Jump Start Guide in Owner Manual

jenwayz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang EcoBoost Premium 2019
Country flag
I was reading through posts on the drained 12v battery this morning, and found most of the replies seeming not understanding how to jump start the vehicle without opening doors or opening hood or opening covering inside the hood.

And here goes the guide in Owner Manual, that it shows where to find the wires easily from the front bumper cover as bottom pic shows.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Jump Start Guide in Owner Manual how to jump start MMe in owner manual

Ford Mustang Mach-E Jump Start Guide in Owner Manual MMe jump start where to find

Hope it helps!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I don't think the issue was that people didn't know how to do it. The issue is that it's a PIA.

Those wires don't jump start the vehicle, they just open the hood. It's not possible to jump the vehicle without opening the hood and removing the rear and left side panels.

Last edited:

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I’m honestly considering just running a jumper cable from that positive post and leaving it attached all the time so I don’t have to reach it in case things go horribly wrong.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I was reading through posts on the drained 12v battery this morning, and found most of the replies seeming not understanding how to jump start the vehicle without opening doors or opening hood or opening covering inside the hood.

And here goes the guide in Owner Manual, that it shows where to find the wires easily from the front bumper cover as bottom pic shows.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Jump Start Guide in Owner Manual MMe jump start where to find

Hope it helps!
You need to re-read those instructions. Applying power to those wires ONLY enables opening the hood. In order to jump start the vehicle, you need to open the hood AND take the covers off in the luggage compartment to expose the battery positive jump start terminal and apply power there. Removing those covers in the luggage compartment is not that easy, as @ChasingCoral has mentioned.

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
What voltage do you need to attach to those exterior wires?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
We know it works with 12v. We're still waiting for somebody to try it with a 9v battery to see if it works.
I'm really curious about this, only because having a 9V handy on the car somewhere is of course a lot less trouble than a 12V jump. haven't decided EXACTLY where one could be stored that was outside of the car safely yet not 100% visible though. will be easier when I have a car of my own to go over ;)

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I'm really curious about this, only because having a 9V handy on the car somewhere is of course a lot less trouble than a 12V jump. haven't decided EXACTLY where one could be stored that was outside of the car safely yet not 100% visible though. will be easier when I have a car of my own to go over ;)
Either inside that little bumper port, or, perhaps one of those magnetic underbody secret spare key storage thingies.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Either inside that little bumper port, or, perhaps one of those magnetic underbody secret spare key storage thingies.
Or under the back bumper where Teslas store all that dirt! ?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

Hope it helps!
Thanks (and welcome to the forum!), but as others mentioned, this will not jump start the vehicle. Those terminals exist only for popping the frunk; you can't jump or charge the 12v from there.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I thought of the "hide a key" thing but the ones I've seen are truly key depth meaning they wouldn't be able to hold a 9V. Maybe a set of AAAA cells which would be similar in size to a 9V but would give you more flexibility in layout. ?

inside that bumper port is a suggestion a few have made I think but I don't know if it would fit well in there. I'd have to try it and see.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Those terminals exist only for popping the frunk; you can't jump or charge the 12v from there.
Of course, this begs the question, why not? Ford went through the trouble of putting those wires there. It sure would have made life a lot easier if you could just jump start the car with those wires. You wouldn't even need to get into the frunk.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
inside that bumper port is a suggestion a few have made I think but I don't know if it would fit well in there. I'd have to try it and see.
I've seen it in person, and can confirm that a single 9v would definitely fit in there. I guess the only "danger" is it contacting those terminals inadvertently, and then discharging itself?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Of course, this begs the question, why not? Ford went through the trouble of putting those wires there. It sure would have made life a lot easier if you could just jump start the car with those wires. You wouldn't even need to get into the frunk.
WARNING: COMPLETE SPECULATIVE GUESS FOLLOWS

it's likely due to the size (gauge) of the wires and the current load expected in that scenario.
Sponsored