FusionEnergi

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
Mach E will have OTA and new features added over time. I saw a list of more than 10 items the team wants to add via OTA just in the first year after launch. I don't think all will make it but team is trying to prioritize and no you will not pay anything for OTA or need to got to a dealer
That's good to know. I hope OTA and technology are as fun as the tesla if not better. My friend has a tesla and he absolutely love the technology and some of its silly quirkiness. I love their sentry and dog mode. I love technology so if the mach e has something comparable or better, I am going to look forward to it.
Sponsored

CodyB

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Raptor
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Country flag
I Reserved a Mach E, but honestly Iā€™m having second thoughts on the OTA updates issue, I just donā€™t think a Ford will deliver like Tesla does in this area.

I have a 2019 raptor and canā€™t even get an incremental update to Sync 3.4 from their website... sure there is a hack way to download it and install on the forums but what makes us think they will push updates to thousands of cars and potentially create tech support calls and complaints for themselves if they canā€™t even post a file on a website for people who want it, and are willing to go through the minimal effort of copying it to a USB and listening to the radio while it installs for 15 minutes...

In any event, I have my doubts, Iā€™ve had a number of fords over the years and software and updates have never been something they have been good at.

FusionEnergi

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
I am worried that Ford will neglect the Mach E in OTA updates as they have so many ICE vehicles to tend to vs. Tesla's line up of EVs which they solely focus on them. So that would be my major concern unless ford has a dedicated team to monitor the mach e which would be a peace of mind if they do.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
On the other hand, this is the first vehicle using the new system, but not the last. Other new vehicles that incorporate Sync 4 (or whatever it will be called) are coming, too... The team working on it should remain in place for quite some time, supporting new vehicles as well as fixes and maybe new features. I'm trying to be hopeful, but yeah I hear you!

phila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-Pace HSE, Mach E (preorder)
Country flag
Im sure there will be issues at launch and with a batch of MachE as that is just normal now a days. The IPace im driving went through the same but after several months things stabilized. Tesla is no better either, every new model they release is full of issues, but they have mainly hardware faults and not so much on the software. With companies new to the technology of EVs, like Jaguar, Audi and Ford here, we can certainly expect some issues initially, however I am confident that things will go smoothly after some time. Ford themselves have said that their autonomous driving will not be available at launch and will come at a later date.
I have a MachE on pre-order as well and am not going to worry about the software side of things not being as they should as I know that will be the case anyway. I did read a post somewhere which showed that they have a huge team dedicated to the software side of things which is what they need.

SharpGT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
!974 Bronco, 2015 F150, and 2019 Tesla Model 3 Stealth
Country flag
Read a little bit more on this. Itā€™s supposed to be similar to Cadillac's system and will allow Operate without you touching the steering wheel. However there is a built in camera that will ensure you are keeping your eyes on the road (kinda creepy). However, Cadillacā€™s system wonā€™t change lanes automatically like Teslaā€™s. Iā€™m hoping Ford has this option when they release it, as they will have another year or two from now to work on it.
To have the Tesla automatically change lanes, you have to buy the $7000 full self driving package. It would be nice if Ford included this for free.

I think the question is whether or not the OTA Updates will be free like Tesla's. I could see Ford charging for updates to performance, range, or autonomous driving.
Tesla is now charging for a performance update on the model 3 AWD. It's $2000 for about a 1/2 second drop in 0-60 time.

Reactions: UW2

MNAce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
If Ford doesn't treat OTA updates and performances updates like Tesla, they're going to lose a LOT of customers to Tesla. I will sell my Mach E and buy a Tesla if that's what it comes to. Teslas business model is to treat customers well and make them want to buy new cars by loyalty and how they've been treated, not because their shit gets outdated and they are forced into timed obsolescence.
I think itā€™s a dangerous assumption that youā€™ll be able to sell your Mach E for anything near what you paid. We are still in that phase of the tech where itā€™s taking giant leaps - to me the current and forthcoming crop of EVs are like iPhone 4s when they came out. Everythingā€™s in place, but we still all anticipate giant leaps in the next and then subsequent next generation.

As a result, Iā€™m figuring my Mach E purchase, if I go through with it, is a long-ten commitment. By the time Iā€™m ready to sell Iā€™ll have to be comfortable To be driving an iPhone 4 in an iPhone X world.

My sincere hope is that Ford continues to support the Mach E and my ā€˜OGā€™ purchase for many years whether the product is a smash hit or one-off failure. Not a sure bet, unfortunately. Especially when market forces drive tough decisions like divesting your sedan portfolio.

Reactions: UW2

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I agree. My only outside hope is that the batteries will someday be replaceable with the newer tech and some hardware/software updates. The electric motors last practically forever.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I am worried that Ford will neglect the Mach E in OTA updates as they have so many ICE vehicles to tend to vs. Tesla's line up of EVs which they solely focus on them. So that would be my major concern unless ford has a dedicated team to monitor the mach e which would be a peace of mind if they do.
I am not because Ford created "Team Edison" that just deals with the Mach E and upcoming electrification vehicles.

TheBluf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
Country flag
So, I got in an argument with a Tesla owner over OTA updates. I remember seeing somewhere that all components, including the drive train, are OTA updateable; however, there is a CNET article stating that the drive train is not OTA update ready in the 2021 Mach E: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/fords-mustang-mach-e-begins-new-era-of-software-updates/.

Thoughts? This makes me a little less excited about the car, although I understand the security implications.

UW2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Actually I am more worried about hackers getting into the core systems than having those systems be OTA. I can always go to the dealer and get a "wired" update for core systems.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
Actually I am more worried about hackers getting into the core systems than having those systems be OTA. I can always go to the dealer and get a "wired" update for core systems.
I agree. The OTA update of every system on the car would be great if we didn't have worry about cybercriminals out there. I would rather my radio be affected than my drive/power train while i am driving. Ford did indicate that they are continuing to develop the features and will implement once they are comfortable they are confident that it is tamper proof and safe for their customers.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You would think it would be easy to overcome security concerns for online updates by having critical system related updates require the user to approve the update on the car's display. Also simple to have a car VIN match within the software before allowing updates. A hacker would have to match his software with your VIN number and be inside the car for any nefarious update to take place.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
You would think it would be easy to overcome security concerns for online updates by having critical system related updates require the user to approve the update on the car's display. Also simple to have a car VIN match within the software before allowing updates. A hacker would have to match his software with your VIN number and be inside the car for any nefarious update to take place.
The problem isn't rogue updates. That's easy to solve using digital signatures to prove that an update was released by Ford and no one else. That can happen transparently, and they are probably doing that.

The issue is that the software of the vehicle is remotely accessible. Meaning if there are vulnerabilities, (which almost all software has to some degree), they can be exploited.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
So, I got in an argument with a Tesla owner over OTA updates. I remember seeing somewhere that all components, including the drive train, are OTA updateable; however, there is a CNET article stating that the drive train is not OTA update ready in the 2021 Mach E: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/fords-mustang-mach-e-begins-new-era-of-software-updates/.

Thoughts? This makes me a little less excited about the car, although I understand the security implications.
The cnet article seems to contradict what Ford said in its reveal event. The cnet article says, ā€œFord's OTA updates in the 2021 Mustang Mach-E begins with infotainment systems, Washington said. It doesn't reach into the systems controlling how the Mustang Mach-E starts, stops, or steers.ā€

In the reveal, Ford said that hands-free driving would be available as an over-the-air update. It seems to me that the update would modify, steering, braking, and acceleration. I guess we will have to wait to see how the update is installed.
Sponsored