Locking door with touch lock button

circle11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
Sorry if this has been asked before. I just got my Mach-e about 10 days ago and brand new to this forum. Love it overall but still trying to work through some little hiccups.

When I arrive to my destination, turn off the car and get out, I like to lock the car using the little lock button on the door located right above the door release button. The problem is that lock button never works from the first touch. It works eventually, but I have to push it like 5-10 times for it to work for several seconds. Maybe there is some kind of time delay feature? I don't think the button itself is defective because all the lock buttons on all four doors behave the same. Very annoying! Would love to get it to work with a single push.

BTW, I was shocked to see the numeric touchpad on this car. I should be able to lock the car with that lock button, and it unlocks automatically with door release button given I have the key in my pocket. What exactly is the purpose of the numeric keypad?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
The keypad is for unlocking the door without a key AFAIK. never used it to lock the door. Always relied on auto locking.

OP
OP

circle11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
The keypad is for unlocking the door without a key AFAIK. never used it to lock the door. Always relied on auto locking.
Got it - thx... Anyway, that was just a side question. My real question was about the irresponsive lock button.

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Does your car have all the updates? There are a bunch of customer satisfaction updates the dealership may need to install.

OP
OP

circle11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
Does your car have all the updates? There are a bunch of customer satisfaction updates the dealership may need to install.
Is this something I can check myself or do I need to go to the dealer?

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
I think so people on here have access to check if you give them your vin

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Mine never worked when I got the car either. Then there were updates done as part of a customer satisfaction program (21P22). Now I would say it’s 70% reliable.

Is your car a 21 or 22?

OP
OP

circle11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
Mine never worked when I got the car either. Then there were updates done as part of a customer satisfaction program (21P22). Now I would say it’s 70% reliable.

Is your car a 21 or 22?
It is 2022, brand new. 70% reliable does not sound great but I guess better than what I have today.

So this customer satisfaction program needs to be performed by a dealer?

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Yes. OTA was supposed to work in early 2021, but Ford is having issues and has been directing folks to a dealer for the last 1.5 years to get the various updates. You should request a rental car as they sometimes take a week or so if it crashes.

OP
OP

circle11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
Sounds really horrible but thanks for your advise!

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is 2022, brand new. 70% reliable does not sound great but I guess better than what I have today.

So this customer satisfaction program needs to be performed by a dealer?
Yeah I mean sometimes it’s 100, other times less, I don’t know why.

It is a dealer program, but only for cars built before October of 21. They haven’t released it for any later builds. I would have thought the 22s would have come with it though.

It will eventually come via an OTA update at home, when they start really doing those. Currently the early build 21s are the Guinea pigs on that.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds really horrible but thanks for your advise!
It’s not that bad. I had the update done earlier this year. It took about an hour.

The blue cruise updates have been troublesome, but you already have that.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Just place your finger on that lock icon and hold it there for a second or two. That usually works.
Alternatively, press and hold both the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons on the door pillar.
Or press the lock on the inside of the door before you close it.
Or use the fob lock button
Of set the walk away lock feature (not sure if that is standard on all models but I think it might be...)

OP
OP

circle11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
Just place your finger on that lock icon and hold it there for a second or two. That usually works.
Alternatively, press and hold both the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons on the door pillar.
Or press the lock on the inside of the door before you close it.
Or use the fob lock button
Of set the walk away lock feature (not sure if that is standard on all models but I think it might be...)
Holding finger on the icon does not help, tried that.

Have not tried 7-8 / 9-0 option (will give it a try tomorrow), but all these other ways work fine including walking away. I am just hoping I can find a way to use this touch lock button as it seems most convenient to me. Again, it works too, just after some weird delay or a few tries.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Holding finger on the icon does not help, tried that.

Have not tried 7-8 / 9-0 option (will give it a try tomorrow), but all these other ways work fine including walking away. I am just hoping I can find a way to use this touch lock button as it seems most convenient to me. Again, it works too, just after some weird delay or a few tries.
It was like that for me when I first got my car so I used the 7/8 + 9/0 method for the first month or two. Then the little lock icon just started working better so I defaulted to that option. This was way before any updates started flowing so I don't know what kicked it into gear but it still works so I am not complaining.

There were lots of things that didn't work reliably at first and then got better over time. Bluetooth connection, voice commands, kick to open, departure times, charging schedules, walk away locks, etc. Kinda strange but these cars have some quirks that sometimes end up working themselves out eventually.

Then the next update comes and it's back to square one. Lots of gremlins that eventually wander away and hide or get lost. Software isn't that great on these cars unfortunately. :(
Sponsored