Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I think the MME only has about 5 inches of ground clearance, which is very similar to the M3. In EVs most of the weight is down low due to the battery, so I'm going to guess that the center of gravity for both vehicle is relatively low. I think the differences in feel is due to the weight difference. The MME weights at least 600# more than the M3.
I can't fit 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 medium to large dogs in a Model 3. I can in my MME. (yes, I probably could in a Model Y, but the price disparity isn't as big there, and I still like my MME far better than I would a Y.)
Sponsored

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I can't fit 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 medium to large dogs in a Model 3. I can in my MME. (yes, I probably could in a Model Y, but the price disparity isn't as big there, and I still like my MME far better than I would a Y.)
just wait till the new year, MME is losing the 7.5 tax rebate, whereas the MY is likely to keep it.
I'm just glad there are options, only wish there are more to EVs to chose from.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
were you able to activate it? Or did it activate automatically when you installed it?
After installing it you go into the service menu by holding down on the model until it flashes within the software tab. Then you enter the word "service" when prompted. You then go to low voltage. There's an option to enable homelink there. You follow the instructions and it reboots the car and it works. It was super easy.

Because it was in a previous car you just have to clear the existing garages which is done in the homelink menu at the very bottom.

If you want to do it yourself look up the YouTube videos on it or DM me. I'd be more than happy to walk you through it.

Last edited:

electric-in-the-desert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 GT
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
good write up and matches most of my assumptions with M3P and Rivian. My biggest gripe with Tesla is the lack of USS and radar. I just donā€™t like the vision only approach, though the tech is incredible. I also donā€™t like the lack of collaborative steering during highway assist.

Iā€™m on BC1.2 which has been very good with a significant amount of highway driving and roadtrips over the last year.

R1T was out of our budget for this car but Iā€™m excited about the prospect of a slightly smaller Rivian.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Ford ā€“ Sitting in the finance office while the dot-matrix printer finishes on page 10 of the vehicle contract.
Come on, Todd. My ford store had a laserjet printer.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Iā€™m just commenting on the financing portion of the original post. I think that depends on the dealership. Including my test drive and swapping out the rear wiper blade and floor mats I was in and out in an hour. The finance guy hadnā€™t done an Options contract before so it took them 15 or so minutes to figure that out. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

The rest? Yeah, each vehicle has its advantages. I like the Rivian but canā€™t afford one. I donā€™t like the Tesla for a few reasons. Not saying either is bad. Just that one is out of my price range and the other is not my cup of tea. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
Amazing write up Todd. Especially the closing paragraph is something I agree with very deeply. I love Ford and what it stands for, and I think someone looking at my post history might think I have a bone to pick with them. In reality, theyā€™ve treated me well throughout my past 4 or so vehicles, and I think they generally try to do right by the customer (just refer back to the rebate program in January where they refunded me for a price reduction that happened after I already bought the car). At least as much as any corporation can be expected to.

But boy is it frustrating to hear the excuses and apologies from the fanboy(s) and the handwringing from the insiders about solutions and recommendations that are absolute no-brainers and echoed widely on this forum. Part of the reason I think Tesla is so far ahead is their employees are refugees of all the most competent engineers in the auto industry. Tired of being told ā€œwe canā€™t do 48V, this is how its always been doneā€ and ā€œthe LVB charging strategy was decided by a big wig 5 years ago, I canā€™t tell them to change it nowā€ and ā€œthe necessary HVBJB will cost $5 more in copper per unit and $10 in higher quality contactors so letā€™s put in what we have and deal with it after the customerā€˜s car breaks downā€ and ā€œyes customers paid $7k for the performance package on top of the GT, but our warranty costs might be a bit higher with all that power, so just limit their fun to 5 secondsā€ and ā€œgrab whatever the supplier can give us, its too much effort to make it ourselvesā€ and ā€œthe customer probably would never understand charging information or what a kilowatt is, so just donā€™t show them anythingā€ and on and on and on.

How long will it take for Ford and the other legacy OEMs (most of which are in way worse positions!) to wake up and realize that Teslas are the best selling cars in the *entire world*, the time for excuses is *over*. The panel gaps are closing, and Ford and Teslaā€™s technology gaps are absolutely widening. I think it will take even more humility and getting knocked over the head repeatedly but for their sake I hope they figure it out soon and start doing what needs to be done, even when its hard.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
My feathers arenā€™t ruffled here, Todd. I feel like you are being fair. Iā€™ve never been in a Rivian, so I canā€™t compare there. Iā€™m glad you like what you have. As for me, I test drove the M3P, I didnā€™t like the way it handled, and it might be quick, but I donā€™t know, it seemedā€¦boring. Also, the interior was too cramped for my taste. Finally, I understand that Elon is not Tesla, and Tesla is not Elon, but I donā€™t want to give him a single one of my cents if I can avoid it. And I will try to avoid that as long as I can.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
I bought 4 vehicles last year, 3 fords, 1 GM. 3 of them were delivered to me and the one I picked up they stalled me for 20 minutes because of the size of the check. The fords took less than 10 minutes to shake hands, inspect vehicle, sign receipt acknowledgement, and send them on their way.

Under no circumstances sit at a dealer.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Personally, I think it's fair to compare the M3P to the GTPE. They are both advertised as a performance vehicle. The weight difference between the two is really at the fault of Ford. The Tesla can get 315 EPA miles from a 75kw battery whereas the GTPE can only get 260 EPA miles from a 91kw battery. It's a difference of 1000 pounds between the two and the battery is going to be a good chunk of that. It's also apparent that the skin of the Tesla is a lot thinner. Even if you wanted to go SUV to SUV the MYP is still 500lbs lighter. I don't consider the MachE to be a SUV at all. Just because it's classified as one doesn't really make it so in my book.
I have a 2021 GTPE and 2023 model Y AWD long range. They both are fun to drive and no complaints. The decrease in power is the only con. The tesla power is awesome for a NP ev and at 4.8 to 60 pretty quick. For $2000 you can order a power boost that get it to 4.2. We keep vehicles for decades and still have a 06 Jeep Commander 7 seater with only 50000 miles. The ride height at 8.8 inches vs 5.5 and 6.5. My son in laws Ram2500 392 is lifted and you can see 8 cars ahead. Turning radius is really bad. But its seems a very safe vehicle to see so far ahead. Tesla performance is awesome and tech ditto. The insurance was very high $1050 yr vs GTPE at $650. I could imagine the performance models are really high. We drove the performance Y on a test drive and its as fast as the GTPE up to 80 then its gone.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Iā€™m just commenting on the financing portion of the original post. I think that depends on the dealership. Including my test drive and swapping out the rear wiper blade and floor mats I was in and out in an hour. The finance guy hadnā€™t done an Options contract before so it took them 15 or so minutes to figure that out. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

The rest? Yeah, each vehicle has its advantages. I like the Rivian but canā€™t afford one. I donā€™t like the Tesla for a few reasons. Not saying either is bad. Just that one is out of my price range and the other is not my cup of tea. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©
My financing with Ford was a disaster. I gave up and got my own loan.

I agree with your take on the other cars - almost. I think the Rivian is too expensive AND itā€™s goofy looking. The Tesla is also not my cup of tea (I can barely tell any of them apart.)

Iā€™m a little disappointed that nearly 3 years into this adventure, there's really nothing else out there that grabs me at the right price point and range point. Fortunately, I still like my MME, but still keeping my eye out for the next fun car.

brownsl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
I appreciate the review! At one time I was very interested in getting a MME. But while waiting for the prices to become more reasonable, my excitement for it has worn off. I do not qualify for the tax credit. I have almost zero interest in a Tesla. I really like the Rivian but too expensive for me and I worry what would happen if they fail as a company and I am stuck with a vehicle that I could not get serviced.

Unless something happens with the pricing of the MME I think I am going to wait to see the Honda Prologue and Acura ZDX. I really like the looks of both of them.

Shaggyrn

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2012 Ford Fusion, 2007 Exp. Sport Tr
Country flag
Thank you for the write up. Having 2/3 electric vehicles is not in my budget. I do like the Mach e and find it interesting people are so critical of of it. I also find it interesting how some peoples budgets are different for cars. A car for me is a major purchase. I can not recall ever having two cars within 2 model years of each other.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
I agree with your take on the other cars - almost. I think the Rivian is too expensive AND itā€™s goofy looking. The Tesla is also not my cup of tea (I can barely tell any of them apart.)

Iā€™m a little disappointed that nearly 3 years into this adventure, there's really nothing else out there that grabs me at the right price point and range point. Fortunately, I still like my MME, but still keeping my eye out for the next fun car.
I think we agree on both of these. Iā€™m not a fan of the Rivianā€™s front end. Iā€™m also not seeing another car out there yet that I can afford, has the range I want, is at a reasonable price point, and I consider attractive cosmetically. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

danielcb

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 2022 ER AWD
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
To the OP @DevSecOps

How do you feel without being able to use Apple Car Play or Android Auto? Neither Tesla nor Rivian offer it (Rivian said they would but now it seems they retracted that). Does it make much a difference for you?

Personally, I agree with you in basically all what you said.

I had the possibility to drive both Tesla and a Rivian R1T, besides my own MME and while I know that Tesla is the benchmark right now and the best technology from motors to infotainment system, I just can't like it at all. The Rivian R1T on the contrary is amazing, but I think they still need to fulfill lots of potential in their infotainment system and self-driving capabilities, however the car and the company is amazing and I'm really hopefull they flourish.

MME is not great indead, but there are a few things they do it right:
  • OTA that does not require you do look for a WiFI network nearby or create a WiFI hotspot from you phone to update the car, like Tesla needs.
  • They do offer Apple Car Play and Android Auto, which is really important for me in a car
  • Their BC Hands-Free driving is really helpful (I really don't mind the monitoring and if the car is nagging at you, then you are doing something you really shouldn't...). I would rather put more faith into BC than in Tesla's FSD software where people are still beta-testers for Tesla.
In the future, I'm looking forward to trade my MME for a Dual-Motor R1T. It will have plenty of power and I'm not anticipating doing any rock climbing with my car :D
Sponsored