Keypad Security

Nick Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Country flag
For those that know about the MME's keypad or own other Fords with keypad entry, what are the security measures in place?

- can someone just walk up and spend an hour randomly guessing the number to gain entry?
- are you locked out for a certain period after three incorrect attempts (like the iphone)?
- can you disable the keypad entirely if you don't want this feature?

I can see the benefit of the keypad, being an ex-aussie it would have been great going to the beach and locking the valuables in the car (though Australia isn't getting the Mustang Mach-E at this stage!)

But I have this overwhelming sense that some delinquents will walk up and start randomly guessing the code to get into the car!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dangerfish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE Cyber Orange
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
Country flag
I had a 1996 Ford that had a keypad and never had any issues. There are 5 buttons with 10 digits on them. With 5 different buttons, that means there are 100,000 possible combinations. Not too worried about that being cracked. Dont know if its been updated in more recent years to lockout after a certain number of attempts. They cant start the car if they were to guess and gain entry so all they can do is steal stuff from the inside and if that was their intent, then they would have just smashed the window instead of standing around trying to guess for an hour. This isnt something to worry about.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
For those that know about the MME's keypad or own other Fords with keypad entry, what are the security measures in place?

- can someone just walk up and spend an hour randomly guessing the number to gain entry?
- are you locked out for a certain period after three incorrect attempts (like the iphone)?

I can see the benefit of the keypad, being an ex-aussie it would have been great going to the beach and locking valuable in the car (though Australia isn't getting the Mustang Mach-E at this stage!)

But I have this overwhelming sense that some delinquents will walk up and start randomly guessing the code to get into the car!
If someone is going to spend the time randomly guessing they are determined and will get in no matter what (smash a window)

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

I can see the benefit of the keypad, being an ex-aussie it would have been great going to the beach and locking valuable in the car (though Australia isn't getting the Mustang Mach-E at this stage!)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Keypad Security 1610142086338

Ford Mustang Mach-E Keypad Security 1610142061942

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Twisted minds think alike - I would've posted the same thing but you beat me to it
I have to say I LOVE the keypad on my Escape. I hate carrying keys in my pocket, especially if I am about to go running or hiking. I lock my keys in my car almost every day and just use the keypad. I will still use it on the MME if I do not have my phone. Hate keyfobs.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
If someone wants your car, they're going to get your car. A keypad combo isn't going to stop them. That said, as already pointed out, the number of possibilities to brute force a combo on that pad is way too much even for someone standing there an hour, as you proposed

Reactions: UW2

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
If someone wants your car, they're going to get your car. A keypad combo isn't going to stop them. That said, as already pointed out, the number of possibilities to brute force a combo on that pad is way too much even for someone standing there an hour, as you proposed

I agree, just need to avoid the obvious numbers (as noted 1234, your house number where your MME is parked, etc.). Even if they were somehow able to gain entry, as I understand it, they need to guess a different code once inside the car to actually be able to turn it on and drive away.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I agree, just need to avoid the obvious numbers (as noted 1234, your house number where your MME is parked, etc.). Even if they were somehow able to gain entry, as I understand it, they need to guess a different code once inside the car to actually be able to turn it on and drive away.
Well, the start code obviously is 4321

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
.... Is there a code to start the car? I've owned Fords with the keypad and on them, entering the code only unlocks the car at most. Maybe the Mach E is different.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
.... Is there a code to start the car? I've owned Fords with the keypad and on them, entering the code only unlocks the car at most. Maybe the Mach E is different.
Mach-E should have PIN to drive as part of Phone-As-A-Key like the Aviator does.
Sponsored