Passenger Door Unlock on Approach

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Apologies for the rando/dumb question....

I think the passenger door used to unlock for me on approach, but it no longer does with either the fob or phone. Doesn’t even unlock when I press the door button on the passenger door. I can’t find the setting for this.

The car auto-locks when I leave, and I go to the passenger door each morning to deposit my work stuff because that is the closest door when parked in my garage. Annoying to fumble with the fob to get it unlocked when my hands are full.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Apologies for the rando/dumb question....

I think the passenger door used to unlock for me on approach, but it no longer does with either the fob or phone. Doesn’t even unlock when I press the door button on the passenger door. I can’t find the setting for this.

The car auto-locks when I leave, and I go to the passenger door each morning to deposit my work stuff because that is the closest door when parked in my garage. Annoying to fumble with the fob to get it unlocked when my hands are full.
Now that I am home from my trip and have diagnosed the issue more carefully, I have the same problem with the front passenger door. Using either the fob or my phone (with FordPass open), I get the same results. I can approach either door on the driver’s side, the lift gate, or the rear passenger door, press the button and that door opens. However, if I approach the front passenger door with fob or phone and press the open button, it does not open the door and the circle inside the button doesn’t light up — however, I do hear some sounds in the door. If I press any other door button, Marlin wakes up, the door opener buttons light up, the doors unlock, and the front passenger door button works fine. If I wave my foot under the lift gate, Marlin wakes up and the door button lights all come on but the passenger door still won’t open until another door button has been pressed.

The DC area FSE thinks this may be part of the SSM 49676 issue
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-door-activation-switch-not-lighting-up.4576/
They believe the solution will be to reprogram the Body Control Module (BCM).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Now that I am home from my trip and have diagnosed the issue more carefully, I have the same problem with the front passenger door. Using either the fob or my phone (with FordPass open), I get the same results. I can approach either door on the driver’s side, the lift gate, or the rear passenger door, press the button and that door opens. However, if I approach the front passenger door with fob or phone and press the open button, it does not open the door and the circle inside the button doesn’t light up — however, I do hear some sounds in the door. If I press any other door button, Marlin wakes up, the door opener buttons light up, the doors unlock, and the front passenger door button works fine. If I wave my foot under the lift gate, Marlin wakes up and the door button lights all come on but the passenger door still won’t open until another door button has been pressed.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-door-activation-switch-not-lighting-up.4576/
I did some more testing and on mine it is both the front and rear passenger doors that do not respond to pressing the button on the door. The driver front and rear doors respond to their buttons. The hatch responds to its button and foot sensor.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag

I definitely think this would be related and should be a pretty quick "fix" to reprogram at the dealer.

NancyW

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Mach E
Country flag
I apologize if this is off topic but I've had random issues in opening my doors for seven months. When I approach my locked car with the fob/Phone as key in my purse, nothing happens until I feel around to find the circle, press that, then the lights come on, doors unlock, etc.

I seem to recall a time when I didn't have to grope my car in the dark to find the little circle. How is it supposed to work? Also, I've had the rear hatch worked on twice. They reprogrammed/then replaced something they said was causing the problem. Now it seems to be working fine but today at curbside pickup, I tried to close the hatch, using the screen function and it went halfway, then stopped. When I got out and hit the close button on the hatch, closed with no problem.

Both issues are annoying and I assume are not working as they should. Is that correct? Any advice appreciated.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I apologize if this is off topic but I've had random issues in opening my doors for seven months. When I approach my locked car with the fob/Phone as key in my purse, nothing happens until I feel around to find the circle, press that, then the lights come on, doors unlock, etc.

I seem to recall a time when I didn't have to grope my car in the dark to find the little circle. How is it supposed to work? Also, I've had the rear hatch worked on twice. They reprogrammed/then replaced something they said was causing the problem. Now it seems to be working fine but today at curbside pickup, I tried to close the hatch, using the screen function and it went halfway, then stopped. When I got out and hit the close button on the hatch, closed with no problem.

Both issues are annoying and I assume are not working as they should. Is that correct? Any advice appreciated.
Do you have the welcome lights turned on in settings?

This how mine works with welcome lights on:
As I approach, I get welcome lights (including puddle lights). The doors do not unlock until I press a button. The only door that will initiate the unlock is the one I'm standing in front of with the fob. If my passenger tries to get into the car before I press my button, they can't. Once the button is pressed on the door I'm standing in front of, all the doors unlock.

What you describe is kind of what I'd expect without the welcome lights turned on, but I've always had mine on, so I can't be sure.

NancyW

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Mach E
Country flag
Well, I saw the "pony puddle" once but not for months. I'll add this to the list of little oddities for when I take the car in for the most recent recall. Thanks for your reply - it was helpful.

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My MME is moody. When I approach the car in the garage, 90% of the time it doesn’t wake up. Once on the road though, it splashes the galloping horse at the drop of a hat.

Perhaps it’s not supposed to “wake up” while plugged in?

Vec

First Name
Michael W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, First Addition
Country flag
Do you have the welcome lights turned on in settings?

This how mine works with welcome lights on:
As I approach, I get welcome lights (including puddle lights). The doors do not unlock until I press a button. The only door that will initiate the unlock is the one I'm standing in front of with the fob. If my passenger tries to get into the car before I press my button, they can't. Once the button is pressed on the door I'm standing in front of, all the doors unlock.

What you describe is kind of what I'd expect without the welcome lights turned on, but I've always had mine on, so I can't be sure.
I have the exact opposite problem. If my car is locked then if i try to push the driver door button it will not unlock but the other three doors will unlock the car. Having said that if i manually unlock the door via fob/app the driver door will open. I cant figure it out. Yours may be a setting issue but mine is just baffling.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I have the exact opposite problem. If my car is locked then if i try to push the driver door button it will not unlock but the other three doors will unlock the car. Having said that if i manually unlock the door via fob/app the driver door will open. I cant figure it out. Yours may be a setting issue but mine is just baffling.
There is a setting for “unlock all doors” or something like that. Is yours turned on?

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag

CC how did this get fixed? I now have the same issue on my Job 1 car.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
There is a software update that fixes this. Have to take it to the dealer or DIY with FDRS. It is part of the customer satisfaction update. I had the same issue but now working as expected.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
CC how did this get fixed? I now have the same issue on my Job 1 car.
The dealer has done a couple of software updates to resolve the door lock issues. PaaK works great for me now.

rogerq23

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Country flag

I have the same issue, and this happened a few months after the PAAK software update at the dealer. PAAK was working fine for a month after the update and then on the last home update or so then my driver's door behaves this way.

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
If I select "Unlock" with the FOB as I approach the vehicle, I have to open my door first before any passengers can get in (even though I have "Unlock All Doors" selected in Settings). However, if I double-tap the unlock button on my FOB, my passengers are able to open their doors before I get to the vehicle.
Sponsored