Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 First Edition Mach E 4X
Occupation
Sports Car Dealer
Country flag
Hey All,

Been a long time lurker here and finally created an account. I've got two '21 Mach E's, a First Edition 4X and a Premium 4X. Great cars, however there is a massive discrepancy between their current software versions. My Premium I think is currently running 4.1.2 (the sync screen updates are fantastic) and has had BlueCruise for quite awhile. My First Edition is still on 2.1.x and *will not* update itself. No BC Hands OFF, no Sync UI upgrades, nada.

So I got fed up and sent my First Edition into the dealer and told em I want to get mine updated to the latest available. They kinda looked at me funny and said "Ok, sure". Now, I live in the upper midwest. Electric cars are not super common around here, but they do exist. However, for the dealer service centers around here, I think EV maintenance is a bit like asking a software engineer to tune a carb. Not a dig on them, it's just quite a bit different than typical vehicle maintenance.

All in all they had my car for a month. I kept checking the FordPass app to see what was going on (if they moved it, plugged in, anything!). I finally got a software update, and it was some pre-BC update. I got excited because I assumed this would bring my First Edition on par with my Premium. I was wrong.

A side note here, they also decide to perform some recall work, namely resealing the glass. Now typically I do not have dealerships do recalls unless I think it's needed for safety or some other feature. I'm a sports car dealer myself and I've found that usually these service centers will gum something else up when fixing the recall. Anyway, they decided to go ahead and break my windshield. They were nice enough to replace it for free, but it took an additional week and a half.

I get a call that my car is ready and so I drive an hour to the dealership to go pick it up. As soon as I turn the car on I can tell that Sync has not been updated and I'm still on the launch UI. At this point, I think to myself, it's not worth telling them about it because I don't have any confidence that they can update it, much less understand what I'm asking of them. I drive back home and then I notice that BC Hands ON isn't working either. I've got green lines for the lane keeping, but they never turn full blue or go into the curvy circle thing for Hands On BC(see photo). I've washed the car, cleaned the cameras, went on clear roads - you name it, no BC. I also get a notification when toggling lane keeping with the steering wheel button that says: "BlueCruise not available. Driver Camera Blocked - See manual." The driver camera is definitely not blocked, there are no obstructions or anything. It just will not work.

I dived into this forum and discovered the FDRS tutorial and decided this was my best move. Prior to being a dealer myself I spent 15 years designing software, so I'm gonna hope that gives me enough experience not to brick my car (knock on wood).

Before I jump into FDRS, can anyone think of something else I might have missed or done wrong?

Thanks,

Kynitekia

20230320_105611.jpg
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Make sure the front camera coax cable is routed correctly. It is very common for the techs doing the glass recall to damage this cable or connect it wrong when they put the car back together, which breaks BlueCruise. See this for correct routing (avoid stress on the termination):

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...assist-not-available-errors.18710/post-604532

You will need to perform an IPMA calibration with FDRS first since the windshield was replaced. You will need to drive on a straight flat road with good lines for a mile or so to calibrate it.

After that's good and working, you can proceed with the updates. There is still a warning out about the IPC update not working, so good luck there. I assume you have the proper power supply, etc.

OP
OP

Kynitekia

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 First Edition Mach E 4X
Occupation
Sports Car Dealer
Country flag
Make sure the front camera coax cable is routed correctly. It is very common for the techs doing the glass recall to damage this cable or connect it wrong when they put the car back together, which breaks BlueCruise. See this for correct routing (avoid stress on the termination):

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...assist-not-available-errors.18710/post-604532

You will need to perform an IPMA calibration with FDRS first since the windshield was replaced. You will need to drive on a straight flat road with good lines for a mile or so to calibrate it.

After that's good and working, you can proceed with the updates. There is still a warning out about the IPC update not working, so good luck there. I assume you have the proper power supply, etc.
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll be working on it either this afternoon or tomorrow. Will update with what goes on.
Sponsored