GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Best display would be remaining KW. If you know the approximate miles per KW for various driving scenarios and you know the roads you are driving on you can easily work out a more accurate range.
Exactly. Give us some options to display what we think is the most useful figure vs prioritizing something totally inaccurate.
Sponsored

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I know. No version of the Explorer has Blue Cruise. It still comes with Sync 3.
Huh. Maybe she was referring to the adaptive cruise control.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Best display would be remaining KW. If you know the approximate miles per KW for various driving scenarios and you know the roads you are driving on you can easily work out a more accurate range.
Alternatively, if you know the miles per percent for the various scenarios then that is the same thing. For example, I get 3 miles per percent in town and 2.5 miles per percent on road trips. Works just the same IMO...

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
really?
it's not hard..... ODB2 reader cost $25 and just plugs in the port by your left knee
phone holder of your choice....
free phone App.... like carScanner lets you pick what sensor data you want to see, and how you want to see it (dials, bars, numbers)
Not sure I really need to see all that data while driving. One of the things I like about EV is the need not to see all that....Transmission temp, oil temp, coolant temp, RPM etc. GOM range and % remaining is plenty for me. I don't want my dash to look like a spaceship.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Not sure I really need to see all that data while driving. One of the things I like about EV is the need not to see all that....Transmission temp, oil temp, coolant temp, RPM etc. GOM range and % remaining is plenty for me. I don't want my dash to look like a spaceship.
Agree. My first couple EVs had a lot of data to display and I liked it because it was all brand new technology to me.

Now I pretty much have all the info I need and feel like less is more in many instances.

I think there is maybe a little bit too much info in respect to driver aids but at least that is directly related to safety so I can understand why we have all that stuff displayed.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
well..... GOM range is pretty much useless, or 'ballpark' at very best,
% is displayed, but unless you are quicker than me at doing math in your head I would much rather see actual kWhr remaining, and multiply x 3 for flat road guess, and x2 for 'worst case'

The MAJOR thing I wanted to see besides actual kWhr, that you cannot get on the dash, is the actual kW (regen)/output 'realtime'....

The nice thing about the CarScanner display is that you can customize how many sensors you want to see, or not, and how you want to display it. I love having my phone there now so I can display ANY app on my phone, and not have to go thru the limited choices on Android Auto.

I'm just saying... Ford may or may not ever provide dashboard display the way you want, but you CAN do it yourself if you want to. I not here to argue about WHAT you might want to see or not, so I'll check out of the thread.

OP
OP
GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What makes things more extreme is that daytime temp warmed up from high 30s to low 70s here in Chicago and the GOM is utterly confused. I’m driving short distances and range is staying the same or dropping ever so slightly.

Ravensfan1996

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
To me makes no sense to turn off all the safety features just to get a view i like. I have everything on. Id like the speed in the center but not worth turning off lane centering and distance indicator etc. For everyday driving the range and percent is fine for me. Im sure Ford made this car and settings for first time EV drivers and kept it simple. Hopefully that make a new screen on the large display with more info that people that want it can see.

Terence Murphy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 2 MME Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Computer scientist
Country flag
I’m somewhat amused that nobody has suggested whisper mode, which shows the percentage remaining albeit not as large as the OP’s screenshot.

OP
OP
GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m somewhat amused that nobody has suggested whisper mode, which shows the percentage remaining albeit not as large as the OP’s screenshot.
I think all driving modes display both range and % battery, but the latter is displayed too small. I was trying to see if there’s a way to enlarge the % battery like I showed in the first pic. Looks like there is no way to do it with the existing set up.

mjs020294

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Alternatively, if you know the miles per percent for the various scenarios then that is the same thing. For example, I get 3 miles per percent in town and 2.5 miles per percent on road trips. Works just the same IMO...
Using a true measure of energy like KW is a better option. Its transferable to other EVs whereas a percent is even a different measure between standard and extended range Mach Es.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Using a true measure of energy like KW is a better option. Its transferable to other EVs whereas a percent is even a different measure between standard and extended range Mach Es.
Yeah, but every EV is different so one has to know the mi/kWh value for each EV @ various conditions. For me that is more confusing in this car. I average 3.3 miles per kWh. So if I have 52.8 kWh remaining then I have to try and multiply that in my head.

By contrast, 60% x 3 miles per % = 180 miles of range under ideal conditions. If a road trip then my car averages around 2.5 miles per percent so 60% is about 150 miles of range. For me, that is much easier math since 3 or 2.5 are easy multipliers. For AWD EX it just happens to be nice and simple factors of 2.5 or 3.0. My method likely doesn't work that well for standard range or single motor models.

All a mute point anyway because the range estimation on my car is very accurate. There have been several days where I have run it through a full charge and each time the actual range driven compared to range prediction at the start of that day was within 1.5%.

My Focus Electric averaged 4.0 mi/kWh so that car would be easier to do the math by multiplying by remaining kWh to empty (if the car would have displayed that info...).

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Just as ICEVs display the # of gallons of fuel remaining?

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
TDIL SoC csn mean state of charge? That is usually reserved for system on a chip in my world