Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm ready to purchase a Mach-E but I was wondering if someone could explain to me in layman's terms what the difference is between the Premium and the California Route 1? I live in the Midwest so I need AWD. When I configure the Premium with AWD and extended battery, it costs about $3,000 more than the California Route 1, which only comes with AWD and extended battery.

The local dealer says he mostly sees people buying the Premium and he's only sold one California Route 1. Is there something about the weather here that would preclude it? I don't want to read too much into the name. I guess the wheels are different but I'm not sure if I would care about that.

Anyone help with which one to order?

If this is the wrong forum, I apologize.
My experience is the same as JamieGeek except in Wisconsin. If the $3000 difference is critical for you, then the CR1 is a no brainer. I’m 76 and always lived in winter wonderland and this is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned.
Sponsored

OP
OP

snowdog

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Wow, a ton of great information. Thanks so much. You guys gave me more than I asked for and it’s greatly appreciated.

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME CR1 AWD
Country flag
Three observations from my 2022 CR1:
  1. The non-perforated black seats get damned hot in the summer. And they get clammy on long drives. I've only previously had cloth seats so this wasn't something I thought about. I wish I had the perforated seats of the Premium, though I've also been seeing reports of those seats cracking already only after a year or two. So maybe I'm glad I don't have them? I just wish I had cloth seats.
  2. The headlights are ok. They're certainly sufficient, but they have an annoyingly abrupt cutoff along the top. I do a lot of night driving in the mountains and it is limiting through the corners and approaching inclines. The high beams are better, though the intensity is not even across the beam spread. There is a noticeable bright spot in the center. I am not sure if the Premium headlights are better.
  3. The suspension is poor, and I suspect the larger sidewall of the 18" wheels exacerbates it. The vehicle is tightly sprung to limit body roll (though there still is some), but it pitches around on bumps like crazy. I keep a spare tire in the trunk and it goes airborne often. If I get bored in a couple years maybe I'll try to figure out if I can install the GTPE's suspension.

vertov

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I live in a snow belt area and bought the RWD Route 1 because of the range and options at the price point vs. the Premium. Just got some winter tires for it. I'm not worried. Good tires and the great weight distribution will make the RWD fine, I'm pretty sure. I had a front wheel drive C-Max with good tires and drove past stuck Pathfinders and Explorers during a historic snow event a few years back (six feet in one day).

It's hard to loudly disagree with the AWD/Snow sentiment because it's so prevalent. There are nuances, but I will guarantee you that non-car people automatically make the AWD assumption with little regard for the science.

Snow tires. Or even good tires. Thank you. :)

p.s. - I LOVE my Mach-E Route 1. We've named him Carlos.

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
Three observations from my 2022 CR1:
  1. The non-perforated black seats get damned hot in the summer. And they get clammy on long drives. I've only previously had cloth seats so this wasn't something I thought about. I wish I had the perforated seats of the Premium, though I've also been seeing reports of those seats cracking already only after a year or two. So maybe I'm glad I don't have them? I just wish I had cloth seats.
  2. The headlights are ok. They're certainly sufficient, but they have an annoyingly abrupt cutoff along the top. I do a lot of night driving in the mountains and it is limiting through the corners and approaching inclines. The high beams are better, though the intensity is not even across the beam spread. There is a noticeable bright spot in the center. I am not sure if the Premium headlights are better.
  3. The suspension is poor, and I suspect the larger sidewall of the 18" wheels exacerbates it. The vehicle is tightly sprung to limit body roll (though there still is some), but it pitches around on bumps like crazy. I keep a spare tire in the trunk and it goes airborne often. If I get bored in a couple years maybe I'll try to figure out if I can install the GTPE's suspension.
I was expecting the solid black seats in my Route 1 to be poor at dealing with the heat here in sunny Florida, but that hasn't been the case for me at all. Especially after tinting the side windows with a decent film (I find the windshield and sunroof reject heat well enough on their own). Hopping into the car after baking unprotected on 95+ degree days is no problem whatsoever in my experience. The seating surfaces stay as cool as in any car I've owned. I don't even bother using a windshield shade half the time.

Regarding switching to a GTPE suspension, you may want to consider this would involve lots of changes aside from the dirty bits, since the suspension settings are tied to the drive modes, and probably lots of safety/body control systems. By the time you change all the modules and do all the programming--if it's even possible--and upgrade wheels and tires, it would probably be more cost effective to trade in the car and buy a GTPE.

Having said that, the suspension is another thing that I was expecting to be much worse, and I am pleasantly surprised. No complaints from the family either.

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME CR1 AWD
Country flag
@satchel prefect with the seats I wonder if it's because you're using the A/C more in Florida. I'm in the SF Bay Area so frequently I only need slight A/C to keep the cabin air temperature comfortable. But I find myself having to lean forward to get air on my back because my shirt is getting hot and sticky.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I live in a snow belt area and bought the RWD Route 1 because of the range and options at the price point vs. the Premium. Just got some winter tires for it. I'm not worried. Good tires and the great weight distribution will make the RWD fine, I'm pretty sure. I had a front wheel drive C-Max with good tires and drove past stuck Pathfinders and Explorers during a historic snow event a few years back (six feet in one day).

It's hard to loudly disagree with the AWD/Snow sentiment because it's so prevalent. There are nuances, but I will guarantee you that non-car people automatically make the AWD assumption with little regard for the science.

Snow tires. Or even good tires. Thank you. :)

p.s. - I LOVE my Mach-E Route 1. We've named him Carlos.
Yeah winter tires are key. I bought a set for my wife's Focus Electric and that thing was a tank. Anyone that gets AWD as a single answer to snow is being foolish. AWD or 4WD are just for getting moving and just becomes more mass to stop when you are on slick roads. So snow tires are, by most any metric, more important than AWD since even 2WD you are almost always going to get going, but it's harder to stop with all seasons.

That said, AWD and snow tires is just about the best of all worlds. There is a now something like five year old video on YouTube that I love. They took a 4WD and FWD Escape to an indoor ski slope. They had both try to go up the slope with their stock all seasons. Both the FWD and 4WD made it to about the same point. Then they switched them to winter tires. The FWD made it about half way, but still way further than either did on all-seasons, the 4WD basically idled up the thing it had it so easy with snow tires.

The important part, and why you could drive by those Explorer's and Pathfinders is people think AWD/4WD is a replacement for traction instead of just another way to use traction. But without the right tires, you're just stuck in the same spot as the 2WD.

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
@satchel prefect with the seats I wonder if it's because you're using the A/C more in Florida. I'm in the SF Bay Area so frequently I only need slight A/C to keep the cabin air temperature comfortable. But I find myself having to lean forward to get air on my back because my shirt is getting hot and sticky.
We pretty much use the A/C year round in South Florida, that's for sure.

I will say though, that perforation alone doesn't seem to make much difference in avoid swamp-a$$ in this climate. Even ventilated seats aren't guaranteed to help, though the better ones definitely do.

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
For what it's worth, I live in Northern Indiana and bought a AWD Ca Rt1. The only differences I could see were no power lift gate and no fancy speakers (which I hear aren't all that much better anyways), both of which I can and do live without. And I love my car!

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GT and '22 MME CaliRoute 1 AWD
Country flag
I bought a California Route 1 and absolutely love it as it has the exact same driveline as the Premium with AWD and extended battery. It has the Bluecruise, same screen, same roof but you are limited to a black interior.

Some will tell you the headlights are not the best Ford has, maybe so but, they beat any other vehicle I have ever had.

The stereo isn't the top of the line but again think it is fantastic.

The liftgate is not power but again, I don't need that as I have never had it before.

Oh, and the passenger seat is manual but I don't ride on that side. LOL

Now as to the wheels I specifically bought the trim knowing I would change them out. In my opinion neither the Premium or California Route 1 wheels are not to my liking. So, I took the savings and bought the GTPE wheels and love the look!

Hope this helps a little bit. :cool:
thumbnail_IMG_0062.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0234.jpg
Did you see significant range drop when you changed wheels?

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Did you see significant range drop when you changed wheels?
Honestly I haven't owned it long enough to really tell.

KIMache

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME CARt1
Country flag
Actually the motor in front doesn't make that much of a difference as far as weight is concerned. The big thing is the huge battery between the wheels.
I was really hesitant to go RWD CART1 in Wisconsin, but in Feb. we test drove a RWD the afternoon after a morning snow and sleet storm, and I was shocked at how well it did. Way better than our FWD ICE car. So, DH won and we ordered the RWD CART1. That being said, we still have a Jeep, so will commute with that during predicted heavy snow, due to ground clearance, but I'm not concerned about regular road traction with ice or less than 4" of snow.
Sponsored

Last edited: