pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ugh. Better add “gets stuck in only 12” of snow while off-roading” to the issue list. The Tesla crowd is gonna have a field day with this.... And they didn’t even have a heat pump! :(
My biggest take away from this is the power draw from heating the vehicle. Seems quite high?

Tesla camp mode draws about 1% per hour on the Long Range AWD Y.

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
All season tires are really only passable in winter on well-plowed roads.

In any car with any tires if you're going to a remote area in winter I would say best practice is to be prepared to get stuck: blankets, food, water, maybe some planks, etc. Especially with wet snow.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
With snow tires or chains , you should be fine. I've driven in deep snow in a lowered Miata but with Blizzaks, I never got stuck. Tires make a huge difference.
Miata is always the answer!

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Yes low ground clearance means, FE AWD all. season tires m+s can no longer drive where the Macan used to. A yearly once route for me, dint ever see snow here before at this time of the year, just as I decided to go back after 20ft of snow, Got beached in snow late evening, and had us stuck with no cell reception nearest population was 40miles away.. Had to spend the night in the car up in griffith pinchord national forest, luckily dint snow that night. Next day morning, Was able to walk 4 miles to call 911 get a tow trailer, only to learn that in tow mode you can only tow forwards. No tow hook at the back. Had to gently tug at the wheels, cleared snow with a shovel below the car before that and it came loose and drove back all fine like nothing happened.

Was a horrifying night in the cold, only could use seat warmer for heat, the battery drains if the heater is on 2% every 5minutes. With seat warmer it was draining 1% an hour.
Me and wife were in there for 14 hours before we got out, Ford's roadside assistance would answer the call and then cancel without saying a word. We really need wider tires, and better ground clearance.

Lesson: learn to measure snow height before going on and carry a shovel. Snow chains do not help either..

Yes yes I understand I shouldn't have gone there, but the only way was to go further and turn around or stop and go back. It's when I stopped when it got stuck. No.issues as long as it was moving.

I've done this same route multiple times in a lot of cars at same.time of year, so went on with that.

Purchases made after this:
Tire Grabbers
Foldable Shovel
Heated Blanked

20210323_075042.jpg
20210323_080334.jpg
20210322_194718.jpg
20210322_194716.jpg
20210322_194705.jpg
20210323_100026.jpg
You forgot a bottle of emergency Rum in your purchases. It does better than seat warmers. I also keep a regular blanket and a Mylar blanket in the back of our vehicles.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
- Pack a small shovel like a foldable avalanche shovel, and a 12v Electric blanket (they are available with a 12v socket built in), under the rear cargo cover.... maybe along with some granola bars. ;)
If anyone is concerned enough to pack a shovel for winter, I would recommend steel. A square bladed steel shovel (not a spade) is not much larger than a foldable model and will break ice if necessary. You don't need to move a large volume, and plastic/aluminum shovels are almost useless for frozen snow and ice. A gallon jug or small bucket of salt/calcium carbonate chloride can be handy as well.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E stuck in snow, owners spend night in the car before they got help. 1616643448710

Last edited:

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My biggest take away from this is the power draw from heating the vehicle. Seems quite high?

Tesla camp mode draws about 1% per hour on the Long Range AWD Y.
MME has no "camp" mode. To get heat car must be on, drawing all the "on" power. but 1% every 5 min seems exceedingly high. i am thinking that is only 8 hours of "run" time?

Wallace

First Name
Sandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smart
Country flag
MME has no "camp" mode. To get heat car must be on, drawing all the "on" power. but 1% every 5 min seems exceedingly high. i am thinking that is only 8 hours of "run" time?
You're right. The MME keeps not only the cabin warm and cosy, also it's battery-pack ?

NEMuskRat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1983 Delorean, 2007 SC Mustang, 2018 F150 FX4, 2019 Escape
Occupation
Electron Beam Eng
Country flag
WOW! Glad you both are ok.

I also do not believe in All Season tires. I usually buy summer tires with the rims I like and put Good snow tires on the stock RIMS.

It actually looks pretty impressive where you ended up. I think I would want to be in my truck with the semi-off road tires in a place like that. Absolutely understand super tough decision on going forward or back.

At one time in the car pictured, I had studded snow tires all around. It didn't do bad even on ice for a supercharged standard with no traction control.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
You could probably get the car lifted with aftermarket springs. I'm in California so it's nothing but sun for me here.
Same for me, getting 85 degrees in the afternoon every day. Move south and avoid all those winter problems. Your cars and your lives will last longer.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I have a GT reserved with just 5.3" of ground clearance. I like to go skiing and the Mach-E will be my only car.

Am I picking the wrong car or should I not worry about it?
Go for water skiing in warmer weather. It is safer for you and the Mach-E GT.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Go for water skiing in warmer weather. It is safer for you and the Mach-E GT.
I'm guessing that you have never been to Washington State. Come visit some of our national parks and you may come to understand why we chose to live here.

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Glad you're okay!

I've been wondering about snow tires for my future (hopefully!) MME Premium AWD ER. I've taken to putting snow tires on my two PHEVs, the C-MAX Energi and the Pacifica Hybrid, since they're FWD and are usually running on the OEM low-rolling-resistance "all seasons," which aren't great on even light snow. (I have the garage around the corner swap the tires onto the factory wheels each late fall, and back again each early spring, rather than buying and then changing and balancing new wheels and new TPMS sensors each time.) I've been thinking I *won't* need to do that with the MME, with AWD balancing out the grip issue on the OEM tires it comes with. (I live on Long Island, east of New York City, so we get snow but not *SNOW* most winters, and I don't tend to explore mountain roads.)

So, am I right that, in normal (i.e., not like the OP found) snow conditions, I should be okay with the OEM tires and AWD? Thanks. {Jonathan}

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
So, am I right that, in normal (i.e., not like the OP found) snow conditions, I should be okay with the OEM tires and AWD? Thanks. {Jonathan}
all-weather versus snow tires are a weather-specific choice for sure.... The main differences in snow tires are: 1. the rubber itself is formulated to remain softer (stickier) at lower temps. 2. the tread usually has little 'siping' grooves that are designed to provide multiple 'edges' to provide a *little* grip on ice, 3. The tread 'lugs' are usually staggered rather than aligned to provide edges and clearance in loose snow.

whether or not you NEED snow tires is certainly up to you... but there are definite traction advantages to 'snow tires' if you have periods of low temps, ice, and snow even if it's not 'deep'.
Sponsored