theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Totally agree, Ford needs to fix this ASAP. I cannot cut power because the only option I have is public charging.
Trying to charge every day so the car is only at the charger for two hours at the most and done before nighttime.

Also, changed the name of my MME in Fordpass to Airworf. ?
I think you folks are going to be sorely disappointed. The car is handling the charge issue appropriately. There is almost no chance Ford will back down after the recent Bolt fires, esp. as GM ran the Bolts closer to the edge on reserve and hotter. as well. Today my 2010 volt is charging in my 105f garage, sounds only a touch quieter than the MachE, @ 3.3 kw !! My Etron sounds every bit as loud on L2 and actually generates a nice prop wash from passenger rear side as it struggles to keep itself cool in 105f.

You should take a hint at what the official FMC post said. Lower the charge rate if the noise bothers you.

I'm not saying this is what is going to happen but don't freak out if it does. To be honest I don't want Ford to do the slightest to mess with the cooling system, noise be damned.

This is I believe a function of the high temps this summer. In 6 weeks this thread will fall off the face of the earth......
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Just had our JuiceBox 48 installed yesterday, charged for the first time last night. Vehicle had sat for 2.5 hours after being driven for 30 minutes. Noise was very loud.

I've set the JuiceBox on 32amps now, and won't crank it up higher unless it won't be charged by when I need to use it. Most nights I'll have at least 10 hours of charging, so it should be fine. I'm sure I'll be playing and seeing if it makes noise at 34, or 36, or 28...

OP
OP
ODBMongoose

ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR RWD Mach-E Star White Tech Pack Plus
Country flag
I think you folks are going to be sorely disappointed. The car is handling the charge issue appropriately. There is almost no chance Ford will back down after the recent Bolt fires, esp. as GM ran the Bolts closer to the edge on reserve and hotter. as well. Today my 2010 volt is charging in my 105f garage, sounds only a touch quieter than the MachE, @ 3.3 kw !! My Etron sounds every bit as loud on L2 and actually generates a nice prop wash from passenger rear side as it struggles to keep itself cool in 105f.

You should take a hint at what the official FMC post said. Lower the charge rate if the noise bothers you.

I'm not saying this is what is going to happen but don't freak out if it does. To be honest I don't want Ford to do the slightest to mess with the cooling system, noise be damned.

This is I believe a function of the high temps this summer. In 6 weeks this thread will fall off the face of the earth......
I will, along with thousands of Europeans, freak out if they dont solve this problem.
You could have read on this thread that both FMC and Ford Netherlands told us theyre working on a fix. This should arrive aug/sept.
And this has nothing to do with a function in the summer, i have charged it very cool nights and even them it sounded like it took off like a jet.
What surprisese a bit here is most americans think its kind of ok that it sounds like a jet when charging where most europeans I spoke to agree its unusable to charge fast at home. Do keep in mind were talking 3 phase ac to dc charging here!
Im slowly getting a bit frustrated by comments saying
a) its supposed to be like this
b) mine does not make this noise
c) mine is in a closed garage so whats the problem
d) must be the outside temp
e) set it to low charging, problem solved
f) ive heard another Ev make that noise too

I think all European buyers agree. The car should be able to handle 11kw/16amps/3phase just like any other electric car. Ive compared it to other ev's and other brands do not have this insane noise. In my street there are about 5 different electric car brands (tesla, nissan, renault, volvo, vw) and they dont make his loud noise at all. After 5 weeks of owning the ME the other people here call me this guy with his noisy EV.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Do keep in mind were talking 3 phase ac to dc charging here!
People have lost track of the issue or haven’t bothered to read your very first post. The thread is about noise issues in portion of the world with 3 phase 240 volt power to homes. That presents very different issues than we have in North America.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Mine was only loud once (first or second time I was charging) and that was on 110V with charger that came with the car. Was really hot and humid that day.

With my juicebox 40 (240v 40 amp), it has never been loud that I noticed (fans running so not silent, it makes more noise when I remote start and it starts the AC).

bobh

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang MachE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Mine was only loud once (first or second time I was charging) and that was on 110V with charger that came with the car. Was really hot and humid that day.

With my juicebox 40 (240v 40 amp), it has never been loud that I noticed (fans running so not silent, it makes more noise when I remote start and it starts the AC).
I get the fan noise when I use my ford charging station at the full 48 amps. It is not very loud, but it is but I can hear and so can my neighbor, we share a driveway and I do not have a garage. When I have the time I reduce the output to 30 amps and the fan never comes on.

Ronald

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Peel P50
Country flag
For all European car owners with the noise problem. There is a temporary solution, by using a one phase cable to charge your car. It will triple the time needed to charge, but no noise. If you charge it over night it will take approx. 12 hours to full charge.

Finally Ford needs to fix this noise problem of course, and allow us to use 3 phase charging.

In the Netherlands I contacted Ford NL, send my VIN and got a new cable within 3 working days.

OP
OP
ODBMongoose

ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR RWD Mach-E Star White Tech Pack Plus
Country flag
For all European car owners with the noise problem. There is a temporary solution, by using a one phase cable to charge your car. It will triple the time needed to charge, but no noise. If you charge it over night it will take approx. 12 hours to full charge.

Finally Ford needs to fix this noise problem of course, and allow us to use 3 phase charging.

In the Netherlands I contacted Ford NL, send my VIN and got a new cable within 3 working days.
This indeed works or lowering the amps via dipswitches in your home charger. I went from 16 amps to 10 amps 3phase charging and that made charging quiet but also lenghtier. Awaiting a solution indeed

Waps61

First Name
Waps
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR
Country flag
This indeed works or lowering the amps via dipswitches in your home charger. I went from 16 amps to 10 amps 3phase charging and that made charging quiet but also lenghtier. Awaiting a solution indeed
You can win back some time by increasing up to 14 Amps on the wallbox. WOrks fine with me without the roaring noises.
Getting a 1 phase charge cable from Ford to solve the problem made me LMAO. What kind of solution is that, seriously? I'd rather collect all the angry notes under my windshield from my neighbours and publish them

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just installed a JuiceBox 48. FIrst night it was screaming. Last night I had it set to 32amps. Quiet. I upped it 2 amps at a time, and got all the way to 40 and it wasn't screaming. Changed it to 48 and it was screaming again.

Of course it takes time to heat up and kick in the cooling, so my 2 amp steps and not waiting a while may not be a scientific finding.

My plan is to keep it at 32 amps for overnight charging. If I use all the range and need a full charge, or if I need to charge it on a weekend to go out again same day, then I'll do the math and see what I need to set it at for my goal.

Last edited:

bobh

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang MachE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Just installed a JuiceBox 48. FIrst night it was screaming. Last night I had it set to 32amps. Quiet. I upped it 2 amps at a time, and got all the way to 40 and it wasn't screaming. Changed it to 48 and it was screaming again.

Of course it takes time to heat up and kick in the cooling, so my 2 amp steps and not waiting a while may not be a scientific finding.

My plan is to keep it at 32 amps for overnight charging. If I use all the range and need a full charge, or if I need to charge it on a weekend to go out again same day, then I'll do the math and see what I need to set it at for my goal.
I turned down my charging on my Ford Charge Station to 30 to avoid the fan noise. Yesterday I charged at 36A with no fan noise. I am not certain if it was a lot faster, but I will continue to charge at 36A unless I am in a hurry.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I turned down my charging on my Ford Charge Station to 30 to avoid the fan noise. Yesterday I charged at 36A with no fan noise. I am not certain if it was a lot faster, but I will continue to charge at 36A unless I am in a hurry.
It should be 20% faster.

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Prem AWD, 2019 F150, ‘94 Vet, 1948 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The point is obvious...cutting the charge rate down greatly reduces the battery cooling noise. During the day, nobody's going to object, but at night, while people are trying to sleep, noise is important. But what point is there to charging at a high nighttime rate? You don't NEED a high rate to fully charge your car during sleep time, and a higher rate shortens the life of your battery...needlessly.
FYI for all: Price of a kWh is the same whether delivered slowly or quickly unless you have off-peak rates.
Sponsored