JIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150, MACH E
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
Maybe we can all pretend that the OP left their gym bag well hidden, and someone opened the car door, looked around, then stole their bag. The interesting question here about the Mach e is why does the door open when the vehicle is locked but no key is detected? I have had the exact same thing happen in my garage. I wanted to test PaaK, so I checked to make sure the vehicle was properly locked by pressing the door open button (Ford Pass app was disabled, no PaaK working on it). To my surprise, the door opened and the vehicle began to beep. It may have said something about no key detected on the display, but I can't quite recall. After a few seconds the alarm started going off. My physical fob was in the house and may have been close enough to be detected, but why would there be a "close enough to open the door, but not close enough to disable the alarm" setting?
Do not know about Mach E but my F 150's FOB will auto unlock driver's door and tailgate within 33 feet without pressing unlock on FOB.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I understand that, and it is part of the question that Ford should have to answer. But, even with the cameras we do have, it is highly likely that there would be at least a partial picture of the culprit. Possibly even enough for the police to identify and prosecute.
To your first point, I don’t think Ford will ever explicitly answer it but, I’m sure the answer comes down to the product having to hit a cost target. I’m sure that’s why, for example, we have 8 way seats, not 12 way seats. That’s why there is no rear accent lighting, etc. At the end of the day, there’s some spreadsheet or something that’s used to determine the marginal cost and sales price of different feature sets and they just try to figure out which feature sets customers are going to find most valuable. Of course, I could be totally wrong and they could just role percentile dice for each option ?
To your second point - that would be an interesting experiment - has anyone ever tried turning in the 360 degree view then having a friend approach the vehicle from different angles to see what kind of image you’d get of the person? Note, this would only be valid and useful while the mirrors are unfolded.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
What this discussion highlights to me is how urgently we need remote front trunk open. If the front trunk was more convenient to access, perhaps people might stash stuff in there that they normally toss on the passenger seat. I know I would (I’m thinking things like laptop bags, gym bags, etc.)

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
What this discussion highlights to me is how urgently we need remote front trunk open. If the front trunk was more convenient to access, perhaps people might stash stuff in there that they normally toss on the passenger seat. I know I would (I’m thinking things like laptop bags, gym bags, etc.)
I’m honestly not sure that would make much difference. As things are now, it takes like 3 seconds to unlatch the forward storage area from inside the car (I get that if you are outside the car currently, it is a serious inconvenience), and not many of us use it like we should in situations like you’re describing.

Getting out my phone, launching FordPass, and waiting for a button to work, seems slower than just opening the door, and pulling the latch twice.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I’m honestly not sure that would make much difference. As things are now, it takes like 3 seconds to unlatch the forward storage area from inside the car (I get that if you are outside the car currently, it is a serious inconvenience), and not many of us use it like we should in situations like you’re describing.

Getting out my phone, launching FordPass, and waiting for a button to work, seems slower than just opening the door, and pulling the latch twice.
True. If FordPass supported Siri Shortcuts, you could streamline the process.

Mgmken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE Red
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Is there a way to shorten the distance for the PAAK feature? I think mine is like 20-25 feet. Thats too far for me. Every time I walk by the car on the sidewalk its locking or unlocking, sometimes its beeping to warn me, etc. Its almost to the point where I will need to disable the feature and just use the FOB. Anyway to shorten that distance?

Burnsy8787

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy volt
Country flag
Given that the alarm went off, there was no electronic breach of any kind.

Question for OP - your vehicle has a hatch, with a cloth cover, so no one can see inside that area. Why would you leave a bag visible on a seat?
Lmao he is trying to understand how they gained entry with no visible signs and everyone here is so desperate to say that's not possible that they are victim blaming him for someone stealing his bag.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
True. If FordPass supported Siri Shortcuts, you could streamline the process.
It does. There have been a few posts about how to set them up. @macchiaz-o posted a great tutorial on how to setup Android shortcuts this past weekend.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
My understanding, which could be wrong, is that the doors unlatch/open from the inside via purely mechanical linkage similar to every other car ford has built for mass production in the last 60+ years. This means they didn’t need a hidden emergency release (like brand ”T” does), but it also leaves them vulnerable to “slim Jim“ attack.

If it were me, I would look at the windows near the weatherstripping for scratches. Other than that, I would look closely at the paint between the door and the car body in the areas someone would try to slip a coat hanger in to catch the door latch. I’d also look on the undersides of the door latches inside the car to see if there are ant tool marks on them.

finally, I’d reach out to Ford on twitter and ask why a vehicle with this many cameras can’t use them to record activity around the vehicle while it is parked and locked.
The inside door handles are connected electronically with the emergency override being mechanical by moving the inside handle to full travel. I think it may be possible that someone could clone a key to open the door, but then Ford checks for a second handshake with your phone or key fob, These systems are not infallible though, my 2003 Dodge Caravan rear door has begun opening on it's own. These are the same electronics and software that the auto industry hopes will pilot autonomous taxi services.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
Lmao he is trying to understand how they gained entry with no visible signs and everyone here is so desperate to say that's not possible that they are victim blaming him for someone stealing his bag.
There are still places in USA where you can leave a gym bad in an open car and it will stay put.
Sponsored