Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
My trip was going pretty well until I got 460 miles from home and a California Deer ran across the road into my car. I was on the brakes and swerving to avoid the creature but we could not avoid hitting it's left shoulder. The dear was stunned and recovered but the Mustang was not so lucky. Ghost Stallion is not drivable. The front right inner bumper is pushed back against the wheel. Waiting for a tow for 2 hours so far.
20211001_152333.jpg

20211001_152310.jpg
Man, that Sucks!!! Sorry to hear it. Good luck for today!!! Maybe get the AAA premium package & get it towed home? Not sure of mileage restrictions but worth a look.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Ouch. Really sorry to hear this. Hope they can make it drivable.

OP
OP
TruWrecks

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm at a dealer now in Corning. I asked them to remove anything that is rubbing on the tire and make sure nothing structure is broken. They said they will get me back on the road today.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
No tow company would come tow the car. None. After 5 hours of waiting we pulled everything forward with as much force as possible and drove it 78 miles to the nearest Ford dealership at a max of 30 MPH. Grinding the entire way.
That sounds really unpleasant. I hope you have better luck from now on!

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Wow, I just cringe looking at those pics. Hopefully the dealer(s) get you all straightened out in short order.

Ok seeing that I'm from Michigan and we're overrun with deer here I have to ask:

What, exactly, is a "California Deer" vs any other kind of Deer? (My google fu only returned "California Deer hunting season" which wasn't helpful.)

Venus

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 twinkling star white premium awd mach e
Country flag
My Star White is so sorry to hear of your Star White's accident.
My suggestion is Bell deer warning signal. I had an uncle who lived in deer country & swore by these whistles. For more than 20 years, I have always put them on my vehicles & given them as gifts. I have seen animals run back to the woods & no, it's not because of my driving ;)
As they need wind flow to make the sound (you or pets in the car won't hear) & are usually attached to the grill, I stuck them on the underside of the front of the MME so they hang upside down. I'm not sure how they'll hold out over the winter snow but they were only $14 in Canada.
It's a likely to each their own situation but I & definitely my late uncle have & had confidence in this product.
I hope this helps :)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Deer are the evil spawn of satan. Notice how they even have horns! Filthy, disgusting creatures. Why can’t THEY go extinct ?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
My Star White is so sorry to hear of your Star White's accident.
My suggestion is Bell deer warning signal. I had an uncle who lived in deer country & swore by these whistles. For more than 20 years, I have always put them on my vehicles & given them as gifts. I have seen animals run back to the woods & no, it's not because of my driving ;)
As they need wind flow to make the sound (you or pets in the car won't hear) & are usually attached to the grill, I stuck them on the underside of the front of the MME so they hang upside down. I'm not sure how they'll hold out over the winter snow but they were only $14 in Canada.
It's a likely to each their own situation but I & definitely my late uncle have & had confidence in this product.
I hope this helps :)
FYI there's no scientific evidence that deer whistles actually work. Tests have failed to show any difference in deer collisions with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_horn

I live in deer country too, but I know all I can do is keep a sharp eye out fo them at night, and that sometimes hitting them is unavoidable if they decide to run into your path.

Sorry to the OP, hopefully you can get things bent back and still drive the car while you wait for parts. It's a wounded Mustang...

OP
OP
TruWrecks

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Repairs in the works. Initial estimate is $6211.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs California Deer 20211013_142009

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs California Deer 20211013_142027

Tomorrow the front comes off to see what got damaged inside.

Last edited:

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Ouch, hopefully they don’t find anything underneath.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Sorry to hear this. I live up against the Rockies southwest of Denver. We live behind an uplift called the Dakota Hogback and there is a poorly lit road that feeds into our neighborhood. The Colorado deer here have developed this Darwin Award mentality of running out after a car passes. That gives you the bonus of seeing them milliseconds before you nail them. I've managed to hit deer twice here - one a buck in early October. He went up the hood of an Explorer and I had antler through the windshield. They give you the option of keeping the deer, but you have to apply for a tag from DOW. That once went to a mountain lion rescue place. The second was mid-summer where I managed to get two spring does with one shot. Driving my wife's mini-van and can still remember like it was slow motion watching the one spinning in the air. Piled it into a ditch and snapped off the driver's front wheel. They are like giant rats with antlers. They shit all over the yard, break sprinklers and make horrific noises when the local mountain lions take them down at night. Might just be Colorado deer and California deer are different. Now, we have the wasting disease, so you can't even trust the venison. Don't get me started about the elk. I had one standing in the middle of the freeway offramp one winter night during a bad ice storm. He was eye level to me in the Expedition as I slid past him. He never moved an inch.

Good luck with the repairs on the car. Very glad to hear that no people got hurt. Damn Califronia deer!

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Repairs in the works. Initial estimate is $6211.

View attachment 40531
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs California Deer 20211013_142027

Tomorrow the front comes off to see what got damaged inside.
I know the insurance will cover the costs after your deductible, but did they give you a timeline for how long repairs will take? I suspect that will be the painful part. Still, glad you are safe and the car is repairable.

OP
OP
TruWrecks

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I know the insurance will cover the costs after your deductible, but did they give you a timeline for how long repairs will take? I suspect that will be the painful part. Still, glad you are safe and the car is repairable.
No timeline yet. Tomorrow or Friday I will know more about the parts needed. The body shop said they will try to have the car back to me by the end of the month at the latest.

OP
OP
TruWrecks

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I talked to the body shop today and they said all parts are ordered and that the front bumper cover and some mounting brackets are back-ordered. The fender will be in tomorrow.

The body shop manager said he got a call from the Ford Electric Vehicle Service team about my car. They told him it was high profile and needed to be fixed with urgency. When he asked about the back-ordered parts Ford told him they will be expedited. Ford also requested the Service shop to do a software update on my car to address a few other issues while it is there so it is all done in one visit.

With some luck I might have it back end of the month fully repaired and updated.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I talked to the body shop today and they said all parts are ordered and that the front bumper cover and some mounting brackets are back-ordered. The fender will be in tomorrow.

The body shop manager said he got a call from the Ford Electric Vehicle Service team about my car. They told him it was high profile and needed to be fixed with urgency. When he asked about the back-ordered parts Ford told him they will be expedited. Ford also requested the Service shop to do a software update on my car to address a few other issues while it is there so it is all done in one visit.

With some luck I might have it back end of the month fully repaired and updated.
Interesting bit about the urgency call, seems posting about the accident may have got Ford corporate’s attention. Hope it results in a quicker fix!
Sponsored