Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Could mean I had a defective part and it happened to it three time. Sorry multi post on phone not on a 30ā€ monitor. Few hundred miles away hoping Karma gets me back. šŸ˜‰There is something to be said about being on the bleeding edge of technology sometimes you get cut. Build date 11/26/20 if it helps.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If it is certain usage patterns, then Ford have failed in it is durability testing procedures :(, as while the mach-e maybe fords first ground up EV its not the first one they have made so I can't image what people would be doing that would be any different or unexpected to other EV

Lets hope this is just random chance and very unfortunate for those that have had it happen to multiple times :( and that this doesn't turn into fords equivalent of telling users they are holding the phone wrong in an attempt to divert away from some poor engineering that is a ticking time bomb that will get all owners eventually
Mine was leave it plugged into 240v for a couple of days in -28c weather. This speculation that it is a user problem is just BS to me as a mustang should take a bit of abuse. Maybe donā€™t plug it in when it is cold? Start it and sit in it for an hour every day? Always the ones that do not have the hardware problem that tell others it is their fault that they do.

If it doesnā€™t work under normal design condition that is not a user problem that they can fix. Press the power button it should boot. Will be good to hear something public from ford after over a year. Not sure if all these are even related but ya mine was a user problem me waiting and waiting for it to be fixed. That was my only problem.

WeGotG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
Mach E GT, Build Date: 12/13/21, HVB Warning/Powertrain Malfunction: 4/27/2022, Car sat at dealer for 3 weeks waiting on parts. LK9Z-10C666-A was replaced with same part number. Issue started when I started the car right after DCFC.

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
I've also had the HVBJB and BECM replaced. Oddly I didn't have the "stop safely now" message thankfully. I had high voltage battery and powertrain malfunction display constantly. Vehicle appeared to operate normally, but would not DCFC at all. L2 was fine, but DC never worked. It was like I was tethered to my house.

After replacement, everything works correctly.
Build date June 2021
Select AWD
DCFC never worked for me either and now it's in the shop going on week 3 but only 5 business days since they started looking at it. Before these parts were replaced where they able to get the proper error codes showing these parts at issue? My dealer is claiming a long list of error codes but I thought that was just related to the 12v dying. My build date also was late june 2021.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
While we don't know the general population as far as model vs. problem frequency, the OP created a very nice data set. Thanks. It's pretty clear that this is happening in GT and GT PE at a higher frequency than the population.

This reinforces my concern that Ford installed a part that is not fit for use and will kneecap these cars.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Mine was leave it plugged into 240v for a couple of days in -28c weather. This speculation that it is a user problem is just BS to me as a mustang should take a bit of abuse. Maybe donā€™t plug it in when it is cold? Start it and sit in it for an hour every day? Always the ones that do not have the hardware problem that tell others it is their fault that they do.

If it doesnā€™t work under normal design condition that is not a user problem that they can fix. Press the power button it should boot. Will be good to hear something public from ford after over a year. Not sure if all these are even related but ya mine was a user problem me waiting and waiting for it to be fixed. That was my only problem.
I would have thought that it was better for the car to plug it in during -28c weather instead of leaving it in the cold, it's not like the car would have been pulling 7+kW for the entire time.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
While we don't know the general population as far as model vs. problem frequency, the OP created a very nice data set. Thanks. It's pretty clear that this is happening in GT and GT PE at a higher frequency than the population.

This reinforces my concern that Ford installed a part that is not fit for use and will kneecap these cars.
Recall appears to be for all? I would say the small sample on this forum does not mean much and would believe those with GT's would search out forums like this maybe more than others. Defective contacts and noted that they are not robust enough. Most likely the wording was not presented by Ford but was a requirement. We will see what Ford does but they should now know they can sell as may ev's as they make right now and should not want to change that dynamic by a moral mistake. I do not know about kneecapping we will wait and see. I am seeing the first smooth OTA in our future ;).
I would have thought that it was better for the car to plug it in during -28c weather instead of leaving it in the cold, it's not like the car would have been pulling 7+kW for the entire time.
Yes that is what the car notifies you to do with a message on the dash when you power it off and the temperature is below 0C. I was just being an a$$ as some have pushed the misinformation that it is our fault the contactors are not robust enough and it is failing. Sorry to confuse. It does pull more power than you may think in the cold while plugged in. I have seen it draw for 10 to 12 hours when really cold how much not sure as I have a dumb charger but notable at the end of the month.

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Prem XAWD, 14 f150 3.5 Ecoboost, 22 Edge ST 2.7
Country flag
Bit off on mine (a year) the first time was Feb 2021 same time as chasingcoralā€™s. Thinking he had some hv stuff carried out on his then. Me a fast software fix. Have not heard any more so hoping the hvjb and becm install this April are the fix for me.
Please add me for a second failure. Happened yesterday, 43k miles. Was able to bring it straight to the dealer and get a rental. Just had the recall performed 2 weeks ago, along with glass recalls (finally).

MachEPilot

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E X
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Country flag
When our 2021 Ford Mach-E Premium RWD x-range broke down, they replaced it with this part:
LJ9Z 14E033 B :CONNECTOR - HIGH VOLTAGE $129.64

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
When our 2021 Ford Mach-E Premium RWD x-range broke down, they replaced it with this part:
LJ9Z 14E033 B :CONNECTOR - HIGH VOLTAGE $129.64
That is the rear motor connector on the pack. I can't remember 100% but I think they had to remove your rear cell modules because of an isolation fault and they decided to change the connector at the same time as a precaution. So you may had a different problem than the contactors overheating and that's a different part than the HVBJB.

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That is the rear motor connector on the pack. I can't remember 100% but I think they had to remove your rear cell modules because of an isolation fault and they decided to change the connector at the same time as a precaution. So you had a different problem than the contactors overheating and that's a different part than the HVBJB.
Precaution or they were in there so they decided it was a good time to replace the under designed crap part? Does appear the OP list is quite long based on just a small forum. Mine has now been in three times for a week to fix sticking contactors. The last one April 18, 2022 LJ9Z-10C666-A CONNECTOR

Guess we can randomly times the list by what 10 or 20 to account for the ones that do not come here?

This is a problem and one that may repeat and repeat until it is actually fixed. Does not appear so far that if you have the recall software installed it totally fixes the problem? You can service mode your kids home and then over to the dealers with it installed. Saves towing cost, is safer from what I see but does not appear to solve the problem completely from an owners perspective. Especially since it can happen any time and at any place without warning. It is not quite like setting up an appointment and scheduling when you have time to get it done.

Thinking they need to succeed at this new tech so it should be fixed eventually? Warrantied for a long time but right now it is an inconvenience to some owners, concern for others and not a real good look for Ford. Wonder if the numbers getting stuck contactors will die in time with just the software as it appears it just spots them but does nothing to prevent it except a huge power lose when spotted.

We can not really talk about percentage of defects when it is noted right in the recall to be a hardware design problem and the part is not robust enough. Also noted in the recall report Estimated percentage with defect : 100 % which kind of takes those saying that my GT desires it but no one else does out the the equation for me. Especially when they stick in the cold also.

Make hardware more robust with software with a do not reducing power/performance under normal conditions constraint? Will be interesting to see where it goes. Right now with the lack of keeping our cars software up to date via OTA as promised which has become obvious at this stage and them just using OTA to push a recall that does not fix defective hardware from what I see but does save them a buck I think the whole thing does not look that impressive for Ford at this stage. Are you out there recommending this vehicle to friends? Thinking Ford needs to step up honesty and integrity a bit at this stage.

Rant almost over. Have a dumb car and want it updated with software updates OTA as promised not 15 available and none on the horizon. With this car in for service 7 8 times already and even the software fixes that are available are not installed it is starting to be a complete fail to me. Really cheap to their own determent if you ask me.

MachEPilot

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E X
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Country flag
That is the rear motor connector on the pack. I can't remember 100% but I think they had to remove your rear cell modules because of an isolation fault and they decided to change the connector at the same time as a precaution. So you may had a different problem than the contactors overheating and that's a different part than the HVBJB.
We were driving down the freeway 70MPH under Blue Cruise control.
Pulled off the freeway to charge up (still 120 miles from home).
Pulled into Electrify America, started charging, then got a charge fault,
then realized we were stranded when I attempted to move to the next charger.
Couldn't take it out of park. Had the "Stop safely Now" message,
and some other red icons below. Had it towed to the nearest Ford Dealer.

They replaced a lot of things, including the HV battery:
$362 - LJ9Z 10B694 A :WIRING ASY
$129 - LJ9Z 14E033 B :CONNECTOR - HIGH VOLTAGE
$457 - LJ9Z 10B687 D :CONTROL AND BATTERY - HIGH VOLTAGE
$70 - LJ9Z 10B687 D-C :LJ9Z 10B687 D Core Ch
$7843 - LJ9Z 10D672 Q :ARRAY ASSEMBLY - TRACTION
$1000 - LJ9Z 10D672 Q-C: LJ9Z 10D672 Q - Core Ch
$153 - LJ9Z 14A318 B :WIRE ASY - ACCESSORY FEED
$136 - LJ9Z 14A318 C :WIRE ASY - ACCESSORY FEED
$3 - W711890 S442 :BOLT AND WASHER ASY - HEX
$5 - W717859 S439 :BOLT
$589 - TA 38 B :MATERIAL - BATTERY THERMATA 38

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
We were driving down the freeway 70MPH under Blue Cruise control.
Pulled off the freeway to charge up (still 120 miles from home).
Pulled into Electrify America, started charging, then got a charge fault,
then realized we were stranded when I attempted to move to the next charger.
Couldn't take it out of park. Had the "Stop safely Now" message,
and some other red icons below. Had it towed to the nearest Ford Dealer.

They replaced a lot of things, including the HV battery:
$362 - LJ9Z 10B694 A :WIRING ASY
$129 - LJ9Z 14E033 B :CONNECTOR - HIGH VOLTAGE
$457 - LJ9Z 10B687 D :CONTROL AND BATTERY - HIGH VOLTAGE
$70 - LJ9Z 10B687 D-C :LJ9Z 10B687 D Core Ch
$1000 - LJ9Z 10D672 Q-C: LJ9Z 10D672 Q - Core Ch
$153 - LJ9Z 14A318 B :WIRE ASY - ACCESSORY FEED
$136 - LJ9Z 14A318 C :WIRE ASY - ACCESSORY FEED
$3 - W711890 S442 :BOLT AND WASHER ASY - HEX
$5 - W717859 S439 :BOLT
$589 - TA 38 B :MATERIAL - BATTERY THERMATA 38
Yeah they replaced a cell module, you still have the same HVBJB as before since itā€™s not listed. Probably had a cell go bad.

MachEPilot

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E X
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Country flag
Yeah they replaced a cell module, you still have the same HVBJB as before since itā€™s not listed. Probably had a cell go bad.
Oh? I'm curious what this line item is?

Did they replace the HV CONTACTOR associated with the recall?

I feel left out, I don't see my name on your list.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Oh? I'm curious what this line item is?

Did they replace the HV CONTACTOR associated with the recall?

I feel left out, I don't see my name on your list.
No, they didnā€™t replace your HV contactor because that wasnā€™t the problem. The cell array is part of the battery pack. So they replaced part of your battery that went bad.
Sponsored