shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Try to image a clock that only had 10 hours, or a calendar that only had 10 months.
Don't have to imagine. The French tried it about 200 years ago. It was an unmitigated disaster.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Don't have to imagine. The French tried it about 200 years ago. It was an unmitigated disaster.
Yeah, well, in their defense, as I recall, that was around the time, they were distracted with their frenzy of beheadings.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Yeah, well, in their defense, as I recall, that was around the time, they were distracted with their frenzy of beheadings.
Yet as busy as they were with beheadings (and also wars and famine), they found the time and energy to screw with clock and calendar.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It’s too much in my opinion. Before I got my Premium Mach-E I always wondered what those types of headlights were that seemed to be high beams-lite that blinded people on dark or semi-dark roads, now I know. It’s a projector LED.

It’s great for the driver but no so great for other drivers and pedestrians.

And like you said, the actual high beams on these projector LEDs are like the sun came back up. People were sort of unhappy that the Mach-E didn’t have the matrix projector LEDs where the high beams would stay on near other cars but the car would supposedly figure out how to adjust the lamp to not point it to other drivers (good luck to other drivers with that system not getting it wrong much of the time).

My area has semi-dark and dark streets, and the roads are pretty twisty. My honest belief over the years is that I have had a greater number of closer calls with other drivers where their high beams or projector LEDs have momentarily blinded me then me not seeing a pedestrian off to the side of a road on a dark stretch.
The New York Times ran a story today about how lots of people believe headlights are increasingly becoming too bright:

Blinded by Brighter Headlights? It’s Not Your Imagination.
The rising use of light-emitting diodes and the popularity of pickups and S.U.V.s have prompted complaints about the glare and intensity of headlights.

Many people on here will be pleased with what the final paragraph says:

“The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it was working to finalize rules allowing the use of adaptive driving beam technology in the United States, though it was unclear how long that might take.”

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It’s too much in my opinion. Before I got my Premium Mach-E I always wondered what those types of headlights were that seemed to be high beams-lite that blinded people on dark or semi-dark roads, now I know. It’s a projector LED.

It’s great for the driver but no so great for other drivers and pedestrians.

And like you said, the actual high beams on these projector LEDs are like the sun came back up. People were sort of unhappy that the Mach-E didn’t have the matrix projector LEDs where the high beams would stay on near other cars but the car would supposedly figure out how to adjust the lamp to not point it to other drivers (good luck to other drivers with that system not getting it wrong much of the time).

My area has semi-dark and dark streets, and the roads are pretty twisty. My honest belief over the years is that I have had a greater number of closer calls with other drivers where their high beams or projector LEDs have momentarily blinded me then me not seeing a pedestrian off to the side of a road on a dark stretch.
I would encourage you to have someone drive your Mach-E toward you while you are in another car. You are likely to find that the upper limit cut-off for the light projection prevents it from being a problem for oncoming vehicles. In the four months I have had my Premium Mach-E, I have not once had an oncoming car flash its lights at me and when I have ridden in front of it on the road or have passed it in the opposite direction in another vehicle (yes, I did this to test the lights), I have never felt the lights were a problem. Rather, I feel the lights are very good as a driver.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I would encourage you to have someone drive your Mach-E toward you while you are in another car. You are likely to find that the upper limit cut-off for the light projection prevents it from being a problem for oncoming vehicles. In the four months I have had my Premium Mach-E, I have not once had an oncoming car flash its lights at me and when I have ridden in front of it on the road or have passed it in the opposite direction in another vehicle (yes, I did this to test the lights), I have never felt the lights were a problem. Rather, I feel the lights are very good as a driver.
I agree, it’s not so much of an issue with the Mach-E because it is not a very high car, though on slopes I do feel the drivers driving uphill towards me might be getting quite a bit of light.

I was ranting more about this specific type of headlight, it is more problematic on something like a lifted truck where it hits you right at eye level in a sedan (or when you’re in something like a Mustang coupe).

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I would encourage you to have someone drive your Mach-E toward you while you are in another car.
That’s a good idea for informational purposes. I probably won’t bother though as there’s literally nothing I can do about my Mach-e headlights. They are what they are.

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
I have had my premium ex awd since March, but with Covid and all, have only driven at night a couple times. Did a longer night drive last night: 40 mins, mix of backroads and highway, rural and suburbs.

I was really impressed with the auto high beam function. It acted exactly as I would have if controlling them myself. Never had that feature before. Really nice.

dano

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME
Occupation
Communications Engineer
Country flag
Has anyone noticed their auto high beams "brighting" people more often lately?

Until recently, I shared 06VistaGT's impression that the MME's auto high beam feature functions exactly as I would. However, the last few times I've driven at night, the car now seems to not notice other cars (particularly in front of me) and occasionally bright them as I'm following. Tonight it did it with an oncoming car when I was maybe 200-300 feet away.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Has anyone noticed their auto high beams "brighting" people more often lately?
I have not noted them staying bright too much. I would complain the opposite. Seems lights at the end of someone’s driveway, or even larger reflectors on mailboxes, will cause my car to dim the headlights. I head to work at 5:30 AM on country roads. Seeing another car is quite rare. But my headlights are constantly auto brightening and auto dimming.
Sponsored