Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag
That might be fun, as long as the downside risk wouldn't be running out of juice miles from the nearest charge point!
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I think global warming will take care of any GOM disappointment in the future lol

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I think it should just show battery percentage and average kWh. I mean most ice cars don’t tell you how far you can make it. People just intuit it. I know charging is different then fueling up. I hope eventually though we end at a point where it won’t be as big of consideration and we just see battery percentage.
My Accord Hybrid shows remaining miles and mpg. But with 650 mile range I usually watch the gas gauge.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Anyone who has been on this forum for more than a week has encountered the question of "what happened to my range?!" and "why am I not getting xx miles?" and "I think I have the wrong battery".

For some people on this forum the Mach-E was their first BEV and others are hardened veterans. However by now many have had their cars for a few months with some celebrating a year. So clearly everyone is an expert and can answer the following:

How would you redesign the Guess-O-Meter? What would you change so that people aren't constantly asking these questions?

• Should it just display the EPA range at 100% no matter what? This obviously would lead to "what happened to my battery? It said I could go more miles!"
  • Do all EV customers need to be given a math lesson before getting the car?
  • Should there be no range displayed and only battery percentage?

What is your proposal to fix the problem?
Instead of showing a single value, show a breadth of values like the Bolt. When people see a single number they think "that's an exact value". If they see a min/max/best guess then they realize it is an approximation

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
At the end of the day, how far you can go in your EV based on a given battery charge level, has a lot to do with how you drive the car, along with temperature, and other driving conditions.
You mean like an ICE car? Same conditions apply but people don't realize it.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You mean like an ICE car? Same conditions apply but people don't realize it.
It's less pronounced on an ICE, particularly the effect of cold weather. Cold weather not only reduces battery efficiency/output but you need more power to generate heat with resistive heaters. An ICE has plenty of waste heat to warm the cabin.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Instead of showing a single value, show a breadth of values like the Bolt. When people see a single number they think "that's an exact value". If they see a min/max/best guess then they realize it is an approximation
The Bolt also has the trend vector, which is a great feature. The Hummer has it too.
Sponsored