Installing Comma.ai / OpenPilot (BlueCruise alternative)

TheNoname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Thank you! I also am not one to really care about looks.....at first anyway. I am more interested in making sure it works before then doing the routing.

Did you use the service manual to find how to pop off the paneling in the trunk? Or was it a lot of trial and error? Honestly that is the part I'm afraid of the most because I know how it easy it is to break the plastic clips on this type of trim
Sponsored

Nolanbro

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Student
Country flag
Thank you! I also am not one to really care about looks.....at first anyway. I am more interested in making sure it works before then doing the routing.

Did you use the service manual to find how to pop off the paneling in the trunk? Or was it a lot of trial and error? Honestly that is the part I'm afraid of the most because I know how it easy it is to break the plastic clips on this type of trim
I did not use the service manual. I've installed OP in like 5 different cars now so I'm pretty comfortable with it. I would honestly accept that you will break a clip or two. I think I broke one getting to IMPA and 2 getting to the subwoofer, but because that bumper trim bolts down it's not going anywhere, and it's not something that you will notice. In my Kia eNiro I had before the MachE the LKAS cover had 1 nonbroken clip and it stayed on fine. Just be careful with the clips if you are that worried or have someone else do it and not tell you if they broke any LOL. But honestly unless you break like 6 of them it wont be an issue, and you can always order a new trim panel if you really want to. I had a loose subwoofer and I probably had all the trunk panels off 6 or 7 times trying to find the noise over a month or two and it's staying together fine. I would recommend a panel clip as they are more gentle than my way of just yanking it out.

Macwestly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
That would explain my experience!

I just installed mine today and it was somewhat easier than I expected. I watched this this video just for removing the panel by the lift gate latch. I also watch the EV Vida video here just to see how cables were run and to get the right cable connector. It’s not the top one, it’s the one below. I couldn’t find anything that showed the side panel removal so I just felt along and pulled where I felt connectors. I got lucky and none broke. You don’t need to remove the entire panel, just enough connectors to get your hands in there.

Nolanbro

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Student
Country flag
I just installed mine today and it was somewhat easier than I expected. I watched this this video just for removing the panel by the lift gate latch. I also watch the EV Vida video here just to see how cables were run and to get the right cable connector. It’s not the top one, it’s the one below. I couldn’t find anything that showed the side panel removal so I just felt along and pulled where I felt connectors. I got lucky and none broke. You don’t need to remove the entire panel, just enough connectors to get your hands in there.
Are you using the C3 or C3X? Interested to hear your feedback. Have you seen any error lights on the dash?

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
You definitely want a C3X. Using an external red panda with a C3 is messy in a Mach E

Macwestly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
I’m using the 3X. No error lights on dash. It works surprisingly well. The “wind up” after a turn is the biggest issue and thanks to AjzRide should be fixed soon. The only other issue I am having is that the Mach E windshield seems to be very good at blocking GPS signals so the 3X frequently displays a message about no GPS signal but if you’re not using navigation, it’s no big deal but I can’t seem to dismiss the message. Outside of that, I’m in awe of how well it works. Of course I am always ready to take over if needed. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty amazing.

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
The only other issue I am having is that the Mach E windshield seems to be very good at blocking GPS signals so the 3X frequently displays a message about no GPS signal but if you’re not using navigation, it’s no big deal but I can’t seem to dismiss the message.
MachE windshield does block lots of signals:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-gt-windshield-and-ez-pass-problems.19030/

There are some who hare not having the pop-up though, so I think it's dependent on how strong the signal in your area is. I will see if I can find a way to suppress the message.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This is a great project, and many thanks to everyone for contributing and sharing! If I keep my MME after my 3-year BC trial runs out then this will be a no-brainer.

Question: I see mentions of a dashcam mode. Can the dashcam functionality run at the same time as the OP ADAS functions, or is it "one or the other"?

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
This is a great project, and many thanks to everyone for contributing and sharing! If I keep my MME after my 3-year BC trial runs out then this will be a no-brainer.

Question: I see mentions of a dashcam mode. Can the dashcam functionality run at the same time as the OP ADAS functions, or is it "one or the other"?
It records (almost 360) video anytime you are on-road, it does not have a sentry mode when parked due to lack of hdd space. "Dashcam mode" refers to a mode when it is locked into dashcam only and will not provide ADAS, usually because it does not recognize the vehicle or thinks the vehicle is unsupported.

Macwestly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium

I only had a 90 day trial of BC which runs out in a couple days. In that 90 days I drove on ZERO roads that supported "hands-free" BC. With OpenPilot and the C3X, almost every road is "hands-free." (Always be ready to take over when needed, you're still the driver) Depending on where and how you drive, you might find it useful before your BC service runs out. :)

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It records (almost 360) video anytime you are on-road, it does not have a sentry mode when parked due to lack of hdd space. "Dashcam mode" refers to a mode when it is locked into dashcam only and will not provide ADAS, usually because it does not recognize the vehicle or thinks the vehicle is unsupported.
That's so cool. Thank you!

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I only had a 90 day trial of BC which runs out in a couple days. In that 90 days I drove on ZERO roads that supported "hands-free" BC. With OpenPilot and the C3X, almost every road is "hands-free." (Always be ready to take over when needed, you're still the driver) Depending on where and how you drive, you might find it useful before your BC service runs out. :)
I'm so tempted. But my BC road coverage here in the Northeast is acvually pretty good, at least for my common trips. I'm on BC 1.0 which is "okay", but has some well-known problems that really take away from the experience.

I can't quite justify the OP expense right now but I'll admit the gadget enthusiast in me is very tempted. It'll probably just require a late night, couple beers, some boredom, and a laptop to pull the trigger on this impulse buy ;)

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
I'm so tempted. But my BC road coverage here in the Northeast is acvually pretty good, at least for my common trips. I'm on BC 1.0 which is "okay", but has some well-known problems that really take away from the experience.

I can't quite justify the OP expense right now but I'll admit the gadget enthusiast in me is very tempted. It'll probably just require a late night, couple beers, some boredom, and a laptop to pull the trigger on this impulse buy ;)
I have BC 1.4 on my truck (gifted by the forscan geniuses for research purposes) and you still couldn't pay me enough to give up my Comma.
Sponsored