Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Funny coming from the guy who cries the same complaints over and over.
Not to get in the middle of y’all’s internet fight, but, don’t you own a $100K Shelby American GT ‘vert? How pleased would you be if it practically couldn’t accelerate at all after 85mph?

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
Hagerty is always awesome. Not a surprising result, the GTPE will never win quarter mile drags as designed.

All of these cars are great. The Genesis is a very tempting car but I've made my choice and I'll love the car.

...now if it would only show up!
Its been marketed as a track car in every single promotional spot and press spot. I have never seen it marketed as a drag racer...ever. . If someone is buying a track car and is upset its a bit weak in the 1/4 mile, that would be a failure of due diligence.

Having said that......c'mon Ford.....ugh...

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Its been marketed as a track car in every single promotional spot and press spot. I have never seen it marketed as a drag racer...ever. . If someone is buying a track car and is upset its a bit weak in the 1/4 mile, that would be a failure of due diligence.

Having said that......c'mon Ford.....ugh...
Well, it really was marketed as both.

Haven’t seen a mention of the GTPE without “0-60 in 3.5” mentioned somewhere.

clsmooths

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT performance & Premium ER RWD
Occupation
Assistant manager
Country flag
Ok ok ok...MME doesn't win in the final. At that speed WHO CARES!! 0-60 is all that matters to me and the MME won that. Yes 5 sec rule sucks Pony tails, but bar none the MME is the best looking EV out there. I have the GTPE and the handling with the MagneRide is outstanding and the rims are so good to look at but so hard to clean 😰🤪😆
C'mon now... look at this beaut!!!
Just seyin

20220702_134018.jpg

20220630_200619.jpg

20220630_200610.jpg

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
Well, it really was marketed as both.

Haven’t seen a mention of the GTPE without “0-60 in 3.5” mentioned somewhere.
I mean if 0-60 is accomplished in a 1/4 mile.....

Acceleration numbers are pretty standard with any car; including VERY slow ones, I wouldn't call that an endorsement for drag racing.. Ford gives these numbers for their ginormous trucks that doesn't make them 1/4 mile autos.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I mean if 0-60 is accomplished in a 1/4 mile.....

Acceleration numbers are pretty standard with any car; including VERY slow ones, I wouldn't call that an endorsement for drag racing.. Ford gives these numbers for their ginormous trucks that doesn't make them 1/4 mile autos.
Fair, but with their ginormous trucks the 0-60 isn’t front and center and the bragging piece of their advertising.

On the GTPE it is.

Either way, if you look at all the advertising, you would have assumed it’s an extremely fast accelerating track monster.

Oh wait….. we did! The most common 1/4 mile speculation was high 11s at 113 or so mph……

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Not to get in the middle of y’all’s internet fight, but, don’t you own a $100K Shelby American GT ‘vert? How pleased would you be if it practically couldn’t accelerate at all after 85mph?
Not pleased at all. But I was well aware of what a Supercharged Coyote can, and can't do prior to buying it. I was also aware of what the GT PE can, and can't do prior to buying it. One thing it certainly CAN do is accelerate briskly after 85 MPH. Maybe there's a difference between some cars and others?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not pleased at all. But I was well aware of what a Supercharged Coyote can, and can't do prior to buying it. I was also aware of what the GT PE can, and can't do prior to buying it. One thing it certainly CAN do is accelerate briskly after 85 MPH. Maybe there's a difference between some cars and others?
And for those of us who ordered in April of 2021……. All we had were those promo videos and track events to go by.

There is no difference. Your GT is just as slow as ours at 85. It’s as a slow or slower as the regular non-GTs at that speed. If paying extra for performance and not getting it doesn’t bother you, that’s your decision.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
And for those of us who ordered in April of 2021……. All we had were those promo videos and track events to go by.

There is no difference. Your GT is just as slow as ours at 85. It’s as a slow or slower as the regular non-GTs at that speed. If paying extra for performance and not getting it doesn’t bother you, that’s your decision.
I ordered mine at the same time. I wasn't forced to agree to buy the car then, were you? By the time it was delivered to the dealer, the performance was known. For those that received their car on the first day or two of customer deliveries- there's an inherent risk when one is an early adopter.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Ok. I get that some people are content with a 0-70 rip and then lift. But, Ford pushed the whole 480/600+ hp/tq numbers pretty hard in its marketing comms. And no one of sane mind could have predicted the pull after 75 would fall off as much as it does. So far I’ve seen no GT numbers via media outlet tests or Dragy owner results that show a GT can accelerate with a plebian 4X after 85mph. And definitely not 0-110mph.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ordered mine at the same time. I wasn't forced to agree to buy the car then, were you? By the time it was delivered to the dealer, the performance was known. For those that received their car on the first day or two of customer deliveries- there's an inherent risk when one is an early adopter.
Just because you know about something doesn’t mean you have to like it.

And your last sentence is basically “buyer beware?” Lol give me a break.

Sure, by October when mine was delivered, we already saw the first horrible 1/4 mile thread.

But at that time? Many were convinced something was wrong with the car, or the driver, or the conditions, or theorized he ran in unbridled extend.

Then when that wasn’t the case, many, myself included, figured Ford would “fix it.” Why would they make the Gt slower than a 4X? Of course they’ll fix it!…….. that hope has since died.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
I know this is a crazy notion, but at this point in time you can get most if not all your money back if you sell the car.

The only true alternative is waiting 2 years for the Shelby upgrade which will likely land between $30k and $40k, and will almost certainly "fix" the issues.

For those who keep hoping that Ford will somehow ride in on a shiny white horse and dump a lot of expensive hardware in your car, there's an old saying that covers it. "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a world this would be."

Of course some of you will just whine and cry and live with something you don't like.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I know this is a crazy notion, but at this point in time you can get most if not all your money back if you sell the car.

The only true alternative is waiting 2 years for the Shelby upgrade which will likely land between $30k and $40k, and will almost certainly "fix" the issues.

For those who keep hoping that Ford will somehow ride in on a shiny white horse and dump a lot of expensive hardware in your car, there's an old saying that covers it. "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a world this would be."

Of course some of you will just whine and cry and live with something you don't like.
You know, I agree with some of your points, but framing people who are unhappy with the 5 second limit as whiners and criers is just a bit much. Consumers of a $70K GT have justification for complaining when their vehicle gets torched by its $55K stablemate to 110mph.

And to your point about a Shelby American GT that has a fix, well, we shall see. But, SA’s track record tells me that if they have a Shelby GT model that is fixed, Ford will have done the engineering and also have it fixed on the regular GTs. And a $100-110K Shelby GT is now in the world of Porsche Taycans and loaded new Macan EVs. I know which one I’d pay $110K for.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
You know, I agree with some of your points, but framing people who are unhappy with the 5 second limit as whiners and criers is just a bit much. Consumers of a $70K GT have justification for complaining when their vehicle gets torched by its $55K stablemate to 110mph.

And to your point about a Shelby American GT that has a fix, well, we shall see. But, SA’s track record tells me that if they have a Shelby GT model that is fixed, Ford will have done the engineering and also have it fixed on the regular GTs. And a $100-110K Shelby GT is now in the world of Porsche Taycans and loaded new Macan EVs. I know which one I’d pay $110K for.
It's one thing to be unhappy. It's another to essentially copy and paste complaints over and over and over when we KNOW there is no fix coming. It comes across as whining and crying.

The Shelby brass meets with Ford monthly. They go over branding strategies, technical details, etc. Some of what they discuss is upgrades Shelby can do that Ford designed and decided not to implement. Whether it is due to schedule or cost, there's a lot of R&D that goes on at Ford that doesn't make it in the final configuration. Shelby can and does take that and run with it. Shelby also does a ton of development and testing in-house. I have no doubt that Vince is going to come up with a great solution to all three problems the GT has- Power, Handling, and Brakes. It's just going to cost a bunch of money that like you pointed out will put it in the territory of likely superior vehicles. Again, it's a great time to sell if one is at all unhappy with a $70k purchase. In a normal world, the resale value would be dismal compared to today's used market.

One thing Ford and Shelby don't do is step on each others' toes. If Shelby is developing a "fix" for the GT, it's very unlikely Ford will do the same. There's also only so much EV engineering talent at Ford. They did the Mach-E and the Lightning, and now those engineers are probably moving on to the next one internally. Ford has committed to a ton of EV models, so they're probably on a sort of rotation within the company to achieve those lofty goals.
Sponsored

Reactions: SWO