DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I'm glad it's not a pony car. I don't like pony cars. I've owned sports cars but I am too old for one now, my knees and back can't take getting down that close to the ground any more. I was having trouble getting into the Model S or my wife's Chevy Volt. I wanted a crossover SUV-type BEV that had some height off the ground. I drove Teslas and the iPace and the Volvo. I chose Ford. I could not care less that Ford chose to call it a Mustang. But they did. And I don't give half a sheet about what other people think about the vehicle either, really. Let the haters hate.
Sponsored

VaderMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, Mustang Mach E! (Shadow Black)
Occupation
Supervisor
Country flag
It's mine, it's pretty bad ass, and I don't give a rat's rump what anyone thinks of it. Unless of course they'd like to make the payments.?

You may notice my garage is full of Corvette things. There was a "slightly" similar thing in Corvette world when the C7 series did not have round taillights! (Gasp) That series went on to be the best selling...ever.?‍♂

Ford Mustang Mach-E "iTs NoT a MuStAnG!" IMG_20210708_173910927

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
After going through this thread, I'm glad I've gotten NO attention either way -- outside friends/family of course. I think shadow black runs a bit under the radar.

But Ford definitely took a branding risk with the MME and now with the F-150 Lightning. I applaud their cahunas, and their risk has made them a highly talked about "innovative" company -- stock is at its highest price in over 5 years!

In Ford's world, I'm sure the "Wall Street" crowd is more important than the "not-a-mustang" crowd.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I agree with the comment upthread that the "not a Mustang" crowd doesn't hate the powertrain, but the fact that it's a four-door SUV. Or at least the majority of that crowd...

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Except that they could have made a Mustang coupe Mach-E. That would have “saved the Mustang” too. They are going to make a Bev Mustang, it’s just going to be a couple years. The dislike from the Mustang guys stems way more from the body style than the power train.
If they had done that, you and I would not be having this conversation because I would not buy that car. And I won't when/if it comes out. I prefer the Mustang Mach-e over the ICE Mustang. By a lot.

secretvampire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Dark Matter Gray MME GT
Country flag
If they had done that, you and I would not be having this conversation because I would not buy that car. And I won't when/if it comes out. I prefer the Mustang Mach-e over the ICE Mustang. By a lot.
And that's really it. I've never owned a Ford in my life. The only reason I'm on board for the MME is that it checks the boxes for utility, range, fun-to-drive, aesthetics, etc. that I have been waiting for before I would make the jump to a BEV. A coupe would have been a complete no-go.

I'm trading in a pretty nice Porsche 911 for my GT, if that tells you where I'm at in my life. The 911 is fun, but it just sits WAY too much with having a kid now and my ICE daily driver is falling apart (don't buy Infinitis). :D

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Much ado about nothing. Ford made a wise marketing decision, this isn’t Ford’s New Coke moment or anything (though that ended up fine for Coca Cola) It’s actually a bit like the Mustang II intro in 1973 - all of the haters forget that the Mustang II was actually just what many buyers were looking for immediately after the first oil crisis. Smaller, more efficient, and it sold over 1 Million units from ‘74-78. Saved Ford’s ass.

I’ve owned 7 Mustangs from Fox, to SN95, and finally S197 platforms, all 5.0 V-8s, all modified. Some mild, some wild, nitrous, Superchargers, 347 stroker, you name it. The Mach E being called a Mustang doesn’t bother me even a tiny bit.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
Much ado about nothing. Ford made a wise marketing decision, this isn’t Ford’s New Coke moment or anything (though that ended up fine for Coca Cola) It’s actually a bit like the Mustang II intro in 1973 - all of the haters forget that the Mustang II was actually just what many buyers were looking for immediately after the first oil crisis. Smaller, more efficient, and it sold over 1 Million units from ‘74-78. Saved Ford’s ass.
While these fan boards and of course social media didn't have the potency in the early 2000s (ahhh, better days), I know a heap of criticism was lodged against Chrysler for the 4-door Wrangler. Heck, some of those people are still bitter today: https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/4-doors.86581/

Yet Jeep can't keep them in stock and most Wrangler owners I know have the Unlimited and don't understand why Jeep even sells the other one.

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e 4x, 1965 F-100, 1999 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'd like to see a reaction to Mach-E with Trump bumper sticker. I'm afraid to do such an experiment on my car, but if you decide to try let us know how that went. ?
This is on my back window...

Ford Mustang Mach-E "iTs NoT a MuStAnG!" 1627357964926

And this is on the right side.

Ford Mustang Mach-E "iTs NoT a MuStAnG!" 1627357999335

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And that's really it. I've never owned a Ford in my life. The only reason I'm on board for the MME is that it checks the boxes for utility, range, fun-to-drive, aesthetics, etc. that I have been waiting for before I would make the jump to a BEV. A coupe would have been a complete no-go.

I'm trading in a pretty nice Porsche 911 for my GT, if that tells you where I'm at in my life. The 911 is fun, but it just sits WAY too much with having a kid now and my ICE daily driver is falling apart (don't buy Infinitis). :D
On the other hand,

My wife calls this car “The Mustang.” My sister calls it a Mustang. My brother-in-law calls it a Mustang. His kids call it a Mustang. My niece, her husband and kids call it a Mustang. My neighbors call it an electric Mustang. I call it the Mach-e. It would not have bothered me one bit if Ford had the exact same styling and had just called it the Mach-e. I quite understand folks like @JoeDimwit who have an image of how a Mustang is supposed to look. That’s ok by me, Ford builds several flavors of the Mustang. It also builds several flavors of the Mustang Mach-e. Win for me, win for Ford, win for my dealer’s pocketbook. ;)

Is it a Mustang? That’s like the old Tootsie Pop commercial, “The world May never know.”

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd like to see a reaction to Mach-E with Trump bumper sticker. I'm afraid to do such an experiment on my car, but if you decide to try let us know how that went. ?
Saw a Tesla model Y at the Coeur d’Alene Supercharger Station last week with a Trump bumper sticker on it. This was odd for two reasons.

1. I’ve never seen a car in that SuperCharger Station. Ever. And,
2. I was on the mainland.

What was peoples reaction? *Shrug* I was in Idaho.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag

I’ve owned 7 Mustangs from Fox, to SN95, and finally S197 platforms, all 5.0 V-8s, all modified. Some mild, some wild, nitrous, Superchargers, 347 stroker, you name it. The Mach E being called a Mustang doesn’t bother me even a tiny bit.
Ford needed a big win with their first electric. They needed something that could at least compete with a Model Y and Model 3. It was a necessary move to attract attention, but also push their engineering team to think better. Instead of a boring economy car that the chevy bolt is or an electric focus. The reality is many other makers were putzing around with EVs until Tesla. Some still are (cough, cough TOYOTA).

Ford actually decided to take a risk. I think THAT says more about the Mustang brand than a 2 door coupe. Taking risks and reinventing itself for it's era. This is the electric car era, and 2 door electric cars, while a thing, are not where they landed in terms of mass market appeal. They have to have four doors, even the Porsche EV has four doors, and there is a hatchback version of the model.

It's a brand where ford often takes its biggest risks and feels where it can be innovative.

Calling it anything other than a Mustang would have resulted in a much worse vehicle. They felt they needed to live up to the name, and maybe even surpass it, especially considering they were making changes.

What did we get...a luxury crossover that gets 0-60 times that are pretty much in the same range as modern mustangs. In fact its like a Mustang met a BMW or Audi in the interior. This probably has the best interior to ever grace the Mustang title, and it's legit luxury/premium car. Acoustic windows, IR coating, etc.

The controversy over calling it a Mustang drew even more visibility. Then when push came to shove it became the compelling alternative to Tesla's Model 3 and Model Y that was the most discussed.

Which is EXACTLY what Ford wanted. The spotlight. The controversy.

It wanted people talking about it. It wanted the attention. Good and bad. It was taking a massive risk, but also a needed risk. If ford just released another also ran economy electric, it would have been ignored, or even branded it something else.

The very fact is that this car has people who love it....kind of shows the risk is worth it. The people who hate it, hate it because it's a crossover, but the car isn't for them. Its for people like me.

Let me be clear, outside my day job, I am a musician, I kind of wanted a modern mustang, but a 2 door coupe just isn't doable for me in terms of playing shows. My gear takes up space, and 2 door coupes are a no go. The Mach E means I am getting to have my cake and eat it too. There are many men and women in their forties and fifties who want a mustang. But they have dogs, kids, and hobbies which require a bit more. But people still want fast and sporty vehicles that look good. We can afford a little luxury or performance with professional jobs.

So yeah...Ford made a Mustang Mach-E because it needed too. It wants a mass market performance and luxury EV. Calling it a lincoln would have not worked as well. Nor calling it anything else. It was a risk. A needed risk. It needed to call it a Mustang.

Last edited:

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
I don't understand why people are annoyed at others being annoyed about the Mustang name.
Because it shows an ever-increasing tendency in America to adopt a h8ter culture. People being poisonous for no good reason. People cranking slight annoyance up to the level of vivid abusiveness. Have you seen the videos of normally-parked Teslas being keyed by female grocery shoppers? Just because they can't afford one?