Lighted Pony Project (back it!)

ValentinoRossi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Premium AWD ER (10/21 build)
Country flag
My understanding is the power is coming off the headline harness and the BCM is just the signal. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
That is how the original design worked, but with the zenier diode added it pulls all power from the BCM signal wire. He has us combine the signal and power wire. I'm not sure why he didnt send 2 diodes so you could still pull power from the headlight.
Sponsored

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag
That is how the original design worked, but with the zenier diode added it pulls all power from the BCM signal wire. He has us combine the signal and power wire. I'm not sure why he didnt send 2 diodes so you could still pull power from the headlight.
oh got it. I never got my zener diode so I just wired the original way.

Fun_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium AWD ER MME
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I just received mine in the mail (I was one of the last deliveries because I live north of the border). My plans to install have changed, so I’m going to be selling the pony. Please DM me if you’re interested and we can work something out.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
I want to let everyone know that John's been in contact with me, and it looks as though there may be a delivery issue of my package being lost. I'll let you all know how it turns out, but wanted to make sure to provide an update on my situation.

Jim_In_Mass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Little more follow-up on my lighted-pony installation.
It's finally alive!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Lighted Pony Project (back it!) LightedPony

My first attempt didn't work so well (couldn't get thru the firewall gasket, and I wasn't confident in the splices into the headlight wires), so my son & I closed it all up and I planned on coming back at it another day.

John had used the Posi-tap splices in his video, and they seemed like a better splice mechanism, so I ordered a kit of Posi-taps off of Amazon and figured I'd give it another shot with those.

So, another frunk removal, pulled the headlight plug, removed the provided splices and replaced them with (blue) Posi-taps. I installed them such that the long section pointed down from the headlight (so the wires from the pony are coming up to the headlight wires from below when the plug is in). And before putting the frunk tub back in, brought over the key fob and saw it light up!

This is the "always-on" install for my Premium. During the day, it's hard to notice that the pony is on. The pony light color seems like a good match for the running lights - not as bright (it's not a headlight...) but in the evening/night it stands out nicely. I sat next to the Mach-E for a little bit, it stays on after the car is locked but definitely does turn off in 10-15 minutes.

There was a comment from another poster in this thread about dropping the glovebox to get a better angle at the firewall gasket for the GT-style install, but I'm not convinced the added return will be worth the effort.

And the folks I've shown it to have all been impressed.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Little more follow-up on my lighted-pony installation.
It's finally alive!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Lighted Pony Project (back it!) LightedPony

My first attempt didn't work so well (couldn't get thru the firewall gasket, and I wasn't confident in the splices into the headlight wires), so my son & I closed it all up and I planned on coming back at it another day.

John had used the Posi-tap splices in his video, and they seemed like a better splice mechanism, so I ordered a kit of Posi-taps off of Amazon and figured I'd give it another shot with those.

So, another frunk removal, pulled the headlight plug, removed the provided splices and replaced them with (blue) Posi-taps. I installed them such that the long section pointed down from the headlight (so the wires from the pony are coming up to the headlight wires from below when the plug is in). And before putting the frunk tub back in, brought over the key fob and saw it light up!

This is the "always-on" install for my Premium. During the day, it's hard to notice that the pony is on. The pony light color seems like a good match for the running lights - not as bright (it's not a headlight...) but in the evening/night it stands out nicely. I sat next to the Mach-E for a little bit, it stays on after the car is locked but definitely does turn off in 10-15 minutes.

There was a comment from another poster in this thread about dropping the glovebox to get a better angle at the firewall gasket for the GT-style install, but I'm not convinced the added return will be worth the effort.

And the folks I've shown it to have all been impressed.
Posi-Taps and their sister product Posi-Locks are the way to go.

ValentinoRossi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Premium AWD ER (10/21 build)
Country flag
Posi-Taps and their sister product Posi-Locks are the way to go.
Agreed, I used to be an installer for a living and they are miles better than everything except soldering (which is a pita)

I would go a step further and say I would never use the cheap taps that were sent in the kit in my own car.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After living with my Lighted Pony for a week+, I like the way it looks and the way it works. Very pleased with this project and I compliment SUPARED!

My Lighted Pony is 4000K. Its effect is subtle yet very much noticeable. I wired it into the BCM fuse box, so it only lights up when the headlights are on. I figure this'll extend its LED life.

Driving behind cars, I find it impossible to "see" my Lighted Pony reflected in their bodywork and verify that it is truly on. However, after several checks in plate glass windows, I can positively say the Lighted Pony is indeed "on". Its indirect, edge-diffused light must be too faint to reflect in other cars I am following.

I hope SUPARED now follows with a Kickstarter project for the rear Lighted Pony.

Last edited:

PupSideDown

First Name
Peggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium, ER, RW, Grabber Blue
Occupation
NNP, retired
Country flag
After living with my Lighted Pony for a week+, I like the way it looks and the way it works. Very pleased with this project and I complement SUPARED!

My Lighted Pony is 4000K. Its effect is subtle yet very much noticeable. I wired it into the BCM fuse box, so it only lights up when the headlights are on. I figure this'll extend its LED life.

Driving behind cars, I find it impossible to "see" my Lighted Pony reflected in their bodywork and verify that it is truly on. However, after several checks in plate glass windows, I can positively say the Lighted Pony is indeed "on". Its indirect, edge-diffused light must be too faint to reflect in other cars I am following.

I hope SUPARED now follows with a Kickstarter project for the rear Lighted Pony.
I noticed John just posted a preliminary YouTube update on the lighted rear pony:

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

PupSideDown

First Name
Peggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
NNP, retired
Country flag
Uuuuuu..... Thanks!
Though now I see @AOSK has a lighted rear pony available for pre-order in their Black Friday sale post. I like all the other stuff I've ordered from AOSK, so maybe this is a good option.

https://ev-vida.store/products/mustang-mach-e-rear-pony-emblem-brake-led

Not sure if this is the same as the one John is developing, or something different. The installation video shows the lighted rear pony is smooth, without the horizontal stripes on the original pony. But the pictures in the ad show the lighted rear pony has the vertical stripes. So, unclear.

PupSideDown

First Name
Peggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
NNP, retired
Country flag
Though now I see @AOSK has a lighted rear pony available for pre-order in their Black Friday sale post. I like all the other stuff I've ordered from AOSK, so maybe this is a good option.

Not sure if this is the same as the one John is developing, or something different. The installation video shows the lighted rear pony is smooth, without the horizontal stripes on the original pony. But the pictures in the ad show the lighted rear pony has the vertical stripes. So, unclear.
That last sentence should have been ... the lighted rear pony has the horizontal stripes. Derp.

itzbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Star White Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Not sure if this is the same as the one John is developing, or something different.
The description for V2 says “aka John Kennedy’s version” while this is V1 without the walk up animation.

PupSideDown

First Name
Peggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
NNP, retired
Country flag
The description for V2 says “aka John Kennedy’s version” while this is V1 without the walk up animation.
OK. Thanks. I didn't see there were two versions.

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag

this light up rear pony is EV-Vida's product. its actually not ours. EV-Vida is our official selling partner.
but this product is legit.
Sponsored