Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
So odd. the random responses of our different cars is perplexing. I intentionally turned off opd before we arrived at the station. We even turned off the car. Turned it back on, rolled a little bit then put in neutral, and the back wheels were locked. Front wheels rolled. Do you have AWD?
I wonder if it has something to do with the turning it off and on again. Turning the car off was something I never considered. Maybe it didn’t get time to fully boot up???
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
So odd. the random responses of our different cars is perplexing. I intentionally turned off opd before we arrived at the station. We even turned off the car. Turned it back on, rolled a little bit then put in neutral, and the back wheels were locked. Front wheels rolled. Do you have AWD?
One more thought. it sounds like when you switched the car off, the electronic park brake came on, which is only on the back wheels. If not in full “temporary neutral” mode, then whenever you turn the car off the electronic parking brake does turn on. So You say you rolled a bit after turning the car back on, but was that just “settling“ against the electronic parking brake? Or did you put it back in gear and drive forward a bit, which would have released the parking brake? If you turned it off, and never put it back into any gear, then the electronic parking brake would have still been engaged.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Love the stripe and solar panels by the way. Can you stripe the roof?
I guess I could, but I love my panoramic roof too much. Wouldn’t want to blot any part of it out. My father asked the same but he didn’t know that the roof was glass.

OP
OP

Macheeee

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150, 2013 Honda Crosstour, 2010 Audi A5 Con
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I guess I could, but I love my panoramic roof too much. Wouldn’t want to blot any part of it out. My father asked the same but he didn’t know that the roof was glass.
sorry, bad joke, I meant the roof of your garage ;-) Of course, that would block the sun for your solar. Like my wife would say, "no one thinks that is funny"

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
sorry, bad joke, I meant the roof of your garage ;-) Of course, that would block the sun for your solar. Like my wife would say, "no one thinks that is funny"
Ahhhhhh. Now I see. No stripes on the garage. But I will finishing coating it in solar panels as soon as the installer can fit my project in. Alerady paid to cover those parts where you can see the shingles.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Ahhhhhh. Now I see. No stripes on the garage. But I will finishing coating it in solar panels as soon as the installer can fit my project in. Alerady paid to cover those parts where you can see the shingles.
Keep thinking I should go solar but the ROI just isn't there. I live in the perfect place for it too.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Keep thinking I should go solar but the ROI just isn't there. I live in the perfect place for it too.
My ROI is a break even point of 9 years. The panels are warranted for 25. So the last 16 years is all FREE power. My favorite kind.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
My ROI is a break even point of 9 years. The panels are warranted for 25. So the last 16 years is all FREE power. My favorite kind.
Purchased or leased panels?
My utility tells me my break even is much longer. Hard to know what to believe from the sales force.

OP
OP

Macheeee

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
My utility tells me my break even is much longer. Hard to know what to believe from the sales force.
Moved a year ago to mountains and snow prevents panels here. I leased a sun power system for the previous 8 years and saved about $4000 each year, no upfront cost. $225 a month for lease and average power bill went from $600 to $10 monthly. Pool, kids, plug-in hybrid fusion....

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Never trust sales, have to run your own math. For me My initial 26 panels made 8500 kw/year, enough to make my power bill $0. Upfront cost was about $26K, but 50% of that was refunded on the taxes the following year. So I paid about $13K after taxes. My electric bill had been about $120/mo. $13K for panels divided by $120 meant 108 months to my break even point. Exactly 9 years.
Now I’m essentially doubling my power usage (20000 miles for both MME’s combined at about 2.5 miles/kwh [Averaging summer and winter efficiency] means I will use an extra 8000 kwh each year now). So I’m adding 10 panels this year, and when I get my electric vehicle tax refund in April of next year, I’ll add 16 more panels. Doubling my solar output while doubling my usage, most of it with EV tax refunds, EV power source installation tax refunds, and solar power installation tax refunds.

But... back to the original hijacked topic.. Watch out for the electronic parking brake.

Last edited:

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Moved a year ago to mountains and snow prevents panels here. I leased a sun power system for the previous 8 years and saved about $4000 each year, no upfront cost. $225 a month for lease and average power bill went from $600 to $10 monthly. Pool, kids, plug-in hybrid fusion....
If my bills were anywhere near that high I'd already have a roof full of panels. ?

OP
OP

Macheeee

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
One more thought. it sounds like when you switched the car off, the electronic park brake came on, which is only on the back wheels. If not in full “temporary neutral” mode, then whenever you turn the car off the electronic parking brake does turn on. So You say you rolled a bit after turning the car back on, but was that just “settling“ against the electronic parking brake? Or did you put it back in gear and drive forward a bit, which would have released the parking brake? If you turned it off, and never put it back into any gear, then the electronic parking brake would have still been engaged.
Emergency brake off. No foot on brake, used accelerator to roll a foot. Shift to neutral. Rear wheels still locked. Pressing low button worked. Following directions for temporary 30 minute neutral was only thing that worked.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Same here, Southwestern Utah so lots of sum but an electric rate of $0.06/kWhr, yes 6 cents, it makes no sense to go solar.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
Not necessarily. A lot of modern cars (including the MME) have a safety feature that automatically shifts the car into Park when you exit the vehicle...
In fact, in my stopped MME, even with "engine running," when I pull back the door release, the car shifts to Park instantly (with the doors still closed and asses still in the seats.)
Sponsored