Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I assume the max height setting will provide the best comfort, because there will be more travel room for the shocks, right?
No, not the case whatsoever. It’s a twin tube droop style setup. Basically, in simple terms, the insert is short and the travel is long. Only time it’s going to really ride like shit is when it’s fully dumped and riding on the internal bump stops.

You can expect a shorter lifespan if you drive it dumped 100% of the time.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
No, not the case whatsoever. It’s a twin tube droop style setup. Basically, in simple terms, the insert is short and the travel is long. Only time it’s going to really ride like shit is when it’s fully dumped and riding on the internal bump stops.

You can expect a shorter lifespan if you drive it dumped 100% of the time.
So you want it in the middle position so it has room to go up? Sorry, not familiar with coilovers at all.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
So you want it in the middle position so it has room to go up? Sorry, not familiar with coilovers at all.
The particular engineering KW uses for their shocks doesn't require the height to be at any specific mark for "best overall performance". The design allows for nearly identical performance at any height adjustment, excluding bottomed out adjustments on front and rear. You WILL be close to bump stops and feel those impact on hard compression (large dips/bumps in the road).

My Mach-E was adjusted to the current height because we like lowered cars, while maintaining some sort of comfort and performance. I've had it all - cup kits, shitty and premium coilovers, plenty of air ride setups - this is the best experience i've had thus far, just ahead of my custom air ride suspension system ORT helped me put together for my Ford Edge.

I do expect everything to settle over the next week and I'll probably end up lifting it 6mm-12mm (roughly 1/4 - 1/2"). My new wheels are 20x9 +40 with 265/50 tires. Meaty setup that needs a bit of clearance, which could end up forcing me to do the height adjustment anyway.

Sneak peak of new wheels:
Ford Mustang Mach-E KW V3 Coilover Suspension Released for Mach-E DEE865CC-3934-42DD-B22A-F96DEF2F840F

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The particular engineering KW uses for their shocks doesn't require the height to be at any specific mark for "best overall performance". The design allows for nearly identical performance at any height adjustment, excluding bottomed out adjustments on front and rear. You WILL be close to bump stops and feel those impact on hard compression (large dips/bumps in the road).

My Mach-E was adjusted to the current height because we like lowered cars, while maintaining some sort of comfort and performance. I've had it all - cup kits, shitty and premium coilovers, plenty of air ride setups - this is the best experience i've had thus far, just ahead of my custom air ride suspension system ORT helped me put together for my Ford Edge.

I do expect everything to settle over the next week and I'll probably end up lifting it 6mm-12mm (roughly 1/4 - 1/2"). My new wheels are 20x9 +40 with 265/50 tires. Meaty setup that needs a bit of clearance, which could end up forcing me to do the height adjustment anyway.

Nice looking wheels.

OK, another newbie question - what happens when the shocks wear out after 90,000 miles? Do you put in new coilovers, or can you just replace the shocks? I looked and didn't see KW selling shocks by themselves.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Nice looking wheels.

OK, another newbie question - what happens when the shocks wear out after 90,000 miles? Do you put in new coilovers, or can you just replace the shocks? I looked and didn't see KW selling shocks by themselves.
Options:
  • Find a local shop to rebuild
  • Send to KW to rebuild
  • Buy a new set, remove old, rebuild, then resell
It also depends on how you accomplish the installation:
  • Perform your own installation and can leave car on jack or lift while rebuilding is completed
  • Find a shop than can remove, rebuild and reinstall, to minimize downtime.

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E KW V3 Coilover Suspension Released for Mach-E DEE865CC-3934-42DD-B22A-F96DEF2F840F
i thought you were going to wait 1k miles for any tuning? or is it because you have to install the wheels?

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
i thought you were going to wait 1k miles for any tuning? or is it because you have to install the wheels?
Many people (smarter than me) stated 1k isn’t necessary. 300-500 is enough in a warm climate. If you’re in a colder climate, go the full 500.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
@markboris does the Mach-E have factory rear camber and toe adjustment?

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
Many people (smarter than me) stated 1k isn’t necessary. 300-500 is enough in a warm climate. If you’re in a colder climate, go the full 500.
Let us know what you set it to, finally. I am nearing 1k miles and am looking for a tuning shop.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes it does.

Toe
Ford Mustang Mach-E KW V3 Coilover Suspension Released for Mach-E Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 6.05.42 AM
Are the arrows correct for the toe adjustment? The slot looks like it allows up and down movement, not side to side.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are the arrows correct for the toe adjustment? The slot looks like it allows up and down movement, not side to side.
Mike, I didn't include the instructions, just the photos. Instructions for Toe Adjustment:

1. Loosen the toe link nut approximately one full turn.
2. Rotate the toe link bolt to achieve the specified toe setting.
Torque: 66 lb.ft (90 Nm)
NOTE: Make sure that the toe setting is not disturbed while tightening the nut.

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
MedTech Software Engineer.
Country flag
Hey guys. So I have the Steeda front and rear sway bars on hand. Should I wait until I get the KW (part of the group buy) before installing to save time/$? Or just get the sway bars done now? Expecting another 6 weeks until the KWs come in.

Don't know much about suspensions so curious if there's any pros/cons here.
Sponsored