Jlaw276

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E SE
Country flag
In the next couple weeks I will be going live with a MME standard as my take home patrol vehicle. This is our departments first electric vehicle and I’m the lucky one to run it through the mill. I have questions going in that maybe you all can shed some light on. BTW this is going to be my first experience with an EV.

I’m located in southern Indiana. I’m a patrol commander working morning shift. I work 8 hour days. I drive on average 50-70 miles a day. Roughly 15,000 mike a year. Since I’m working from the vehicle I will have lots of idle time. On board equipment includes emergency lights(led), Radio, laptop, printer, Internet hotspot. So my biggest question is HVAC while sitting stationary will the vehicle stay comfortable and also the affects on the battery life. Along with the electronics affect on battery life.

I will be charging at home with a Juicebox 40 and at work with couple different options. Probable a similar level two most of the time.

Let me know your thoughts on these matters and any questions.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Police Cars CBEC3E06-1162-4803-9296-1294DB1BEA18
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
In the next couple weeks I will be going live with a MME standard as my take home patrol vehicle. This is our departments first electric vehicle and I’m the lucky one to run it through the mill. I have questions going in that maybe you all can shed some light on. BTW this is going to be my first experience with an EV.

I’m located in southern Indiana. I’m a patrol commander working morning shift. I work 8 hour days. I drive on average 50-70 miles a day. Roughly 15,000 mike a year. Since I’m working from the vehicle I will have lots of idle time. On board equipment includes emergency lights(led), Radio, laptop, printer, Internet hotspot. So my biggest question is HVAC while sitting stationary will the vehicle stay comfortable and also the affects on the battery life. Along with the electronics affect on battery life.

I will be charging at home with a Juicebox 40 and at work with couple different options. Probable a similar level two most of the time.

let me know your thoughts on these matters and any questions
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Police Cars CBEC3E06-1162-4803-9296-1294DB1BEA18
Congratulations! They are trying out a couple of these here in Montgomery County Maryland as well:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Police Cars 4BAE306A-387E-4D27-8DE4-E8752D797722

The HVAC keeps the car pretty comfortable but I guess you may not have the heated seats and wheel. HVAC battery drain isn't too bad but it will be interesting to see how bad it is when combined with all of your electronic gear. Keep us informed. This sounds like a great test.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There's no reason it won't be comfortable for you when sitting idle, and it should be able to drive all of the electronics without an issue either. In winter the electric heating element will draw more power than you would expect it to, but assuming it has them you can also use the seat and steering wheel heater to and turn the cabin temp down a little bit. As long as you don't charge it over 90% daily and don't let it go below 15% or so the battery should be just fine charging nightly off of the juicebox.

ahg

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Congratulations! They are trying out a couple of these here in Montgomery County Maryland as well:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Police Cars 4BAE306A-387E-4D27-8DE4-E8752D797722

The HVAC keeps the car pretty comfortable but I guess you may not have the heated seats and wheel. HVAC battery drain isn't too bad but it will be interesting to see how bad it is when combined with all of your electronic gear. Keep us informed. This sounds like a great test.
Presumably the electronics are inside the car so any electricity they draw ends up as heat that will not be needed from the HVAC. In other words you don't need to add the electronics draw to the HVAC. Of course this is only for stuff inside the car, not the outside lights.

ahg

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
That looks cool. I wish I could decorate my car like that ?
In my experience A/C works great, you can probably run it for a couple of days non-stop before depleting the extended range battery.
I have sat with the A/C on in the summer. I would estimate it uses about 1% of the battery for each hour.

Reactions: ARK

Stangracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus IS350C Mach E GTPE
Country flag
You're kind of in uncharted waters leaving the HVAC and electronics on all day but with 50 to 70 miles of driving on a car with a 270 mile range my semi-educated guess is you'll be fine. People have posted energy useage stats on road trips and consumption for heat and air is pretty low percentage wise.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Interesting.. Michigan PD gave the MME a huge fail grade for the usability of an MME as a patrol car.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You're kind of in uncharted waters leaving the HVAC and electronics on all day but with 50 to 70 miles of driving on a car with a 270 mile range my semi-educated guess is you'll be fine. People have posted energy useage stats on road trips and consumption for heat and air is pretty low percentage wise.
He said it was a Select (which matches the wheels), so the EPA rated range is either 211 or 230 miles. He'll be fine.

EDIT: zooming in on the badge it looks like a RWD, so 230 EPA miles. plenty of range even in cold weather.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Police Cars Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 11.49.30 PM

Last edited:

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
??

Ford Mustang Mach-E passes Michigan State Police test as 1st all-electric pursuit vehicle

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...h-e-michigan-state-police-testing/5840913001/
This.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43453/turns-out-the-ford-mustang-mach-e-doesnt-make-a-great-police-car

I mean it's not a performance oriented EV not a comfortable cruiser IMO.

"Performance wasn't its only issue, either, as the Mach-E was ranked as the least comfortable and usable in several areas. Its steering wheel and adjustability, mirror controls, door locks, window switches, and stability control access were all dinged, as were dashboard and trunk accessibility. It was ranked as the least comfortable vehicle overall and had the poorest visibility, both likely due in part to the Mach-E's coupe-like roof."

"The Mach-E's poor performance appears to stem mainly from a combination of traits specific to it and fundamental limitations with electric vehicles. As an engineer would say, they're just not right for this use case; they're not the perfect tool for the job. That's not to say they don't have a potentially useful role with police departments or other governmental organizations—they just need to not be bought carelessly, lest they result in millions of wasted taxpayer dollars. "

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You said failed. It passed.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43453/turns-out-the-ford-mustang-mach-e-doesnt-make-a-great-police-car

I mean it's not a performance oriented EV not a comfortable cruiser IMO.

"Performance wasn't its only issue, either, as the Mach-E was ranked as the least comfortable and usable in several areas. Its steering wheel and adjustability, mirror controls, door locks, window switches, and stability control access were all dinged, as were dashboard and trunk accessibility. It was ranked as the least comfortable vehicle overall and had the poorest visibility, both likely due in part to the Mach-E's coupe-like roof."

"The Mach-E's poor performance appears to stem mainly from a combination of traits specific to it and fundamental limitations with electric vehicles. As an engineer would say, they're just not right for this use case; they're not the perfect tool for the job. That's not to say they don't have a potentially useful role with police departments or other governmental organizations—they just need to not be bought carelessly, lest they result in millions of wasted taxpayer dollars. "
That article wasn't slanted against EV's at all. :rolleyes:

It performed well enough to be one of only 11 recommended by the report. It's moving on to real world testing to see how well it does as part of a mix of vehicles departments have. It's certainly far more fuel efficient when "idling", which probably counts for more than "environmental control clarity" and steering wheel adjustments.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
In general, the heater will use much more electricity than the a/c. This person camped out in her Mach-E in the summer and lost only 7% of battery overnight while letting the a/c run for close to 8 hours. However, that's 7% from the larger battery (would be around 9% on the standard range battery). No idea how much the heater would use for 8 hours straight, but seems like if you are only driving 50 to 70 miles, you should still very much be fine.

You may also want to disable the vehicle's idle shut off. If the Mach-E remains on for 30 minutes without anything happening, the default is for the vehicle to shut itself off. You can access this setting by going to Settings -> Vehicle -> Vehicle Power Down Timer (turn it off).
Sponsored