Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Occupation
Sales Director
Country flag
Has anyone else noticed how easily the doors on the Mach E will dent? I’ve already had 6 dents repaired. 2 of them were my fault, barely touched the curved part of the door panel with my wife’s car door and - instant dent. The other dent happened when I was charging my car and the wind blew my door into a metal post that protects the Electrify America charge station. This dent was very large, luckily I have paintless dent removal scheduled. 2 of the other 4 dents were done by my wife and 2 were done in parking lots. I’ve never owned a car that dents so easily.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The doors curve outwards quite a bit.

Tips (commonsense):

Park away from anyone.
In a garage, take steps to prevent dents. If cars are close, then figure out padding. Or, get people to be more careful.
Align carefully at chargers, looking at other options, i.e. backing into a space.

OP
OP
MomentoX

MomentoX

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Occupation
Sales Director
Country flag
Yeah, I take all those precaution. I think the metal is thin, curve on doors doesn’t help.

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
sadly the hood isn't much better. I kid you not, I have a dent from an acorn... yes it was dropped from a tree like 50 feet up, and it was windy as heck. I'm hoping it's a paintless dent removal.

jr4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
This is bad news for us. I've never been able to keep the family from swinging doors too far. I wonder if the curves necessitate thinner metal.

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
Someone whacked my door last week while charging, and didn't notice when moving it later that night far away because of a torrential downpour.

It really ruins the look of the door, anyone have suggestions for PDR in NJ? Right at that curve, and seems thin because it's dented moderately deep... or someone hates EVs.

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is bad news for us. I've never been able to keep the family from swinging doors too far. I wonder if the curves necessitate thinner metal.
I suspect it may be the other way around - the thinner metal probably requires more curves and contours to give it some strength (to prevent things like oil-canning). The metal (not just on the MME) is thin these days though.

All of my door dings come from my own family. Kids get out of her SUV and swing the doors without watching. Can't convince my better 3/4's to park on her 60% of the garage. If I get any closer to the wall on my side I'll need gastric bypass to get in.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I chalk it up as aholes in the parking lot + spaces are getting smaller and smaller. Even a Prius will have difficulty getting into one.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I suspect it may be the other way around - the thinner metal probably requires more curves and contours to give it some strength (to prevent things like oil-canning). The metal (not just on the MME) is thin these days though.

All of my door dings come from my own family. Kids get out of her SUV and swing the doors without watching. Can't convince my better 3/4's to park on her 60% of the garage. If I get any closer to the wall on my side I'll need gastric bypass to get in.
Everyone has to handle their own relationships, but if my family dinged my car, they'd be parking on the driveway.

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
Yep, me too, got my first ding after two months of ownership. The tiny dent on the driver's door had white paint from the other car's passenger door. The white paint wiped right off when I rubbed it with my thumb. Sadness that there's this teeny tiny imperfection, smaller than my pinky, it's so small not planning to PDR it.

Cherlin

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS , Premium EX4, 22' M3 SR+, R1T Order
Occupation
Electric Utilities - Management
Country flag
Weight necessitates thinner metal. EV's are all about efficiency to maximize range because minor things (like wheels) can have such huge impacts. Minimizing body weight maximizes range.

GotMachE

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Totally agree. I hate doors thinner metal and its design. I have stopped looking at dings now.

It sucks that only paintless dent removal technique works coz dent puller doesn't do any good.

SignMD

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GTPE, 2023 BMW iX
Country flag
Has anyone else noticed how easily the doors on the Mach E will dent? I’ve already had 6 dents repaired. 2 of them were my fault, barely touched the curved part of the door panel with my wife’s car door and - instant dent. The other dent happened when I was charging my car and the wind blew my door into a metal post that protects the Electrify America charge station. This dent was very large, luckily I have paintless dent removal scheduled. 2 of the other 4 dents were done by my wife and 2 were done in parking lots. I’ve never owned a car that dents so easily.
This provides some insight https://www.collisionrepairmag.com/...teel-aluminum-boron-and-more-mixed-materials/
Sponsored