Huge screen with zero Entertainment options !

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
as a father to 4 daughters and a husband to a wife. I have spent several hours opting to sit in the car than hit the 8th store to shop for more makeup or shoes or whatnot. I sit there watching movies on my phone. Would be great to watch on the bigger monitor. already stream the sound through the car.
When I always call out Tesla owners bragging their car has all these features that are not for driving or getting from point a to point b, no one has ever listed that use case. that is a good one for sure.
Sponsored

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Any update about Ford Play? Will we be able to use it after a future OTA? I can't believe they put the app in the car with no intention of making it work

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Anyone else getting super bored while charging ?? We have this huge screen in the car but hardly any entertainment option on it other than music!
I also have a Tesla with Netflix, Plex, games, Youtube, etc.
why put a huge screen in the car and use it as a radio ??
Did anyone try Car PlayAI box in theMach E? I would buy it if someone confirms that it works .
https://m.pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005001490150523.html?spm=a2g0n.productlist.0.0.2aee65942IPTWW&browser_id=260518d6db424cf3acf5e83f3a053e61&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=0011761b670f35100717ce71878704bb11fda54831&gclid=&_imgsrc_=ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Hcb2ca91e5aa84937bf1b8eb274cfe0e0f.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp
I have the Carplay AI Box and it works great with my Mach-E and it's also able to communicate with the cars onboard GPS, so no need for any external dangles or antennas to use mapping apps.

Here's a screenshot of my latest charge session where I was watching YouTube. But of course you have Netflix, Prime, Hulu or pretty much any other media app since it's a fully functional Android box with a full play store.

It was definitely worth the price in my mind, and I wasn't going to sit around and wait for Ford to implement something via an OTA, since I live in a condo and rely exclusively on public charging, so entertainment is actually pretty important for me while charging.

20210602_160846.jpg

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Mustang Mach-E doesn't have Ford Play.

But the app is available in the car so I assume they have plan for it. If now, why the app would show on our screen? I have Ford Play on my Mach-E screen, it just doesn't work yet and I wonder if somebody was aware of what's coming.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I have the Carplay AI Box and it works great with my Mach-E and it's also able to communicate with the cars onboard GPS, so no need for any external dangles or antennas to use mapping apps.

Here's a screenshot of my latest charge session where I was watching YouTube. But of course you have Netflix, Prime, Hulu or pretty much any other media app since it's a fully functional Android box with a full play store.

It was definitely worth the price in my mind, and I wasn't going to sit around and wait for Ford to implement something via an OTA, since I live in a condo and rely exclusively on public charging, so entertainment is actually pretty important for me while charging.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Huge screen with zero Entertainment options ! 20210602_160846
I have the carplay AI box but it sucks for me. It's wifi card or something sucks because you can only watch 240p and it takes forever to load.

bkboygenius

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue MME FE
Occupation
IT Security
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Huge screen with zero Entertainment options ! 20210602_160846
Which unit did you buy and where?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
just so I understand - you bought a $300 dongle that runs a hacked version of Android so that you can watch movies on a 9.x diagonal middling quality ~ 720P (at best) screen, when you could have purchased a cheap iPad for $329 with a 10.2” 2,160x1,620 (more than HD) screen that is really good quality? And just tossed this iPad in one of the seat back pockets? Oh, and maybe tossed a game or two on it to keep kids, if you have them, entertained on trips?
I don’t get it.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
just so I understand - you bought a $300 dongle that runs a hacked version of Android so that you can watch movies on a 9.x diagonal middling quality ~ 720P (at best) screen, when you could have purchased a cheap iPad for $329 with a 10.2” 2,160x1,620 (more than HD) screen that is really good quality? And just tossed this iPad in one of the seat back pockets? Oh, and maybe tossed a game or two on it to keep kids, if you have them, entertained on trips?
I don’t get it.
Yes, I have plenty of tablets in the house and I have absolutely zero desire to sit there holding a tablet while I charge, or leave a big ass non-cooled lithium battery in the cabin of the vehicle to roast on a hot day and potentially spontaneously combust. You ever wonder why even dash cams have moved to super caps and no longer ship with lithium batteries, despite requiring extremely low capacity cells?

With that said I prefer a clean integrated look with everything built into the vehicle, rather than carrying around a second device.

Unless I told someone they would have no idea that the infotainment was not running Netflix natively, and the audio is also perfectly in sync with the video, (something that is virtually impossible) and incredibly annoying when syncing via Bluetooth on an external device like a tablet or phone to the car for audio playback when watching a video.

But you know what different strokes for different folks, you do you and I'll do me and I'm sure we'll both be fine.

Last edited:

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Which unit did you buy and where?
I bought it from carplaymmb.com and I chose the "universal" with the "usb C" connection. The one I was shipped was grey, but looking at the site now the box appears to be blue and seems to be a newer version (likely just a different case colour with identical internals).

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Yes, I have plenty of tablets in the house and I have absolutely zero desire to sit there holding a tablet while I charge, or leave a big ass non-cooled lithium battery in the cabin of the vehicle to roast on a hot day and potentially spontaneously combust. You ever wonder why even dash cams have moved to super caps and no longer ship with lithium batteries, despite requiring extremely low capacity cells?

With that said I prefer a clean integrated look with everything built into the vehicle, rather than carrying around a second device.

Unless I told someone they would have no idea that the infotainment was not running Netflix natively, and the audio is also perfectly in sync with the video, (something that is virtually impossible) and incredibly annoying when syncing via Bluetooth on an external device like a tablet or phone to the car for audio playback when watching a video.

But you know what different strokes for different folks, you do you and I'll do me and I'm sure we'll both be fine.
Ok. I guess I’m not up on exploding dash cams and iPads. Tbh, I’m not even up on dash cams - I thought those were a Russian craze. Anyway, sounds like you found a solution that works for you. Personally, I’m hoping Ford works on getting the basic functionality of the software worked out before adding bells and whistles like Netflix and YouTube support. I’m getting tired of playing games such as “will PaaK work?” and “What’s this random destination in the Nav system?” ?

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
Come on Ford you can add this for us (however they keep on having to probably move developers to emergency fires they have with their release cars).

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag
I don’t get it.
Perfect. You should use the tablet. The rest of us we prefer to have it built directly into the infotainment system. We live in America where we don't all have to understand each other.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Personally, I’m hoping Ford works on getting the basic functionality of the software worked out before adding bells and whistles like Netflix and YouTube support.
It seems to me that Ford ought to be able to do both. And yet they can’t seem to do either. Here we are fast approaching the end of Q2 2021 and we have yet to see a single update with either discernible bug fixes or enhancements. The one enhancement currently being soft-opened to the early access crowd is a feature that wasn’t on anybody’s wish list, best we can tell, and is unlikely to be used all that much.

It’s frustrating and embarrassing. I knew going in when I chose the MME over the MY that Ford was behind the curve on software, but I failed to appreciate just how far behind.

Remember this? It was OVER FOUR MONTHS AGO.

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It seems to me that Ford ought to be able to do both. And yet they can’t seem to do either. Here we are fast approaching the end of Q2 2021 and we have yet to see a single update with either discernible bug fixes or enhancements. The one enhancement currently being soft-opened to the early access crowd is a feature that wasn’t on anybody’s wish list, best we can tell, and is unlikely to be used all that much.

It’s frustrating and embarrassing. I knew going in when I chose the MME over the MY that Ford was behind the curve on software, but I failed to appreciate just how far behind.

Remember this? It was OVER FOUR MONTHS AGO.

How's the stream of Tesla OTA updates been going during these last four months?
Sponsored