camdenlake

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 f350 CCD 7.3, GT500, Gen1 Raptor, 2021 MME R1
Country flag
Ah! I should have noticed your username, my bad!
No worries. I really hope they have a way to fix it. I love this car. Have had so many new dud cars in the last 5yrs this has been perfect till this issue.
Sponsored

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
My heater was good through the -25 to -40 Christmas out here in BC when the 12v was letting me actually drive the car

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Well for a 65,000$ car i expect it to have heat that works. And it never made 15deg for more than a couple min then started to drop and continued to drop. Recirc in -20 or greater causes frost on the windshield fairly quick and does turn it self off. Do you live in an area that gets a real winter??
It’s more of an electric car problem vs how much you paid for it.
Recirc only last a few min but it might be enough to give a small boost every now and then.
The temp where I live has nothing to do with what your car is doing but it was 2C here this morning and I never turned the heat on. I did grow up in Canada though if that helps you somehow.

OP
OP

camdenlake

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My heater was good through the -25 to -40 Christmas out here in BC when the 12v was letting me actually drive the car
Good to hear. So with ambient temps of -25 or more you were able to keep the cabin warm and its did not cool down as you drove?

OP
OP

camdenlake

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s more of an electric car problem vs how much you paid for it.
Recirc only last a few min but it might be enough to give a small boost every now and then.
The temp where I live has nothing to do with what your car is doing but it was 2C here this morning and I never turned the heat on. I did grow up in Canada though if that helps you somehow.
Ford marketed this car heavily with "arctic testing" so it should have heat the works. There are people in similar or colder temps that have good heat so it is something with certain cars. They have also redesigned the system it is said for the 2022 models. Recirc makes a tiny difference but causes frost when its below -15c. Anything close to 2c no issues and car seems good with little heat if any I agree. Massive heat loss when driving is a faulty component or design failure. The data shows this. That was not a long session the temp dropped significantly and kept dropping.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Not sure that would work. There are 4 or so exterior temp sensors. I bet most cannot be gotten to. Plus the pack has one or more inside.
There's 1 exterior temp sensor its under the bumper in the front above the grille shutters you can see it.

The battery pack sensors don't matter for this test. I'm more curious if the logic freaks out when it gets under a certain temp. In your data it shows it is trying not to go below -10ÂşC HVB temp. However I've seen it will allow it to go below that for me at ambient temps above -8ÂşF as you mentioned. That's why I'm wondering if it goes into some freakout mode below that outside air temp.

I'm speculating there's a software bug that was added in after the initial release.

OP
OP

camdenlake

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There's 1 exterior temp sensor its under the bumper in the front above the grille shutters you can see it.

The battery pack sensors don't matter for this test. I'm more curious if the logic freaks out when it gets under a certain temp. In your data it shows it is trying not to go below -10ÂşC HVB temp. However I've seen it will allow it to go below that for me at ambient temps above -8ÂşF as you mentioned. That's why I'm wondering if it goes into some freakout mode below that outside air temp.

I'm speculating there's a software bug that was added in after the initial release.
Scan tool shows 4 or so external or outside temp sensors. Not sure how it handles them. I wish more data was available on these cars.

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good to hear. So with ambient temps of -25 or more you were able to keep the cabin warm and its did not cool down as you drove?
I kept the auto at 22 to 25, seat in auto and steering wheel on
I was never cold or uncomfortable
A few times my feet would cool off and i would take it out of auto and move the air to window and feet as auto concentrates on defrost mode.
I never monitored the actual temp, just my comfort

OP
OP

camdenlake

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My commute is 20-30 min and includes some highway sections
And the cabin stays nice and warm? Does not feel like it cools down as your going? In -25c or lower I dont think i could make 30min or more. 15 or so for this data log i couldn't feel my fingers and nose.

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And the cabin stays nice and warm? Does not feel like it cools down as your going? In -25c or lower I dont think i could make 30min or more. 15 or so for this data log i couldn't feel my fingers and nose.
Absolutely not. definitely a comfortable temp the entire time

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Ford marketed this car heavily with "arctic testing" so it should have heat the works. There are people in similar or colder temps that have good heat so it is something with certain cars. They have also redesigned the system it is said for the 2022 models. Recirc makes a tiny difference but causes frost when its below -15c. Anything close to 2c no issues and car seems good with little heat if any I agree. Massive heat loss when driving is a faulty component or design failure. The data shows this. That was not a long session the temp dropped significantly and kept dropping.
Comfort is all relative though, someone dresses for -30 weather will probably be very comfortable in a car at 0degrees.
You can find similar complaints from other EV brands as well. you’re the first one I’ve seen do this test so it would be interesting to see what other would get. I suspect this is just ford being super careful with their batteries again but it could also be software bug or possibly a bad valve.

OP
OP

camdenlake

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Comfort is all relative though, someone dresses for -30 weather will probably be very comfortable in a car at 0degrees.
You can find similar complaints from other EV brands as well. you’re the first one I’ve seen do this test so it would be interesting to see what other would get. I suspect this is just ford being super careful with their batteries again but it could also be software bug or possibly a bad valve.
Windshield frosting up is more than comfort though as is hands and feet freezing. I wear a winter jacket like always. Does your fan on auto ever settle down? What temp do you usually keep it at when driving?
Sponsored