Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Here's an option for Mach-E's in California...the Cal DMV is trying out the option of letting us put front license plate DECALS on, instead of mounting a front metal plate. It went on easily, but TAKE YOUR TIME INSTALLING IT! It's best to be careful and follow the directions. I attached mine with bits of gaffer (duct) tape initially, because I didn't have masking or scotch tape handy. Stick it on, and then step back and confirm that the decal is level.

I trimmed 1/2 inch off the top and bottom of the plate, to get it to fit under the pony logo. I just used a mat knife and a ruler for the straight cuts, and then rounded the corners with scissors. Use a series of light strokes to cut the edges...trying to do the cuts in one pass can cause the decal to buckle slightly (I discovered), sending the mat knife off course.

Peel the backing paper off at a top corner, and then sloooowly push down on the decal, squeezing the air out. Get the top stuck down, and then slowly pull the paper off, top-to-bottom, while pressing down on the decal with your thumb.

The final result is amazing...it looks like you airbrushed your license on. Interestingly, in the shade the Cal yellow letters are a very close match to Cyber Orange. I'll take a full-sun pix tomorrow.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GTPE owner installs new California "Decal Plate" 20211201_154030

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GTPE owner installs new California "Decal Plate" 20211201_155153

Cost was $85 plus shipping. The decal house sends a notice to the DMV, who then sends you a printed authorization notice, so you can show it to any CHP or Sheriff as proof of legality. You must carry the original front metal plate somewhere in your car, to show to whomever. You can find out about this program on the Cal DMV site, or go to licenseplatewrap.com

Last edited:

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Looks much better than mounting the metal plate. Where did you order this one?
Also do you have any idea how difficult it is to remove?

OP
OP
RetiredDP

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
licenseplatewrap.com

licenseplatewrap.com is the easiest...I got to the site through a link on the DMV site. I imagine a blow-dryer would loosen it up, but I don't currently know. You could ask at the site.

FUNgineer

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2018 F150 Lariat FX4, 2021 X5 45e
Occupation
Nerd, Dungeon Master
Country flag
From the wrap site:

"Heat LPW longer till adhesive is warm using a heat gun or hairdryer then slowly peel it off. If there is a little adhesive still on bumper use WD-40 to remove it."

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
Here's an option for Mach-E's in California...the Cal DMV is trying out the option of letting us put front license plate DECALS on, instead of mounting a front metal plate. It went on easily, but TAKE YOUR TIME INSTALLING IT! It's best to be careful and follow the directions. I attached mine with bits of gaffer (duct) tape initially, because I didn't have masking or scotch tape handy. Stick it on, and then step back and confirm that the decal is level.

I trimmed 1/2 inch off the top and bottom of the plate, to get it to fit under the pony logo. I just used a mat knife and a ruler for the straight cuts, and then rounded the corners with scissors. Use a series of light strokes to cut the edges...trying to do the cuts in one pass can cause the decal to buckle slightly (I discovered), sending the mat knife off course.

Peel the backing paper off at a top corner, and then sloooowly push down on the decal, squeezing the air out. Get the top stuck down, and then slowly pull the paper off, top-to-bottom, while pressing down on the decal with your thumb.

The final result is amazing...it looks like you airbrushed your license on. Interestingly, in the shade the Cal yellow letters are a very close match to Cyber Orange. I'll take a full-sun pix tomorrow.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GTPE owner installs new California "Decal Plate" 20211201_155153

Cost was $85 plus shipping. The decal house sends a notice to the DMV, who then sends you a printed authorization notice, so you can show it to any CHP or Sheriff as proof of legality. You must carry the original front metal plate somewhere in your car, to show to whomever. You can find out about this program on the Cal DMV site, or go to licenseplatewrap.com
This looks great! Did you have PPF over the front Mustang logo area before you put the wrap plate on? (related question: is it recommended to wrap that area in PPF?)

My MME fortunately didn't come with the front plate installed, so I am definitely looking at this as an option.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I am still waiting for my plates to come in from the DMV so that I can get the plates assigned to my car so that I can order my license plate wrap. ??

OP
OP
RetiredDP

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
This looks great! Did you have PPF over the front Mustang logo area before you put the wrap plate on? (related question: is it recommended to wrap that area in PPF?)

My MME fortunately didn't come with the front plate installed, so I am definitely looking at this as an option.
Yes, I PPF'd the front first. The wrapped plates are a 3-year trial by the state, so if it isn't renewed, putting the plate on OVER the PPF makes the most sense.

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Works exceptionally well since it matches body color too!

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I've just installed the LPW on our Tesla last week and was wondering about it for the Mach e I've got on order. Thanks for the thread.

It also takes a while here in CA to get custom plates so getting the ppf done first is the way to go. We've been doing that on our cars since 2016 with great success at eliminating rock chips (with one exception on our Volt that actually tore the ppf).

I asked LPW if they had any pics of the LPW on a Mach e (before seeing this thread) and they sent me these pics.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GTPE owner installs new California "Decal Plate" image2
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GTPE owner installs new California "Decal Plate" image2
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GTPE owner installs new California "Decal Plate" image0

Last edited:
OP
OP
RetiredDP

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
I am still waiting for my plates to come in from the DMV so that I can get the plates assigned to my car so that I can order my license plate wrap. ??
I ordered my plates way before the car was delivered, assigned to my wife's car. Once my car was delivered, and I had received the state-issue plates, we swapped plates through the DMV.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I ordered my plates way before the car was delivered, assigned to my wife's car. Once my car was delivered, and I had received the state-issue plates, we swapped plates through the DMV.
Huh, the wrap people told me I couldn’t assign the wrap to my car without the plates already in my possession and assigned to my MME. ?‍♂?

I ordered my vanity plates when I ordered my car (assigned to my old car). Got the plates a couple of weeks ago. I then went to DMV to assign the vanity plates to my MME and then ordered my front plate wrap. Got an email from the wrap people yesterday that they mailed my wrap. ??

OP
OP
RetiredDP

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
Huh, the wrap people told me I couldn’t assign the wrap to my car without the plates already in my possession and assigned to my MME. ?‍♂?

I ordered my vanity plates when I ordered my car (assigned to my old car). Got the plates a couple of weeks ago. I then went to DMV to assign the vanity plates to my MME and then ordered my front plate wrap. Got an email from the wrap people yesterday that they mailed my wrap. ??
I didn't say I got the wrap plate ahead of time, I said I got the personal plate (metal). I didn't order the wrap plate until I got my registration card for my MME.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My front license plate wrap came in the mail today. I just finished cleaning up my stuff after installing it. ???

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GTPE owner installs new California "Decal Plate" 546EC349-B6B3-4BFD-B9AC-CA274F0FE428

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GTPE owner installs new California "Decal Plate" D42810DF-3225-44AB-8D87-416F2A56B837

Definitely needed the heat gun on low to make it conform. ???

babgvant

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
That looks awesome! Contemplating removing my front bracket, but worried about what's underneath and getting a ticket :).
Sponsored