Mach-e GTPE loses to everything

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Well, I was a manufacturing engineer tasked with setting up offshore production of our product in China in the late ‘90s-early aughts. If you think Polestar’s arrangement in China differs that much from many U.S. companies I have news for you bro. Shitty licensing deals, subsidiary companies that steal the tech and then make their own identical product and undercut sales prices. Yeah, all of it.
You seem to just want to argue. You said something factually incorrect, and I politely corrected you.

Now you're just digging further trying to say there's no difference between a US company building cars in NA with majority NA parts and a car made in china with 99% chinese parts content with the CCP as the majority shareholder.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
You seem to just want to argue. You said something factually incorrect, and I politely corrected you.

Now you're just digging further trying to say there's no difference between a US company building cars in NA with majority NA parts and a car made in china with 99% chinese parts content with the CCP as the majority shareholder.
Yup. Chinese made cars are still less reliable.

Better than they used to be? Definitely. But still worse.

Chinas “comparative advantage” has always been low price, not high quality.

The data:

US-
https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2021-us-vehicle-dependability-study-vds

China-
https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2021-china-vehicle-dependability-study-vds

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Yup. Chinese made cars are still less reliable.

Better than they used to be? Definitely. But still worse.

Chinas “comparative advantage” has always been low price, not high quality.

The data:

US-
https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2021-us-vehicle-dependability-study-vds

China-
https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2021-china-vehicle-dependability-study-vds
The comparative advantage has been cheap labor, which leads to lower costs for sure. Semantics I suppose.

And I’m not a fan of China at all btw, the opposite in fact. But, their quality in consumer electronics caught up with Japan in the ‘00s. They’ve done an excellent job at the same thing Japan did in the ‘50s after WW2 left them devastated. They’ve taken quality lessons from Western and Japanese companies and applied them to their manufacturing. Anyone who thinks their facilities or automation is inferior hasn’t toured a production facility there I’ll tell you that much.

They’ve been doing the same thing in the automotive sphere for over a decade now. Anyone who thinks the quality of product coming out of the Mach E plant in Cuautitlan, Mexico is vastly superior to that of the Changan Ford plant in Chonqing, China is just fooling themselves. Whatever.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

Well, since I’ve actually participated in offshoring product lines to China, I corrected you. And where did I state there’s no difference between NA and Chinese cars? I never said that.

I think you want to argue. I just commented on the new Polestar 3 specs with a link and you came in with the China shit. Again. Just like in a previous thread I commented in. I get it, you don’t like China, good for you.

Rick65

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
well done video, but this would not have changed my buying decision... looks like each car is tuned to achieve some marketable statement. if you just want the fastest car period, then the Tesla Plaid is your answer... a note that it was not used in this video.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Well, since I’ve actually participated in offshoring product lines to China, I corrected you. And where did I state there’s no difference between NA and Chinese cars? I never said that.

I think you want to argue. I just commented on the new Polestar 3 specs with a link and you came in with the China shit. Again. Just like in a previous thread I commented in. I get it, you don’t like China, good for you.
You gave incorrect info as you have several times, then insult people and act like a child when you're shown to be wrong.

Maybe you should take a break from the internet today.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The comparative advantage has been cheap labor, which leads to lower costs for sure. Semantics I suppose.

And I’m not a fan of China at all btw, the opposite in fact. But, their quality in consumer electronics caught up with Japan in the ‘00s. They’ve done an excellent job at the same thing Japan did in the ‘50s after WW2 left them devastated. They’ve taken quality lessons from Western and Japanese companies and applied them to their manufacturing. Anyone who thinks their facilities or automation is inferior hasn’t toured a production facility there I’ll tell you that much.

They’ve been doing the same thing in the automotive sphere for over a decade now. Anyone who thinks the quality of product coming out of the Mach E plant in Cuautitlan, Mexico is vastly superior to that of the Changan Ford plant in Chonqing, China is just fooling themselves. Whatever.
That’s the thing, they’ve made the gap closer, but they haven’t caught up in quality.

Neither has Mexico.

But yeah, cheap labor.

babyplex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE, 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
Ford doesn't care right now because there is a shortages of cars. Especially EVs for sale. "Short term gains for long term pain." is their motto. They really tarnished their reputation. The MME was their chance to introduce people to the Ford brand. And honestly I think they blew it. Lots of people won't consider another Ford product because of how they handled the recall and to a lesser extent the 5 second limp mode.
That is exactly what I say to my friends.. The MME will be my first and last Ford car.

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
That is exactly what I say to my friends.. The MME will be my first and last Ford car.
Just curious, have you driven any other EV's to compare to the MME, including service/dealer/ota?

babyplex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE, 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
Just curious, have you driven any other EV's to compare to the MME, including service/dealer/ota?
I drive a 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance as well. Both are similar but different machines, although I will say that if the GTPE gets its act together that it may very well be the better of the two. Aside from that, I've test driven the IONIQ 5 (SEL RWD), the BMW iX xDrive50, and the BMW i4 M50 as well. Can't speak about service/dealer or OTAs but can certainly talk about how some of these cars may be better/worse than the MME.

Service & Dealer: Tesla has no dealers. You deal directly with them at Tesla showrooms. Service is done through their service centers (usually located at showrooms as well), which for the most part has been extremely professional and responsive. Service items are tracked via the Tesla app on a real time basis and all communication with the service team is via chat on the app. You'll be given a reminder to turn up for service 1 week and 1 day prior to your appointment. If you cancel your appointment within 24 hours of it happening, you'll need to pay $100. If Tesla cancels your appointment within that 24 hours, they will reimburse you $100. Every service issue is itemized on the app. Items that have been resolved will be remarked on in the app by the service team.

I've only ever been to a Ford dealer's service center once, and that was for the 22S41 update (which I waited 2 months for but never got). The service experience there was decidedly more traditional, with appointments made via the phone rather than through an app. For some reason, their online appointment system did not work as well.. Anyhow, I brought the car down, passed the key to the tech, waited 2 hours for the update, and got the car back with an invoice stating that the update had been applied. There was no chance for me to communicate directly with the service team, although I could request for items to be done via the service manager. Not sure as well if Ford has a similar policy as Tesla when it concerns appointment cancellations but I'll guess that it varies by dealer.

OTA: Tesla updates are snappy, much like how it happens on my iPhone. When I got my Tesla, there was an update released (2022.28.2) that was pushed out to all Model Ys. I chose to install this in a mere 25 minutes during lunch break while dining at Burger King. This distinction is important, as Ford apparently chooses who should receive their updates based off, allegedly, model years/trims. As mentioned, I never once got a request to update my 2022 GTPE with the 22S41 update. 2 months after Ford publicly announced the issues with the junction box, I decided it was just better to drive down to the dealer for the update, rather than to rely on Ford's 'OTA' iniatives.

Last edited:

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
🙄

Really? Ford sure seemed to advertise it as one.

First exclusive that was posted 2 days before ordering began…. Racing at a track.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-gt-first-ride-review-exclusive/

And a year before that? We got teased with this……

First press event? Was at a race track:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-gt-press-event-reviews-incoming.10095/

And you wonder why we would want to take ours to the track?
Have you ever driven a car on track, other than parade laps?

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Yes.

What’s your point?
It doesn't seem like you have a lot of knowledge of what it takes to send a car around a track a bunch of times, fast.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It doesn't seem like you have a lot of knowledge of what it takes to send a car around a track a bunch of times, fast.
Lots of power, good brakes and suspension. (Also the things Ford marketed). The only thing missing is the power. Handling and braking are very impressive given the weight/size.

Quit trying to make this about me. The discussion was about how Ford marketed the car.

But if you ran out of points to make, sure, try ad hominem…..

Last edited:

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Lots of power, good brakes and suspension. (Also the things Ford marketed). The only thing missing is the power. Handling and braking are very impressive given the weight/size.

Quit trying to make this about me. The discussion was about how Ford marketed the car.

But if you ran out of points to make, sure, try ad hominem…..
Funny coming from the guy who cries the same complaints over and over.
Sponsored