Mach E Sounds Clarification

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
On the Bolt Chevy provided a handy fuse for just the exterior audio system. Pull the fuse and all outside noises are gone (including some chirps to let you know its charging, etc.).
But I wouldn’t want to disable all exterior sounds since pedestrian warning is required by law. I’m fine with the whooshing sound, just not the beeping that makes it sound like a semi truck backing up.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
But I wouldn’t want to disable all exterior sounds since pedestrian warning is required by law. I’m fine with the whooshing sound, just not the beeping that makes it sound like a semi truck backing up.
But I like that. I often make air brake sounds when I stop, too.

Maybe that's just me....

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Oooh don't start that argument. We'll get 100 pages instantly of people arguing about the pedestrian noise (it might surpass the EPA milage topic(s)). Trust me I've seen it in other EV forums.

Some people don't like the noise and think its stupid and others point out its a safety issue required by law. Lather rinse repeat....

My Focus Electric was early enough (2013) that it was before the law went into affect so it was dead silent at slow speeds. Never hit anyone or surprised anyone in a parking lot (there was one time but it was intentional and on a street: A group of teens walking down the street not paying attention at all to anything so we crept up behind them and followed along for a good block before one of them turned around and practically jumped into another's arms ! LOL).

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
I've been driving hybrids or EV's since 2007. I too preferred the "silent era" and didn't have any problems. I always found it odd that my 2010 Prius beeped inside the car (but not outside) when backing.

The backup noise on the MME is subtle and has a softer tone. Way more pleasing than any other vehicle I've heard with a backup sound.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You can hear a bit some of the interior sounds in my ride along videos:
Baltimore, 6 minutes, sounds at end only
Columbia, 17 minutes, sounds on

and the outside sounds
accelerating
and slowing

The outside sounds are not very loud. You'll notice on the second one that they are quieter than the sound of the tires when turning on wet pavement. I also tried recording the outside sounds in Baltimore but they were so quiet compared with the noise from the nearby busy road, the rain, and the tires on wet pavement that I barely heard it and it isn't picked up on the video.

I really like that the outside sounds are much lower pitched than the ones on the Leaf. The whine of the Leaf is inaudible to some folks with hearing damage, especially older folks.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I always found it odd that my 2010 Prius beeped inside the car (but not outside) when backing.
I've read that is because the Prius had that odd shifter where someone may get confused if they were in reverse or not.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I've read that is because the Prius had that odd shifter where someone may get confused if they were in reverse or not.
I think you're right. However, it would have been better if they had it inside and outside.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
I really like the ID.4 shifter. You tilt it forward to go forward, and you tilt it backwards to go backwards. And there's a button on the end for park. (It may not be pretty, but it's functional and intuitive.)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E Sounds Clarification 1605483372317

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Country flag
I really like the ID.4 shifter. You tilt it forward to go forward, and you tilt it backwards to go backwards. And there's a button on the end for park. (It may not be pretty, but it's functional and intuitive.)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E Sounds Clarification 1605483372317
That reminds me a lot of the shifter on the BMW i3.

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
I’ve gotta say, the reverse sound is annoying. It just plays on top of the same sound it makes when driving forward, so I really hope we can turn it off. But I haven’t seen any settings in the menu to indicate we will be able to change it.
I’m still trying to figure out if you can turn off that initial sound when you start the car it’s that like bong bong bong on the screen loud or to sounds like boo dah loop boo dah loop 🤔

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Necro-posting record! Over 3 years. 😂
Sponsored