ds_GT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Country flag
My GTPE is scheduled for delivery in a few weeks. I have waited more than a year and now that is almost here I notice that Rivian expects to start deliveries of its R1s in January 2022. R1s is significantly larger than Mach-E (as large as a BMW X7) and -surprisingly- faster (0-60 in 3s). The starting price is 70K (vs 66K for GTPE) so the price difference is rather small.
Any reason I should not go with R1s?
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
My GTPE is scheduled for delivery in a few weeks. I have waited more than a year and now that is almost here I notice that Rivian expects to start deliveries of its R1s in January 2022. R1s is significantly larger than Mach-E (as large as a BMW X7) and -surprisingly- faster (0-60 in 3s). The starting price is 70K (vs 66K for GTPE) so the price difference is rather small.
I almost went with waiting on the R1S myself. Itā€™s gorgeous.

i think theyā€™re really different size categories though. Do you want more of an SUV or more of a sports car? Also? Itā€™s a little risky on Rivianā€™s first year of making carsā€¦it may beearly in Fordā€™s EV career too, but theyā€™ve been building cars for a century.

Still, I feel you. That R1S is compelling.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
My first choice was the R1T but once I started optioning it, it put it too far out of my comfort zone on price. Also, I have watched what Tesla had done being the new kid on the block, Iā€™m already taking a risk buying a first run EV from a large automaker. Iā€™m not super comfortable trying a first model run of a brand new company

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Don't hold your breath on the January date. It's going to be a bit longer I think.
Do you have a reservation for the R1S?

Crow979

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT Performance (on order)
Country flag
Iā€™m in a similar boat. Planning on taking delivery of my MMEGTPE in October (hopefully) but I also have reservations for both Hummers and the R1S. With the current chip issue and the tax credit availability, I figure the depreciation will be manageable if I decide to take delivery of one of the trucks/SUV. Iā€™m ready to jump into EVs but I am hedging my bets on which one at this point. The R1S seems quite compelling. Iā€™m also very interested in the Lucid Air but the cost may be more than I want to bite off. Tesla is going to have some serious competition in the next 12-18 months.

OP
OP

ds_GT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Country flag
I almost went with waiting on the R1S myself. Itā€™s gorgeous.

i think theyā€™re really different size categories though. Do you want more of an SUV or more of a sports car? Also? Itā€™s a little risky on Rivianā€™s first year of making carsā€¦it may beearly in Fordā€™s EV career too, but theyā€™ve been building cars for a century.

Still, I feel you. That R1S is compelling.
We are a family of 4 and when we go out with our 2 dogs my Edge feels small.. I believe MME is smaller than an Edge..

OP
OP

ds_GT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Country flag
Don't hold your breath on the January date. It's going to be a bit longer I think.
Do you have a reservation for the R1S?
I have not reserved the R1s; I may have to wait well beyond January..

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have not reserved the R1s; I may have to wait well beyond January..
Yeah.
Might not be a bad idea to get the GT and start enjoying EV driving now. Then you can sell it later when some other choices come along. EVs are likely to hold their value for quite a while. Demand is growing faster than supply so your GT will be valuable even on the used market I think...

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Yeah.
Might not be a bad idea to get the GT and start enjoying EV driving now. Then you can sell it later when some other choices come along. EVs are likely to hold their value for quite a while. Demand is growing faster than supply so your GT will be valuable even on the used market I think...
Yes, you can spend a lot of time waiting for the next great car somebody is planning to build, and ramp up production, and work out bugs, etc.

My Mustang is also due in a few weeks, and I plan to keep it for 3 or 4 years let Ford buy it back (Ford Options plan). Something interesting should be readily available then, without a year or two wait.

I'm not counting on EVs holding a lot of value, though. That seems iffy at best.

mwsno

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Country flag
B
Yeah.
This is my plan. GT now, potentially R1T after first year. Mind you, I'm upgrading from a 07 Mazda3. It's time.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Any reason?

How brave are you with your money?

History is filled with ā€œrevolutionaryā€ car companies that failed miserably.

Other than Tesla, which brand new car company made it in the last 80 years? Heck we could even argue that Tesla hasnā€™t quite ā€œmade itā€ yet.

It could be a huge success or huge flop. Hard to say at this point.

One thing I do knowā€¦ā€¦.. there is a TON of competition in a very small niche market right now ($70-100k performance BEVs).

Itā€™s like every car manufacturer had the same idea at the same time. That usually doesnā€™t end well.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
The Rivian is huge. Too huge for me, even though I really like almost everything about it. Just unnecessary big for most tasks

Wayneold

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
I have a MME but I reserved a R1S in 2020 and will hopefully be switching the wife to that. She does like the size of the MME. Rivian price has gone way up unless you reserved before March.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag

No. They (R1s) are freaking amazing. The only reason would be lack of service infrastructure.
Sponsored