Mach E vs. 2024 Kia EV9

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
Canadian trim descriptions (US trims not up yet on website)

https://www.kia.ca/en/vehicles/2024/ev9/specs?trimCode=Lorem&trimCode=Lorem

Annoyingly, the GT-Line isn't coming in a RWD package. That would've been the best option.

(Wind RWD) 200HP / 258 lb-ft. has a range of 300 miles
(Land AWD; 19" wheels) 379hp / 442 lb-ft has a range of 270 miles
(Land AWD Premium; 20" wheels) 379hp / 442 lb-ft has a range of 250 miles
(Land AWD GT-Line) 379hp / 516 lb-ft has a range of 240 miles

Last edited:

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
From what I can find online, my Premium extended-range AWD has a peak torque of 428 lb-ft. There's more than just torque that dictates acceleration potential, but it indicates that even the EV9 Land-trim AWD should feel pretty quick, while the GT-Line would be monstrous. (For comparison, the 2022 Mustang GT has a peak torque of 600 lb-ft, while the GT PE offers 634 lb-ft.)

I'm still interested and will plan to check one out in person when my local dealership gets one in. Hoping that the growing EV inventory nationwide indicates that Kia dealerships will cut the dealer markup; I'm not desperate enough to pay that. And if the EV9 releases and then we hear that there's a fully-electric Carnival due for release in the next 1-2 years, I'd probably hang on to that. Minivan-style sliding doors are amazing and it's crazy to me that more cars don't offer them.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
UK EV9 Spec sheet. Don't understand why Kia isn't offering a 20" wheel option- those would be the best compromise between the 19" and 21" without sacrificing too much range.

UK EV9.jpg

UK EV9-2.jpg

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Canadian trim descriptions (US trims not up yet on website)

https://www.kia.ca/en/vehicles/2024/ev9/specs?trimCode=Lorem&trimCode=Lorem

Annoyingly, the GT-Line isn't coming in a RWD package. That would've been the best option.

Take 25% deduction for winter range and AWD models suffer hugely! My GTPE epa 260 goes down to 220 to 240 during winter in Pittsburgh avg temps run in teens to 45 deg f

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ioniq 7 (EV9 twin) spotted in the wild

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs. 2024 Kia EV9 Untitled

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interestingly, the EV9 isn't selling well in S. Korea. Curious what EV9 pricing in the US will be, in light of the Model X price cuts.

https://thekoreancarblog.com/2023/09/08/kia-ev9-sluggish-sales-the-return-of-an-old-problem/
I read a report that the vehicle had a few issues... Kia is reportedly fixing them at no cost to the owners, but I wonder if the combination of it being a larger, SUV-style vehicle (which I assume doesn't sell as well in Asia - if they have larger vehicles, usually they seem to go with the more practical minivan form factor) and early reports of reliability issues are hampering adoption. Maybe cost, too.

I'd favor a minivan, myself (electric Kia Carnival when?) but I will check out the interior space to see if it could work for us and replace our Pacifica Hybrid when my local dealerships get them in.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I read a report that the vehicle had a few issues... Kia is reportedly fixing them at no cost to the owners, but I wonder if the combination of it being a larger, SUV-style vehicle (which I assume doesn't sell as well in Asia - if they have larger vehicles, usually they seem to go with the more practical minivan form factor) and early reports of reliability issues are hampering adoption. Maybe cost, too.

I'd favor a minivan, myself (electric Kia Carnival when?) but I will check out the interior space to see if it could work for us and replace our Pacifica Hybrid when my local dealerships get them in.
I'd buy an EV minivan in a heart-beat. Waiting on the EV-9 to see if I'll trade in my mach-e for it.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is Kia having problems with battery tech? Why can't it offer a larger battery?
My guess is it's the E-GMP platform and its standardization. I think Hyundai only makes it in two capacities, although I'm having a hard time verifying that online... but that could explain it.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
More spy shots of the EV9's remarkably different looking twin, the Ioniq 7. Very close to the concept design.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs. 2024 Kia EV9 gabetz
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs. 2024 Kia EV9 gabetz2

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
More details on EV9 pricing from a dealer- expected to run $60-90k and that's without Kia's infamous dealer markups. That is insane. Will it sell well with the Model X pricing at $79k?

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
More details on EV9 pricing from a dealer- expected to run $60-90k and that's without Kia's infamous dealer markups. That is insane. Will it sell well with the Model X pricing at $79k?
Exactly. AWD gets a dismal 240 to 250 less in colder climates. For a 5500 lb ev a 129kwh battery would have been much better for $90k. Model x and Rivian rs1 long range my choice.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Exactly. AWD gets a dismal 240 to 250 less in colder climates. For a 5500 lb ev a 129kwh battery would have been much better for $90k. Model x and Rivian rs1 long range my choice.
Plus real world ranges of Hyundai/Kia EVs are often 15-20% lower than quoted. You're looking at a sub-200 mile range for the EV9 in the winter.
Sponsored

Reactions: SWO