Mach-E Driver's Seat Impressions (Non-Driving)

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Don't kid yourself. The "loyalists" would've hated an electric coupe badged as a Mustang also. Maybe a little less than a crossover, but they still would've hated it.
There is no question that the right approach in today's market is to focus on CUV/SUV vehicles as that is what is selling and will guarantee the strongest launch.
You are correct that Ford could've entered the market with an electric Escape, and I assume that's what they were contemplating before they decided that this wouldn't just be a compliance car. Instead they could've gone the other extreme and built a car that appealed to a narrower market and built an electric two-door coupe. Ultimately, I think they were very smart in doing both: a car that has more appeal and excitement than just a compliance-oriented Escape BEV but that still appeals to the broader market.
Sponsored

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Good observations but, in 2019, Ford sold about 72,000 mustangs (all versions combined). Quite a drop from the peak year of >600,000. Do you think they could have sold 50,000 EV fastbacks? Maybe--but, if so, that would probably be an indication that the old ICE Mustang was not really what people wanted so much anymore. But, who knows, maybe they would have been able to sell 72K + 50K.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Something else to consider too is how many potential customers would Ford have lost by making a fastback ev Mustang instead of the Mach-e? I, for one, would have said "Oh that's nice." to news of an EV Mustang (fastback or otherwise) and moved on to looking for a Hyundai Kona ("oddly" not available in Kona Hawaii, but I digress) or Kia Niro or the Model Y.

We'll never know. I guess we just have to suffer with our Mach-e's. ;)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Something else to consider too is how many potential customers would Ford have lost by making a fastback ev Mustang instead of the Mach-e? I, for one, would have said "Oh that's nice." to news of an EV Mustang (fastback or otherwise) and moved on to looking for a Hyundai Kona ("oddly" not available in Kona Hawaii, but I digress) or Kia Niro or the Model Y.

We'll never know. I guess we just have to suffer with our Mach-e's. ;)
I think this gets to the point of it. So many of the "It'S nOt A rEaL MuStAnG!!!11!!!!2!!!!!" types would never buy an EV, fastback or otherwise. Hell, some of them are still complaining about catalytic converters.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I think this gets to the point of it. So many of the "It'S nOt A rEaL MuStAnG!!!11!!!!2!!!!!" types would never buy an EV, fastback or otherwise. Hell, some of them are still complaining about catalytic converters.
I would not have cared if it had just been name mach-e and the mustang dropped, I can understand loyalists not liking brand dilution, after all I think the edge ST and explorer ST are so far removed from what constitutes a ST and only worthy of ST-line status, however as a large portion of mustang loyalist opposed bringing the 2015 mustang from the 19th century to the 20th century by the addition of IRS :( it is hard to take the criticism seriously.

I applaud ford for using the mustang as a reason to spice up the looks even if I an not sold completely on them and that mainly steams from trying to integrate the mustang tri-bar tail lights and pushing the windscreen back as I would have preferred more interior space, seeing as I sit inside the car not the frunk/froot.

I still maintain that ford made one of the best look cars that is perfect to turn in to a BEV years ago with the evos concept that still looks good today, they could have just taken that and given it more conventional opening handleless doors and a liftback.

Daniel M

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mustang Mach E, 2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
I would not have cared if it had just been name mach-e and the mustang dropped, I can understand loyalists not liking brand dilution, after all I think the edge ST and explorer ST are so far removed from what constitutes a ST and only worthy of ST-line status, however as a large portion of mustang loyalist opposed bringing the 2015 mustang from the 19th century to the 20th century by the addition of IRS :( it is hard to take the criticism seriously.

I applaud ford for using the mustang as a reason to spice up the looks even if I an not sold completely on them and that mainly steams from trying to integrate the mustang tri-bar tail lights and pushing the windscreen back as I would have preferred more interior space, seeing as I sit inside the car not the frunk/froot.

I still maintain that ford made one of the best look cars that is perfect to turn in to a BEV years ago with the evos concept that still looks good today, they could have just taken that and given it more conventional opening handleless doors and a liftback.
I remember that concept from years ago. I really liked it! I would have bought one back then for sure, and even to this day with that design.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I remember that concept from years ago. I really liked it! I would have bought one back then for sure, and even to this day with that design.
We might be seeing something of an EVOS evolved design in the MME

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Driver's Seat Impressions (Non-Driving) E778DBF9-3BFE-46A3-A7C1-4515C9753581

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
We might be seeing something of an EVOS evolved design in the MME

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Driver's Seat Impressions (Non-Driving) E778DBF9-3BFE-46A3-A7C1-4515C9753581
Agreed. I can definitely see EVOS DNA in our ponies that are soon to be born.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
To me that looks like what would happen if a Fusion (front) and a Mustang (rear) had a kid car.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Daniel M

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mustang Mach E, 2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
I also see a lot of what the teslas look like now in that evos from 2011. apparently tesla designers got some ideas from it.
Sponsored