I'm loading in back, passenger can't enter door?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Do I have some setting wrong? I've been in the situation more than once where I am loading something in the back (lets say groceries) and my wife cannot open the passenger door until I open the driver's door first. Clearly the car knows I'm there because I opened the hatchback door successfully.

I've also felt that there are far too many times the passengers have to mash the button 2-3 times (which utterly confuses them if they are new to the buttons), even when I'm either already in the car or I'm at the driver door. I understand the theory of the aerodynamics gained without handles, but the door buttons are my least favorite feature on the MME and they seem a bit too much like a gimmick when a handle would have done the trick just as well.

Thoughts? Other's experience?

Hi there. This door concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Mach-E. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
Sponsored

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
At least you don’t have passengers yanking on the handle because it won’t unlock. My wife does that constantly on other cars.

I agree with other members that the key or PaaK is programmed to open driver door or all doors, but only after the key holder opens his/her door. Works fine, not a defect.

A bigger problem is you standing at the door with packages to find the freakin PaaK isn’t responding.

Jtbuster

First Name
Brian oConnor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Do I have some setting wrong? I've been in the situation more than once where I am loading something in the back (lets say groceries) and my wife cannot open the passenger door until I open the driver's door first. Clearly the car knows I'm there because I opened the hatchback door successfully.

I've also felt that there are far too many times the passengers have to mash the button 2-3 times (which utterly confuses them if they are new to the buttons), even when I'm either already in the car or I'm at the driver door. I understand the theory of the aerodynamics gained without handles, but the door buttons are my least favorite feature on the MME and they seem a bit too much like a gimmick when a handle would have done the trick just as well.

Thoughts? Other's experience?
Old story.
read past threads on it.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Most if not all other vehicles I have driven do the same thing, opening trunk doesn't unlock the doors.
Believe it's done on purpose, not a defect.
Yep. Still annoying, but not nearly as bad as kid getting in car without you noticing, I suppose.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I think that the scenario it was designed to cover is this - everyone exits the car, all doors are locked, and then you open the trunk door to get your luggage (or whatever). Do you want the doors to get unlocked at this moment? Probably not. (The fact that mirrors move like the car is unlocked is very confusing because it's not)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I think that the scenario it was designed to cover is this - everyone exits the car, all doors are locked, and then you open the trunk door to get your luggage (or whatever). Do you want the doors to get unlocked at this moment? Probably not. (The fact that mirrors move like the car is unlocked is very confusing because it's not)
In that scenario, how are the doors getting locked? If you use walk away locking, it doesn’t lock until you’re 10’ away. If you don’t use walk away unlock, you need to take action to lock the car, which it wouldn’t make sense to do until after you’ve finished in the trunk.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
If you're not checking to see if the vehicle locked (i.e. did the mirrors fold, or did it honk), you're making a mistake.

If you all exit, then go to the hatch and open it, close it and then walk away, in my experience the car doesn't lock. Even if the hatch is opened before the driver exits.

I always look back and if in doubt pull out the fob and lock it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you're not checking to see if the vehicle locked (i.e. did the mirrors fold, or did it honk), you're making a mistake.

If you all exit, then go to the hatch and open it, close it and then walk away, in my experience the car doesn't lock. Even if the hatch is opened before the driver exits.

I always look back and if in doubt pull out the fob and lock it.
I’ve had walk away locking not work occasionally, but I can’t correlate anything to it. If I get something out of the trunk, walk away lock works as long as I wait until it’s closed before walking away.
You're, right
.definitely pay attention!

OP
OP

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
I'd disagree. If you exit the door and go directly to your trunk the doors will probably not all lock as you are still within range of the car. I generally find the doors lock (and horn honks) when I'm 30-40 feet away.

I'm sure there is no perfect answer for all scenarios. If all doors locked immediately it would be a major pain for all the moments of "I forgot my sunglasses" or "I want to leave my bag in the car". I'd have to then open the driver door in order for the passenger to open their own door. Or, I suppose, I'd have to take the fob out of my pocket and hit unlock, but I consider every time I have to actually handle the fob a "fail". It's designed to stay in my pocket. It should do so.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Huh, my car obviously does not behave as intended, at least it didn’t when it mattered. đŸ˜±đŸ©

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
In that scenario, how are the doors getting locked? If you use walk away locking, it doesn’t lock until you’re 10’ away. If you don’t use walk away unlock, you need to take action to lock the car, which it wouldn’t make sense to do until after you’ve finished in the trunk.
I don't use walk away locking, don't like to have my car to be locked in the garage, and generally don't trust this automation. I always lock by pressing the lock button inside or outside the door, even if I need to get something from the trunk. And frankly, it's much better than getting the stuff and trying to lock the doors after - need to go back to the door, and might have hands full at this point.

I understand that my "use case" is not universal, but the way it works now works for me pretty well (minus unfolding the mirrors with opening the trunk. At least they fold back when it's closed.)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't use walk away locking, don't like to have my car to be locked in the garage, and generally don't trust this automation. I always lock by pressing the lock button inside or outside the door, even if I need to get something from the trunk. And frankly, it's much better than getting the stuff and trying to lock the doors after - need to go back to the door, and might have hands full at this point.

I understand that my "use case" is not universal, but the way it works now works for me pretty well (minus unfolding the mirrors with opening the trunk. At least they fold back when it's closed.)
I never even think about the button on the door post, I guess because I’ve never had a car with that. I’ve just gotten used to having a fob over the years. What you’re doing makes sense.
Sponsored