Mach E vs. 2024 Kia EV9

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
At the 7:21 mark in the GT-Line, it shows 77% battery life left with 364 km of range. Does this imply a higher than expected range for the GT-line, ~ 290 miles? I was expecting in the neighborhood of 250-260 miles.

Ghost Mach-E

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium Awd -VW ID4 Pro s Awd
Country flag
Just for clarification purposes, 2nd row swivel seats are not coming on the EV9 in North America. Just Europe. Swivel seats weren't approved for the US.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
EV9 is getting delivered to S. Korean customers! Exciting. What's less exciting are the specs. Top spec GT-Line with 99 kWh battery will have ~ 250 mile range. Starting price will probably be around $63-67k, ranging up to $80k for a top spec GT-line.

Has a heat pump. That's a beautiful red color! (windows aren't tinted on the pre-production vehicles)

Last edited:

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
- Comes with a heat pump
- GT line will have a higher than expected range @ 270 miles
- Wireless Android Auto & CarPlay
- Interface of its Highway Drive Pilot looks similar to BMW's Highway Assist; will have Level 3 functionality
- 10-80% charging in 24 minutes
- Price TBD

Boatload of EV9 first drive reviews:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a44298597/2024-kia-ev9-prototype-drive/

https://electrek.co/2023/06/28/kias-flagship-ev9-three-row-electric-suv-redefining-brand/

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2024-kia-ev9-first-drive-review/

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
I'm interested. Still would prefer an electric Kia Carnival (seriously, how can anyone who has ever used those minivan-style rear sliding doors favor standard car doors instead?!) but it seems pretty nice. About the only downside now is seeing that NACS is gaining traction as the new, superior charging standard in North America, and Hyundai/Kia haven't remarked on it at all. Oh well, there are always adapters...

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I'm interested. Still would prefer an electric Kia Carnival (seriously, how can anyone who has ever used those minivan-style rear sliding doors favor standard car doors instead?!) but it seems pretty nice. About the only downside now is seeing that NACS is gaining traction as the new, superior charging standard in North America, and Hyundai/Kia haven't remarked on it at all. Oh well, there are always adapters...
They made brief comments to the effect that they are evaluating and want to do what is best for the customer. The issue for them is sacrificing high charge rates for a more convenient charging experience.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
The standard itself isn't exactly superior - at least if you're worried about charge speed and coverage. It's access to the supercharger network that you want, which as you mentioned, is available with a Tesla to CCS adapter.

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
You're right, I'm mixing terminology when discussing standards. The port, itself, seems to be physically superior to J1772 (level 2) and current CCS-1 (DC fast charge/level 3) chargers that we use in the USA. It also simplifies things on the manufacturer's side. I suppose it's too early to call it as becoming the dominant physical port, but it seems to be gaining major traction. Pity to think that a vehicle purchased without it today will be outdated within the next 2-3 years, but I guess that as cars become more like regular old computing technology, that's the way things will go... at least, until the BEV field matures further.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I have been following the EV9 as well, but not as an alternative to our Mach-e. To me, I am wondering if it could be a potential replacement (if needed) for my Lightning. Love my Lightning and have no plans on changing, but with the price hikes and interest rates, I am not sure I could afford another one if something happened it it.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
You're right, I'm mixing terminology when discussing standards. The port, itself, seems to be physically superior to J1772 (level 2) and current CCS-1 (DC fast charge/level 3) chargers that we use in the USA.
Sorry - that's my point exactly. The port isn't physically superior, at least not by much, and certainly not enough to warrant a sweeping industry change so soon after EVs have finally started taking off. All the talk about broken handle-side latches is IMO very overblown, and that's about the only thing that affects CCS reliability when it comes to the port/handle.

The only thing the Tesla connector has over CCS is its size, but for some reason Europeans have no problems with their slightly larger CCS2 connector. Maybe it's all that communism and liberalism that's brainwashed them 😝😁

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Good point! I will edit the title with Ford Explorer EV vs. Kia EV9 once Ford gets its business together. :D
By the time Ford gets it’s EV business together, you’ll be able to read about the Explorer EV in Smithsonian Magazine.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Kia EV9 is unveiled in all its glory and I think it looks fantastic! Love that they've retained buttons on the dashboard (ahem Ford, BMW, Rivian, Tesla).

No details on official specs until April. Hope Kia bumps up the range and battery pack from the initial leak a couple months ago.

- has a frunk + heat pump!
- same cargo space as a Telluride
- 2nd row captain's chairs
- Advanced Highway Driving Assist (updated HDA2 + lidar) + Level 3 Highway Drive Pilot in some markets
- 230 kW max charging speed; 10-80% in 24 minutes for largest 99 kWh battery
- on sale in USA Q4 2023, early 2024

2024 EV9 RWD Standard; (215 hp, 258 lb-ft torque single motor)- 76.1 kwH battery, 0-60 in 8.2 secs, range = 223 miles

2024 EV9 RWD Long Range; (215 hp, 258 lb-ft torque single motor)- 99.8 kwH battery, 0-60 in 9.2 secs, range ~ 300 miles, ReAlLy SlOw o_O

2024 EV9 GT-Line; AWD dual motor (380 hp, 443 lb-ft torque)- 99.8kwH battery, 0-60 in 5 secs, towing capacity 5000 lbs, range = 260-270 miles

2024 EV9 GT; AWD dual motor (576 hp, 545 lb-ft torque), 0-60 in 5.3 secs, early 2025

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43316157/2024-kia-ev9-revealed/

EV9.jpg

EV92.jpg

EV93.jpg

Frunk.jpg

View attachment 95834

View attachment 95836

View attachment 95837
AWD 260 to 280 is actuallyv 220 to 240 highway range. Winter way under thsst. Its like our tesla model y AWD long range 320 miles is actually 300 at 65mph. Thd ev9 weighs 5500 lbs vs our Y at 3850 lbs and our GTPE at 5000 lbs. EPA rating coming out next year.