Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Honestly I just think he's overheating the contactors that are rated for 500 amps. The GTs will pull over 1000 amps.
Where do you get that the contactors are rated for 1/2 of what the car is capable of?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would think that if there were any instances of the situations you mentioned since Ford released their recall fix the NHTSA would look back into the situation. My assumption is there has not been any reported or not enough reported to open another case. I do wish Ford would have just replaced them all but I understand why they chose not to as it would have been a huge financial hit and not all the HVBJB’s, or so it appears, we’re manufactured incorrectly. I still just drive my GT normally and if it ever fails then I will deal with it. That being said I will not drive to Anchorage when it is 30 below as there are areas in Alaska with no cell coverage!
It is understandable they didn't replace the problem part due to greed and the bottom line? It was not manufactured wrong it was undersigned and specified like that in the first place. Ford would have thrown the cost on the manufacturer/supplier if it was something they did wrong. It was Fords mistake and therefore no part for you. Which is understandable? It is not the problems with the car as an EA that was expected it is how the problems get fixed (or ignored and don't) that have turned some off.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
He's right, from my HVBJB teardown I also concluded they are most likely 500A contactors that are pushed to 1000A (which is okay for short period only). The contactors are not fully heat sinked enough to do 500A continuous IMO, the max safe continuous on the HVBJB is about 350A.
Then his comment is incorrect. Most contactors that are rated at 500A continuous are rated for a max of 2k. Therefore, it's not exceeding the amperage rating. It's designed to take over 500A, just not for a continuous time. As for continuous 500A... It's all a guessing game. There's no doubt that Ford designed the part incorrectly. Based on the data I collected most of the failures happened in/and around the 500A mark. As for what they've done to fix this, I have no idea, but I have a feeling that if it wasn't designed to handle 1000A then they would have power limited the car to prevent that from happening instead of replacing it without any software to neuter the vehicle.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Then his comment is incorrect. Most contactors that are rated at 500A continuous are rated for a max of 2k. Therefore, it's not exceeding the amperage rating. It's designed to take over 500A, just not for a continuous time. As for continuous 500A... It's all a guessing game. There's no doubt that Ford designed the part incorrectly. Based on the data I collected most of the failures happened in/and around the 500A mark. As for what they've done to fix this, I have no idea, but I have a feeling that if it wasn't designed to handle 1000A then they would have power limited the car to prevent that from happening instead of replacing it without any software to neuter the vehicle.
Read the charts, the higher the amperage, the shorter the life. The failure and when it actually presents aren't the same thing. Post failure it could take any number of amps before it's realized. The damage is gradual and the actual POF isn't instantaneous.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Read the charts, the higher the amperage, the shorter the life. The failure and when it actually presents aren't the same thing. Post failure it could take any number of amps before it's realized. The damage is gradual and the actual POF isn't instantaneous.
I understand that. This is why we get jail bars. My point is that Ford replaced the contactors with something "new". What they've done, I personally don't know. But if it was purely based on the contactors exceeding 500A then they would have modified the software in the car and neutered it, which they didn't. So, what caused it in the original contactors? I don't think anyone other than a Ford battery systems engineer can answer that question.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I understand that. This is why we get jail bars. My point is that Ford replaced the contactors with something "new". What they've done, I personally don't know. But if it was purely based on the contactors exceeding 500A then they would have modified the software in the car and neutered it, which they didn't. So, what caused it in the original contactors? I don't think anyone other than a Ford battery systems engineer can answer that question.
You are correct that only the Ford engineers probably know for sure. My guess though is there was a bad batch of contactors and by that I mean they barely met their rating. We had 12kV insulators from a major supplier that started failing. They just had a batch that did not meet their manufacturing tolerances. We sent all the ones back in our warehouse but had to deal with the ones that failed in the field as they occurred. Not all of them failed but they did take back all that were in inventory. I could see the contactors working fine but slowing taking damage at their higher momentary ratings until enough damage took place that they failed at their continuous rating level. Just my thoughts on what occurred.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You are correct that only the Ford engineers probably know for sure. My guess though is there was a bad batch of contactors and by that I mean they barely met their rating. We had 12kV insulators from a major supplier that started failing. They just had a batch that did not meet their manufacturing tolerances. We sent all the ones back in our warehouse but had to deal with the ones that failed in the field as they occurred. Not all of them failed but they did take back all that were in inventory. I could see the contactors working fine but slowing taking damage at their higher momentary ratings until enough damage took place that they failed at their continuous rating level. Just my thoughts on what occurred.
Wrong. That is not what the recall says read it again and see what they say for sure. Under designed is right there in black and white. Tolerance and specifications comes from the designers the manufactures just comply.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wrong. That is not what the recall says read it again and see what they say for sure. Under designed is right there in black and white. Tolerance and specifications comes from the designers the manufactures just comply.
The report states design and part to part tolerances. The report also states the damage is caused by DCFC and repeated WOT occurrences and we know that is not accurate as many have failed that were never DCFC’d or driven aggressively. If all the HVBJB were going to fail what benefit is it to Ford to go the software route versus change them all out? I do not drive with any anxiety regarding potential failure but I do wish it would have been a recall or the part and not a software patch.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agreed! I looked at the chart and came back with the same conclusion. I just do not know if they replaced the contactor with something with a slightly higher rating or somehow limited the instantaneous current.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Here's the facts behind the HVBJB failures ... no one knows anything definitively. It's all speculation. I heard right from someone at Ford that the contactors were being "welded" shut/open. That person specifically told me that the contactors became "molten" and it was due to great amounts of heat. This is why, when it originally happened, the contactors would fail at stop. The car would turn off and the "molten" contactors cooled and the vehicle would be bricked. Then here on the forum everyone speculated that it was "pitting" and something that happened over great time. I'm not going to say who's right or wrong, but that's my point. Believe what you want, or none of it.

The NHTSA report from Ford contradicts itself and other reports in many ways. The report reads as if they had a CNN anchor put some lies together just to appease NHTSA and sell it as fact. That's evident in the "OTA" fix (not-fix) that they released.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The report states design and part to part tolerances. The report also states the damage is caused by DCFC and repeated WOT occurrences and we know that is not accurate as many have failed that were never DCFC’d or driven aggressively. If all the HVBJB were going to fail what benefit is it to Ford to go the software route versus change them all out? I do not drive with any anxiety regarding potential failure but I do wish it would have been a recall or the part and not a software patch.
The report states:

Description of the Cause : The design and part-to-part variation of the high voltage battery main contactor is not robust to the heat generated during DC fast charging and multiple wide open pedal events.

I guess after 40 years of design and specifying tolerances it becomes easier to read the engineers F upped.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Here's the facts behind the HVBJB failures ... no one knows anything definitively. It's all speculation. I heard right from someone at Ford that the contactors were being "welded" shut/open. That person specifically told me that the contactors became "molten" and it was due to great amounts of heat. This is why, when it originally happened, the contactors would fail at stop. The car would turn off and the "molten" contactors cooled and the vehicle would be bricked. Then here on the forum everyone speculated that it was "pitting" and something that happened over great time. I'm not going to say who's right or wrong, but that's my point. Believe what you want, or none of it.

The NHTSA report from Ford contradicts itself and other reports in many ways. The report reads as if they had a CNN anchor put some lies together just to appease NHTSA and sell it as fact. That's evident in the "OTA" fix (not-fix) that they released.
Someone has cut open many of the failed units and does in-fact know definitively. Additionally contactors aren't new or novel, they've been used for more than 100 years in industrial automation and control. The weak point will always be the mating surfaces. Tesla had a similar problem early on and resolved it. They still have 400v architectures with up to 1000hp and no issues. Contactor failure isn't new, novel, special, nor unique.

This family of contactors at the high end is rated for 500a. From all of the literature I've read on them they tend to want them to be used closer to 350a. I use contactors of this family for isolation of 500v solar arrays and am very familiar with them.
Sponsored