Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Was stuck all night. In the morning I had to call a contractor i know who helped me build my cabin to come try and save me. We dug it out pushed and pulled - and connected a chain to the front tow area and yanked and the car came loose.

I probably will be buying the aftermarket tow kit for the back of the car. I would never use it to have the car towed long term, but as a place I can attach chains to, to get pulled out of bad spots I don't see that being too much of a problem.

IMG_7980.jpeg

IMG_7981.jpeg
Tow hitches are not rated for recovery and should never be used as such. It can easily take 10,000 lbs of force to pull a stuck vehicle out of snow. That will rip the hitch right off the Mach-E.

I suggest you get some driveway markers and mark the boundaries of your driveway in the fall before it snows. On curves it's especially easy to go off the road without markers to guide you.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Was stuck all night. In the morning I had to call a contractor i know who helped me build my cabin to come try and save me. We dug it out pushed and pulled - and connected a chain to the front tow area and yanked and the car came loose.

I probably will be buying the aftermarket tow kit for the back of the car. I would never use it to have the car towed long term, but as a place I can attach chains to, to get pulled out of bad spots I don't see that being too much of a problem.

IMG_7980.jpeg

IMG_7981.jpeg
Beautiful place, hopefully didn’t spoil the weekend. Glad you got it out!

Just Lurking

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
I wonder if snow chains would have avoided this situation (or even got you unstuck, if you had forgotten to put them on)? Maybe a good idea to stash a set in the car when you're taking winter trips to the cabin.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
You could have used slow constant pulling on the control arms like they do for every other car without recovery points. As long as you don’t “yank” it’s fine, never “yank” even on tow points unless you have a kinetic rope/strap.
AWD is only as good as the cars computer. Since it’s two independent motors you should technically be able to get two spinning wheels if the computers let you. Even that won’t be useful since the wheel with no traction is what spins. If the car had a really good brake controller it could get all 4 wheels turning. Obviously it doesn’t haha, it’s more of a performant awd design.

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I drove my mach-e to my off-grid cabin out of the city. The person who was supposed to plow my gravel road didn't yet but the car is AWD so I thought I wouldn't have a problem. The driveway is about 200 ft with a very slight incline. Once i started driving in I realized it was more snow then I originally thought but wasn't sliding and making a slow steady pace up. I made it all the way to the top then when i made the turn to pull up right next to my cabin I fell into either a ditch or just tire tracks prove previous drives up when there was no snow. With the snow I didn't realize/notice the low spot.

Car is slanted. Back left tire just keeps spinning. Digging itself a bigger hole. All other tires don't move. Cant go forward or reverse.

With 100% of the cars I drove before this would be an easy fix. Someone pulls me out from behind. Can't happen with the Mach-E. Someone would have to go around my car, potentially going in the same ditch. Then come up in front and pull me forward through the ditch.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS

*fyi yes i regret the decision to drive up. This car is certainly not my old ford explorer.

IMG_7961.jpg

IMG_7965.jpg
try turning traction control OFF first.....

then, you MAY have to get a tow truck with the gate lift, and
start digging..... run cable under the car to get to the holes in the front?

and when you do get it out.... install a rear hitch. even if you never use it to tow or a bike rack, it would at least get you out of a jam like this.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/diy-install-torklift-hitch-for-bike-rack-etc.5714/

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I wonder if snow chains would have avoided this situation (or even got you unstuck, if you had forgotten to put them on)? Maybe a good idea to stash a set in the car when you're taking winter trips to the cabin.
This is one of the reasons I installed the robust Ford Europe tow hitch on my AWD Extended Batt Mach E and carry 2 pairs of RUD EasyTop low-clearance snow chains in the frunk, along with a folding snow scoop. Both described elsewhere on the forum.

Yes that large low battery case can cause high-siding, depending on the type of snow. Sorry for your adventure and glad it ended well.

Stiff cardboard has a higher coefficient of friction than many realize... it is a cheap commonly available McGyver tool for snow and deep mud "stuckness".

JDP That's Me in My MachE

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E Premium Extended Range
Country flag
I drove my mach-e to my off-grid cabin out of the city. The person who was supposed to plow my gravel road didn't yet but the car is AWD so I thought I wouldn't have a problem. The driveway is about 200 ft with a very slight incline. Once i started driving in I realized it was more snow then I originally thought but wasn't sliding and making a slow steady pace up. I made it all the way to the top then when i made the turn to pull up right next to my cabin I fell into either a ditch or just tire tracks prove previous drives up when there was no snow. With the snow I didn't realize/notice the low spot.

Car is slanted. Back left tire just keeps spinning. Digging itself a bigger hole. All other tires don't move. Cant go forward or reverse.

With 100% of the cars I drove before this would be an easy fix. Someone pulls me out from behind. Can't happen with the Mach-E. Someone would have to go around my car, potentially going in the same ditch. Then come up in front and pull me forward through the ditch.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS

*fyi yes i regret the decision to drive up. This car is certainly not my old ford explorer.

IMG_7961.jpg

IMG_7965.jpg
Wait, AWD doesn't make you impervious to snow and ice? Not knocking the OP who obviously knows what he is talking about and took a risk to get to his cabin...just the idiots zooming down the highway blissfully unaware their AWD is not going to save them from sliding off the highway, or worse into another car in poor weather conditions. This to all the "I gotta have the AWD for the snow and ice" people.

Scott Libre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Dark Matter Grey Mach e
Country flag
I live 1.5 miles down a soft sand dirt road in a warm climate. I have had no issues with my AWD Mach e.

I have used crushed concrete mixed with the road's sand to improve problem areas. Creates a great base.

Regisren

First Name
Renan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e AWD ER
Occupation
Dentist
Country flag
Why you guys are saying can’t be pulled from behind ? Didn’t understand
I already got my tolwed from behind

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Why you guys are saying can’t be pulled from behind ? Didn’t understand
I already got my tolwed from behind
There are no factory tow points at the back of the MME. Any towing from behind *might* damage the car. The only factory-approved tow points on the North American MME are under the front end. 😕🐩

IMG_3090.jpeg

IMG_3088.jpeg

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
...unless we put one in :cool:
There are no factory tow points at the back of the MME. Any towing from behind *might* damage the car. The only factory-approved tow points on the North American MME are under the front end. 😕🐩

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E stuck (front in) in a ditch IMG_3088

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E stuck (front in) in a ditch IMG_3088
...unless we add a 1-ton shackle to a certain imported Euro Ford Mach E tow bar ;)

Rear tow 1-ton shackle, price $5.99 + tax.jpg

Rear tow shackle, powder-coated Racer Red, naturally..jpg

Rear tow shackle, mounted onto the Ford tow hitch's safety strap mounting point..jpg

Regisren

First Name
Renan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e AWD ER
Occupation
Dentist
Country flag
Owww didn’t know that.
the European version have a tow factory point behind too!
I live in portugal. Will send pictures soon

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag