Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Yes. The Mach-E is different.
As they say on Twitter: "Evergreen tweet" (*) ?

(*) For those not familiar: this means "This is always true"
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have to say I LOVE the keypad on my Escape. I hate carrying keys in my pocket, especially if I am about to go running or hiking. I lock my keys in my car almost every day and just use the keypad. I will still use it on the MME if I do not have my phone. Hate keyfobs.
Not sure why you replied that to my post. I was referring to the 12345 joke from one of my favorite movies.

The keypad is a great idea, and in fact I hope to take advantage of it myself when we go the the beach or somewhere else that a wallet is a pita.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
There are 5 buttons with 10 digits on them. With 5 different buttons, that means there are 100,000 possible combinations.
On my Fusion’s entry keypad each button represents two digits. You might create an entry code with any five of the typical 10 digits but remember that 11111 is effectively the same code as 22222 as 1 and 2 are entered using the same button. Also same as 12121 and 11112 and so on. The number of available true combinations is 5x5x5x5x5. 3,125 possibilities.

That said, as pointed out, any one who wants the laptop in your back seat need only break your window.

Further, anyone who gets in the MME would need a second pin to drive away.

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
My Escape requires a 5 digit PIN. I'm not positive, but as I recall, repeating numbers (1-1-1-1-1) are not permitted. I've always thought the 5-button configuration was a security weakness. I think it dates back to when the buttons were actual hard switches and they were trying to reduce costs, so they went to 5 buttons and simply put two numbers on each button. Now that the buttons are touch buttons on glass, the reliability concerns and manufacturing expenses shouldn't be there, so I don't see why they can't have 10 distinct digits.

Hopefully, the start code is actually based on 10 digits (0-9) with the option of choosing a complex alphanumeric passphrase.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
.... Is there a code to start the car? I've owned Fords with the keypad and on them, entering the code only unlocks the car at most. Maybe the Mach E is different.
Yes, page 64 of the manual explains it:

USING THE BACKUP START PASSCODE

If you are unable to start your vehicle with Phone as a Key, follow the steps below:

1. Press the brake pedal and the ignition button. If the system does not detect a valid Phone as a Key, a message appears and the system prompts you for your Backup Start Passcode.

Note: Make sure you have Phone as a Key active on at least one phone to use the previously created Backup Start Passcode.

Note: If the Backup Start Passcode screen does not appear, it is necessary to press the ignition button again.

2. Use the touchscreen to enter your Backup Start Passcode.

3. After entering your Backup Start Passcode, you must press Enter within 30 seconds.

4. Once the system validates the Backup Start Passcode, a message alerts you to start your vehicle.

5. Press the brake pedal and the ignition button within 20 seconds to start the vehicle.

6. If your vehicle does not start, repeat steps 1-5.

System Lockout

The system locks after five attempts of trying to enter a Backup Start Passcode, resetting a current passcode or entering an incorrect Valet Mode passcode.

Note: The system remains locked for five minutes. After five minutes the system allows codes to be entered again.

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
For those that know about the MME's keypad or own other Fords with keypad entry, what are the security measures in place?

- can someone just walk up and spend an hour randomly guessing the number to gain entry?
- are you locked out for a certain period after three incorrect attempts (like the iphone)?
- can you disable the keypad entirely if you don't want this feature?

I can see the benefit of the keypad, being an ex-aussie it would have been great going to the beach and locking the valuables in the car (though Australia isn't getting the Mustang Mach-E at this stage!)

But I have this overwhelming sense that some delinquents will walk up and start randomly guessing the code to get into the car!
I've got a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid that has the 5 digit keypad and I love it. Helps for running in the park without needing my keys.

If the wrong code has been entered seven times (35 consecutive button presses), the keypad will go into an anti-scan mode. This mode disables the keypad for one minute and the keypad lamp will flash.

The anti-scan feature will turn off after:

• one minute of keypad inactivity.
• pressing the transmitter. control on the transmitter.
• the ignition is turned on.
• unlocking the vehicle using intelligent access.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, page 64 of the manual explains it:

USING THE BACKUP START PASSCODE

If you are unable to start your vehicle with Phone as a Key, follow the steps below:

1. Press the brake pedal and the ignition button. If the system does not detect a valid Phone as a Key, a message appears and the system prompts you for your Backup Start Passcode.

Note: Make sure you have Phone as a Key active on at least one phone to use the previously created Backup Start Passcode.

Note: If the Backup Start Passcode screen does not appear, it is necessary to press the ignition button again.

2. Use the touchscreen to enter your Backup Start Passcode.

3. After entering your Backup Start Passcode, you must press Enter within 30 seconds.

4. Once the system validates the Backup Start Passcode, a message alerts you to start your vehicle.

5. Press the brake pedal and the ignition button within 20 seconds to start the vehicle.

6. If your vehicle does not start, repeat steps 1-5.

System Lockout

The system locks after five attempts of trying to enter a Backup Start Passcode, resetting a current passcode or entering an incorrect Valet Mode passcode.

Note: The system remains locked for five minutes. After five minutes the system allows codes to be entered again.
Does the backup start passcode only allow you to drive in reverse? ;)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have to say I LOVE the keypad on my Escape. I hate carrying keys in my pocket, especially if I am about to go running or hiking. I lock my keys in my car almost every day and just use the keypad. I will still use it on the MME if I do not have my phone. Hate keyfobs.
I don't even know what the code is for our Escape. I suppose I should figure out how to look it up and have for backup. But I almost never use the fob buttons either. I just leave it in my pocket, and use the touch sensors on the door handles to lock and unlock the car.

Louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Country flag
On my Fusion’s entry keypad each button represents two digits. You might create an entry code with any of the typical 10 digits but remember that 11111 is effectively the same code as 22222 as 1 and 2 are entered using the same button. Also same as 12121 and 11112 and so on. The number of available true combinations is 5x5x5x5x5. 3,125 possibilities.
Thank you for mathing for us. Correctly.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My Escape requires a 5 digit PIN. I'm not positive, but as I recall, repeating numbers (1-1-1-1-1) are not permitted. I've always thought the 5-button configuration was a security weakness. I think it dates back to when the buttons were actual hard switches and they were trying to reduce costs, so they went to 5 buttons and simply put two numbers on each button. Now that the buttons are touch buttons on glass, the reliability concerns and manufacturing expenses shouldn't be there, so I don't see why they can't have 10 distinct digits.

Hopefully, the start code is actually based on 10 digits (0-9) with the option of choosing a complex alphanumeric passphrase.
Not much of a 'weakness' at all from a practical standpoint. 5^5 is still 3125 possible combinations. That's way more than enough to make the odds of someone randomly land on your code with multiple attempts so small that it's highly secure. Particularly since there's usually lockout mechanisms built in after so many failed attempts.

If they wanted to allow longer numbers too, that's fine I suppose. But it shouldn't be required IMO. The problem with requiring more complex passcodes is that people won't remember them and have to write them down instead (like a slip of paper in their wallet), making that in itself the real security risk.

Reactions: ARK

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
I don't even know what the code is for our Escape. I suppose I should figure out how to look it up and have for backup. But I almost never use the fob buttons either. I just leave it in my pocket, and use the touch sensors on the door handles to lock and unlock the car.
My 2010 Edge paperwork included a plastic, credit card sized card with the code and instructions on how to use it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mach-E included something similar.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My 2010 Edge paperwork included a plastic, credit card sized card with the code and instructions on how to use it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mach-E included something similar.
Yep, I remember that. Came on the ring with the fobs IIRC. Just can't remember where I put ours 8 years and one house move ago. ☺

Dangerfish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE Cyber Orange
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
Country flag
.... Is there a code to start the car? I've owned Fords with the keypad and on them, entering the code only unlocks the car at most. Maybe the Mach E is different.
Yes, a second code is needed to start the car.

Dangerfish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE Cyber Orange
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
Country flag
Mach E will come with a "master" code but will also allow you to set your own in addition to the master.
Sponsored