Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME AWD EXT, 2013 Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
IT Systems Architect
Country flag
Looking into it more, because the MME uses CAN-FD, we would need to get the CAN-FD kit for the Red Panda as well as the Ford Q4 car harness. This solution would run about $650 total, so more than the mongoose cable. While it should work fine for FDRS, the only time this would make sense with the increased price would be if you also plan to run OpenPilot.

@Mikeg you will either need to also order the Ford Q4 harness from the car harness section of the store for an additional $200 or bail out alltogether (unless you wanted to eventually try out OpenPilot that is)
The harness is only used if you will be interfacing with the Comma.ai hardware, IIRC. I’m quite familiar with this company and their hardware and am active in their discord. Are interested are welcome. It’s an amazingly talented bunch.
Sponsored

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
I think liability is part of the concern there. I'm highly technical, and I would be willing to update my own car, but if I try and do an FDRS update on someone else's vehicle and things don't go well, I'm not willing to shoulder that liability.
It's way overblown. You can reflash any of the modules if it doesn't take. I've tried to break my vehicles, even ran the MME down to 9.5v and everything started shutting off breaking the flash process entirely. Went back through and manually reflashed the module. FDRS is a tech tool made to fix mistakes.

OP
OP
cryptk

cryptk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE, Blazer EV RS (reserved)
Country flag
It's way overblown. You can reflash any of the modules if it doesn't take. I've tried to break my vehicles, even ran the MME down to 9.5v and everything started shutting off breaking the flash process entirely. Went back through and manually reflashed the module. FDRS is a tech tool made to fix mistakes.
And after I've used it some, maybe my opinion will change, I'm just giving some insight into why some people may not feel comfortable offering that service.

Another reason is that I don't necessarily want people that I don't know showing up at my house where my family lives. It would be different if I knew the person, maybe I've met them a few times at a meet up or something like that, but if I've never met someone before I don't want the first time to be them coming over to my house.

Either way, none of that is with this thread is actually about, it's about the viability of using the comma panda as a j2534 adapter.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
And after I've used it some, maybe my opinion will change, I'm just giving some insight into why some people may not feel comfortable offering that service.

Another reason is that I don't necessarily want people that I don't know showing up at my house where my family lives. It would be different if I knew the person, maybe I've met them a few times at a meet up or something like that, but if I've never met someone before I don't want the first time to be them coming over to my house.

Either way, none of that is with this thread is actually about, it's about the viability of using the comma panda as a j2534 adapter.
Yeah, I'm not on the list though I work out of my office primarily. Might be putting BC 1.2 on the MME tonight.

OP
OP
cryptk

cryptk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do tell?! I’m assuming someone needs to send me the files for 1.2?
He swapped out the whole hardware module with one that came from the factory with BC 1.2.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
He swapped out the whole hardware module with one that came from the factory with BC 1.2.
Well no, he bought another IPMA and had it flashed. You won't find the details because ford may eventually get around to patching out the ability to flash them if it gets too prolific. There's always someone that finds a way to break something and not want to take blame, instead trying to bring the whole ship down with them.

OP
OP
cryptk

cryptk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well no, he bought another IPMA and had it flashed. You won't find the details because ford may eventually get around to patching out the ability to flash them if it gets too prolific. There's always someone that finds a way to break something and not want to take blame, instead trying to bring the whole ship down with them.
According to the pinned comment in his video, he "got his hands on one with the software installed". As far as I know, I don't think he explicitly states with the source of the IPMA was.
Sponsored