Mach-E stuck (front in) in a ditch

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
I drove my mach-e to my off-grid cabin out of the city. The person who was supposed to plow my gravel road didn't yet but the car is AWD so I thought I wouldn't have a problem. The driveway is about 200 ft with a very slight incline. Once i started driving in I realized it was more snow then I originally thought but wasn't sliding and making a slow steady pace up. I made it all the way to the top then when i made the turn to pull up right next to my cabin I fell into either a ditch or just tire tracks prove previous drives up when there was no snow. With the snow I didn't realize/notice the low spot.

Car is slanted. Back left tire just keeps spinning. Digging itself a bigger hole. All other tires don't move. Cant go forward or reverse.

With 100% of the cars I drove before this would be an easy fix. Someone pulls me out from behind. Can't happen with the Mach-E. Someone would have to go around my car, potentially going in the same ditch. Then come up in front and pull me forward through the ditch.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS

*fyi yes i regret the decision to drive up. This car is certainly not my old ford explorer.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E stuck (front in) in a ditch IMG_7961

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E stuck (front in) in a ditch IMG_7965

OP
OP
The Black Horse

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The photos shown are from right when i got stuck earlier today. The person is coming to plow the driveway behind me so if I am going to be towed/pulled out my savior will not be risking as much as i did. (until they have to get off the plowed driveway and swing in front of my car)

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
if you have the rubber mats in your car they suggest using them under your tire that is stuck to get yourself out.

OP
OP
The Black Horse

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if you have the rubber mats in your car they suggest using them under your tire that is stuck to get yourself out.
I do have the rubber mats. I will give that a try in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am not sure you can do it as the Mach is so low but the few times I have found myself in a similar situation I cleared out the snow from the underbelly of my car. I found as I dug in my car would come to rest on the snow. I have seen it happen a few times at traffic lights when the roads are plowed poorly and people stop on piled up snow. Hope you can get it out without any damage.

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2022 Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Yeah you’re unfortunately bottomed out. Going to be hard moving that thing without some external force pushing/pulling it

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
This is another tire fail, shouldn't be driving in deep snow with the stock Michelin tires, they just don't have much grip in snow at all.

If the battery is sitting on snow it's not going to move. You need to dig out under the car and dig a path for the other three wheels so it can easily roll forward. Dig it all the way out so you can see under the car to the other side and dig a 6' clear path in front of of all the wheels.

Also try to find a sturdy object to shove in front of the spinning wheel to grab onto, such as a 2x6" or traction board.

Remember the Mach-E has a low ground clearance like a car. If there's more than 5" unplowed snow you shouldn't drive through it. It is a station wagon after all...

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I’m with the person who suggested putting something under the tires to get grip. From the pics you don’t look too stuck, but it’s hard to tell. If you can get some off road recovery/traction boards it would work much better than floor mats. Also, if there’s an off road recovery Facebook group that operates near where you’re stuck usually those guys will get you out with no problem for a few beers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E stuck (front in) in a ditch ECA17C04-4C54-4881-A946-AC699B451EDF

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I’m with the person who suggested putting something under the tires to get grip. From the pics you don’t look too stuck, but it’s hard to tell. If you can get some off road recovery/traction boards it would work much better than floor mats. Also, if there’s an off road recovery Facebook group that operates near where you’re stuck usually those guys will get you out with no problem for a few beers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E stuck (front in) in a ditch ECA17C04-4C54-4881-A946-AC699B451EDF
Wow, I never knew such a thing existed. That looks like just the right tool for the job.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I wouldn't put my mats under the tire unless I wanted to have to buy new mats. Since someone is coming, they can bring SAND. Dump a bag of sand under the rear two wheels, and behind the front two wheels. Dig out the path behind them, and between the front and back tires.

Turn off traction control (see manual), and have two people push the front (carefully), as you slowly back up.

And never drive in that deep snow again.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
If you turn off traction control, you should be able to get power to two of the four wheels instead of one wheel spinning. This should enable you to back out a bit.

If your rescue is able, ask them to purchase a few bags of black or red cinders from the local big box home improvement store. Pour those under the tires and leading in the direction you want to travel.

If you have any rope, webbing, blankets, etc that you're willing to sacrifice to get unstuck, you can take off the plastic wheel covers, thread a few lengths of rope through the spokes of the wheel and around the tire, pull that tight and tie it. This will give your tire a bit of extra traction (or buy something like this for next time).

Put your rescuer in the vehicle with you to add weight (and thus traction) to the vehicle as you drive it out.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Everyone already gave all the practical solutions.

So I’ll just add: don’t send this picture to the IRS when we have to plead our “it’s an SUV, not a car” case.

OP
OP
The Black Horse

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Everyone already gave all the practical solutions.

So I’ll just add: don’t send this picture to the IRS when we have to plead our “it’s an SUV, not a car” case.
Cant legally tow, no spot for normal roof racks, gets stuck immediately - this thing is not an SUV as the U stand for utility.

OP
OP
The Black Horse

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was stuck all night. In the morning I had to call a contractor i know who helped me build my cabin to come try and save me. We dug it out pushed and pulled - and connected a chain to the front tow area and yanked and the car came loose.

I probably will be buying the aftermarket tow kit for the back of the car. I would never use it to have the car towed long term, but as a place I can attach chains to, to get pulled out of bad spots I don't see that being too much of a problem.

IMG_7980.jpeg

IMG_7981.jpeg