mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It sounds like the LVB gets disconnected if the car is off for an hour? It seems like if it is disconnected there would be no drain on the battery, so it should be fine. On the other hand, the car does maintain the LVB even when off so it could be the LVB is low and is disconnected prior to it reaching the right charge level. Maybe there is another way to disable the car without disconnecting the LVB.

Also, there are a lot of reports regarding some cars having trouble maintaining the LVB properly, especially when it is cold. Those issues seem to take longer than a couple months to show up, but it might be an issue with your car. Here is one thread about it: https://www.macheforum.com/site/posts/329791/

There is a service bulletin for the back light staying on so you should be able to get the dealer to fix that. https://www.macheforum.com/site/posts/333154/

Glad the car is working out well for you! I definitely agree the heated seats and steering wheel are very important in the winter, especially if you are getting in and out of the car a lot.
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
LOVE the wrap!

• Heated seats and steering wheel are a must.
  • Vehicle Power Down Timer needs to be an option you can permanently disable.
  • I have PAAK set up. and walk away lock enabled If I don't shut the car down and walk away with the phone in my hand the horn beeps twice. I can not figure out how to turn that off. I have messed with the settings and still can not get that turned off. Its not very tactical.
a. you can get aftermarket heated/cooling seat covers
b. I'd like to see the power down timer be a 'sticky' setting as well for camping, etc
c. turn OFF walk-away lock, and lock the door manually with inside door button as you exit, or external door pillar 7-8,9-0

Questions I need help with.
  • The walking away horn issue mentioned above
  • try manual lock rather than auto which gives a confirm beep....
  • [*]Low Voltage battery warnings. It is usually when I start out in the morning. It has only happened a couple times. Just so you know The installers put a timer kill switch on all the police equipment installed. They turn off after an hour if the car is not in the on position. When I park for the evening I turn everything off anyways. How does the LVB charge?
    [*]
  • having all the police equip on for an hour when MME is off *probably* drains the LVB a bit more than original design intended. The LVB will ask for a charge when it drops to 12.0, and HV *should* charge it if everthing is working correctly.
  • [*]Over the last week I have had an issue with my Instrument Cluster. It does not appear to be powering down all the way. When I shut the vehicle off and exit there seems to be a back light is remaining on inside the cluster. This has not always been that way. I have came out in the morning and the light is still on. I am hoping this does not affect my LVB. I have added a picture to this. Sorry the pic is not really good it was pouring down rain. But you can see the light is on and had been all night. Also the cluster is warm to the touch.
    [*]
    [*]screens on will definitely use power, and pull on the LVB. you might want to have your Police stuff not stay on when car is off.... but DO disable the power-down setting and leave the MME 'on' all the time so that HV is powering everything all the time rather than pulling on the LVB.
    [*]
    [*]Updates. I keep reading about people getting there Over the Air updates. I don't think I have had any updates. Automatic Updates are turned on and I have the scheduled updates set for 0100 on Monday mornings. I the car connected to my mobile hotspot which is in the vehicle and I rarely turn that off. How do I make sure it gets an update and how do I check what version I am currently running. It says my system is up-to-date.
    [*]Charging: I find myself wanting to keep this car charged everyday. I get home around 60-70 percent battery remaining. I may either charge at home or charge first thing at work the next morning trying to get it as close to 90%. I start my work week out with a full charge then a just charge when I can during the week. the lowest I have been is about 45%. I don't like starting my work day under 80%. Should I occasionally run this down to say 15-20 percent.
    [*]
    [*]in you situation with significant pull from extra equipment, and the desire to be charged and ready to go all the time.... I would plug in every chance you get, and leave the car 'on' all the time. You do NOT need to run the battery down; Lithium prefers to be charged up

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
  • The walking away horn issue mentioned above
If you leave the car ON and close the driver door with the key outside of the vehicle, it will do that double honk. To avoid this, you would have to turn the vehicle OFF before closing the driver door. Or, search on the forum -- I think some of our hacker types have figured out which bits to flip via connection to the OBD-II port, to disable that honking.

• Low Voltage battery warnings. It is usually when I start out in the morning. It has only happened a couple times. Just so you know The installers put a timer kill switch on all the police equipment installed. They turn off after an hour if the car is not in the on position. When I park for the evening I turn everything off anyways. How does the LVB charge?
If you have a vehicle built June 2021 or earlier, you may want to bring it in for the Customer Satisfaction Program 21P22 updates. That is a package that will update these modules, and among other things, it fixes an issue where the LVB might not be charged while connected to the wall (EVSE) for a high voltage charge: PCM, SOBDM, BECM, SOBDMB, SOBDMC, ABS, BCM, OBCC, DCME, DCMF, DCMG, DCMH, RFA

Updates. I keep reading about people getting there Over the Air updates. I don't think I have had any updates.
On the other hand, if you have a "Job 2" (mid-to-late June 2021 or later) build, then your vehicle might not require any updates yet. Most of the updates so far have been towards fixing problems that were present in earlier vehicles, and getting them back into sync with the later builds.

Charging: I find myself wanting to keep this car charged everyday. I get home around 60-70 percent battery remaining. I may either charge at home or charge first thing at work the next morning trying to get it as close to 90%. I start my work week out with a full charge then a just charge when I can during the week. the lowest I have been is about 45%. I don't like starting my work day under 80%. Should I occasionally run this down to say 15-20 percent.
Sounds like you're doing great with battery management and fully getting the miles you require with lots of capacity to spare... Over time you'll worry less and less about this -- as long as you keep up your current habit of charging daily.

No need to bring the battery down to 15-20 percent. It prefers being in the middle (e.g. 50%) or up as high as 90%. That's your sweet spot range. The vehicle takes care of balancing out the modules in the battery pack. You shouldn't need to worry about it.

OP
OP
Jlaw276

Jlaw276

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E SE
Country flag
There is a service bulletin for the back light staying on so you should be able to get the dealer to fix that. https://www.macheforum.com/site/posts/333154/

Thanks MKHUFFMAN the service bulletin was spot on. I no longer have the cluster backlight issue and I no longer have the low LVB messages. So thank you.

One question I did not see anyone answer and that is about how to determine what software version I am currently running. Is there a way to determine that? I have tried car settings, Fordpass App and Fordpass website. No luck.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

Thanks MKHUFFMAN the service bulletin was spot on. I no longer have the cluster backlight issue and I no longer have the low LVB messages. So thank you.

One question I did not see anyone answer and that is about how to determine what software version I am currently running. Is there a way to determine that? I have tried car settings, Fordpass App and Fordpass website. No luck.
There is no easy way that I know of. If you have the dealer apply all the updates available in FDRS, you should be good to go. I also hear that the OTA updates are ramping up so there will be many updates coming OTA this summer and throughout the year.

rcpd34

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Premium
Country flag
FWIW, you may not want to advertise this as a vehicle in police service. Ford will send you a cease and desist letter as this vehicle is currently not intended for severe duty use, such as police work. They could void your warranty if continued. A letter was received here and the car was strictly used administratively; it was just marked for PR with no lightbar and some minimal emergency equipment. Another one was sent to the track and after 15 mins every warning light you could think of was thrown. The car is simply not ready for police work. I have had conversations with the police fleet folks at Ford and a police version, based on the GT, is in the works and even being tested in the UK. It's coming, hopefully sooner than later.

Skip Towne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x Premium
Country flag
Public policy question - Isn't charging the patrol car at home the equivalent of paying for your own gas?

I hope the Juicebox is smart enough to record your use - so fuel expenses can be reimbursed.

Overall, this is a great test and public service to show the viability of using an BEV patrol car that is fast enough to catch just about any scoflaw out there!

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
I have had conversations with the police fleet folks at Ford and a police version, based on the GT, is in the works and even being tested in the UK.
Yes, the GT models have 220-amp DCDC converters vs 160 amp in other trims. Making them better able to handle additional load on the 12V systems, FYI.

OP
OP
Jlaw276

Jlaw276

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E SE
Country flag
Yes between the Juicebox and FordPass logs I can document all my charging cycles. So far I have only used roughly $30+ of my electricity. I only charge it for an hour prior to preconditioning in the AM on the cold days. I will send the city a bill when it gets to $100 bucks.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Maryland State Police Maryland Capitol Police is trying out the Mach E:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Police Cars MSP Mach E

Looks like a basic Select (Mach E).

Last edited:

rcpd34

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Premium
Country flag
That’s not the Maryland state police.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Sorry, emblem says Maryland Capitol Police.

JRSNoVa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT Performance Grabber Blue
Country flag
FWIW, you may not want to advertise this as a vehicle in police service. Ford will send you a cease and desist letter as this vehicle is currently not intended for severe duty use, such as police work. They could void your warranty if continued. A letter was received here and the car was strictly used administratively; it was just marked for PR with no lightbar and some minimal emergency equipment. Another one was sent to the track and after 15 mins every warning light you could think of was thrown. The car is simply not ready for police work. I have had conversations with the police fleet folks at Ford and a police version, based on the GT, is in the works and even being tested in the UK. It's coming, hopefully sooner than later.
DHS seems to disagree:
Today, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) became the first federal agency to debut a battery electric vehicle (EV) fitted for performing law enforcement functions at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers’ Office of Cheltenham Operations. The Ford Mustang Mach-E is the first of a variety of EVs DHS plans to field across its varied law enforcement missions throughout the homeland.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2022/09/19...es-debut-first-fully-electric-law-enforcement

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You'd better tell NYC that quick!
The NYPD Will Soon Have 100 Mustang Mach-E Police Cars
https://carbuzz.com/news/the-nypd-will-soon-have-100-mustang-mach-e-police-cars
Sponsored