers have triggered, just once, when I start the car.

OP
OP
horsiedad

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Anybody else have an issue with the rain sensing wipers being triggered without rain? It doesn’t happen often enough that it’s worth troubleshooting, but mine will suddenly trigger while driving under a blue sky. The weirdest one is 3 or 4 times now both the front and rear wipers have triggered, just once, when I start the car.
No, but I'll have to be on the lookout for that behavior.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Mine has done it a few times. My other fords with the feature have never done that. It seems like even at its lowest sensitivity, its still too sensitive.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have had it happen twice. Both times, there was a very heavy dust coating on the windshield. Maybe heavy dust looks like rain.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have had it happen twice. Both times, there was a very heavy dust coating on the windshield. Maybe heavy dust looks like rain.
Apparently there is a way to set the sensitivity on the stalk. I’ll have to look at that.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After driving the car more, I think I may be closer to pinning down the bug of the auto wipers activating under clear conditions.

The car never activates the wipers when I start from being parked indoors. It has also only activated in error once or twice while driving (again, I’m talking clear conditions - not rain when the auto-activation would be expected).

Where the error almost always occurs is when I turn the car on after being parked outdoors for an hour or so. When I start the car, the front wipers will trigger first, followed by the rear wiper a few seconds later. One sweep only.

if it were dust or pollen or something you would think the same problem would occur while driving, but it generally doesn’t. There doesn’t appear to be any accumulation of dust on my windshield.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yep. Set the wiper stalk to what would otherwise be intermittent wipers. With rain sensing turned on, they will now do their thing. Also, the dial in the stalk will adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensing like it would otherwise adjust the frequency of the intermittent.
Excellent description for those of us who've never had this feature.

SpaceNeedle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Yep, there are others in the same wiper-hell...
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/wiper-blades-randomly-wiping.4050/
Sponsored